How old is this buck?

IDMONK

FNG
This is a 2022 Idaho buck, when I dropped him off at the taxidermist he sent me these photos of his teeth and commented how old he was. Any ideas on how old that might be?
IMG_1146.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpeg
    IMG_4209.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3314.jpeg
    IMG_3314.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 210
Fron my experience (I am not a biologist) I'd say about 7 years, possibly older. I doubt he had more than 2 more years left. My estimate was without seeing the mount,cas I was unaware of it until after my response. However, I would not change my response after seeing the mount.

S.Clancy

WKR
Molar wear is pretty specific regionally. That said, those are the molars of an OLD deer. I can't believe he was in good enough condition to grow that quality of antlers with teeth like that.

Tooth wear changes based on location, and aging based on wear is a guess at best. That said, I’d be surprised if he’s younger than 8. Only way to know for sure is to get an incisor processed.

Tick

WKR
8+ best guess by wear. 10+ at the lab wouldn't surprise me. Great trophy.

OP
IDMONK

IDMONK

FNG
Thanks for the input, cool to see a buck of this age caliber out there for sure.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome old buck. I would guess 8 by the teeth alone. What did the taxidermist guess? It would be worth sending in either way. I've only killed a few bucks that had teeth that looked like that. All were on the decline (personal opinion) of horn growth. Congratulations on getting a cagey old deer.

OP
IDMONK

IDMONK

FNG
Awesome old buck. I would guess 8 by the teeth alone. What did the taxidermist guess? It would be worth sending in either way. I've only killed a few bucks that had teeth that looked like that. All were on the decline (personal opinion) of horn growth. Congratulations on getting a cagey old deer.
The Taxidermist thought 10+ years, and also said he thought he was regressing as well.

Maverick1

WKR
I would not know. Never got invited to any of his birthday parties.

What difference does it make?