How Old is this Dall Shhep?

maduro

FNG
How Old is this Dall Sheep?

Took this sheep last year had two different ages provided by two different people. Guide 12 years F&G 10 years. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• Cropped Photo.jpg
    Cropped Photo.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

325 wsm

FNG
10 is the most I can get out of it. Definitely a couple of false annuli ( at 1 and 11 O'clock). Look at the change of angle on the inside of the curl. There is no change of the angles at the points I mentioned. 3rd year is by your thumb.

Shrek

WKR
First , I'm not even an experienced Internet sheep pro much less a real life pro but my thoughts were 9.5 years also. I'd guess the guide was fluffing and the G&F was just rounding up to give full years credit for the half year of last that you cut short. Either way it's a great ram :)

Stid2677

WKR
How can you tell what is a false anuli?

Really helps to see them from behind, also you can use your your finger nail on the back side, you should be able to detect a groove with your nail for a true annuli.

Sheep horns grow in segments, by understanding horn growth you can see if a segment is the expected size, with each segment shorter than the last years, most horn os grown between 2 and 3 and when they hit puberty at 4 they grown a dark annuli, of course this can be effected by a poor weather year or injury.

I would age the Ram at 9.5 and maybe 10.5, would like to see a photo showing the horn from behind.

OP
M

maduro

FNG
Thanks for all of the responses, this was my first sheep and first sheep hunt. I feel very blessed that I was able to take one of this quality.
No pictures from behind I will have to wait until the taxidermy is done.

Not a trophy hunter so the size never mattered, I just wanted a mature animal and was always interested on the two ages we thought it was in Alaska. I tried counting on my own with the information on the F&G website and was able to get 10 and maybe more.

Those of you that have done this before know how after all of those climbs trying to determine age and not having enough to harvest the ram means another climb the next day. This one did not need any counting when we saw it. Now the other problem is I never had any interest in sheep hunting until this trip, but now I am applying for draw hunts out west for the other species. Hunting sheep is like eating spicy food, it hurts but you can't stop at one and still have to keep trying.

Last edited:

Bambistew

WKR
I'd go with 10 for sure and maybe 11, but need a better picture without the hair to see whats lurking under there. Nice old ram!

False annuli present as a bit lighter ring, and don't fit with the decreasing segmental growth pattern... as the ram ages the horns grow less in length. False annuli tend to show up year after year in the same proportional location between age rings. The first false annuli are barely present at year 4-5, very visible between 5-6, 6-7, and 7-8, then fade away.

Here's my guess, the 10 ring might be the 9, and the 9 might be the false annuli, but it doesn't fit with the growth pattern... Hard to tell without it in hand.
View attachment 22472

Last edited:

Jdog

WKR
Really helps to see them from behind, also you can use your your finger nail on the back side, you should be able to detect a groove with your nail for a true annuli.

Sheep horns grow in segments, by understanding horn growth you can see if a segment is the expected size, with each segment shorter than the last years, most horn os grown between 2 and 3 and when they hit puberty at 4 they grown a dark annuli, of course this can be effected by a poor weather year or injury.

I would age the Ram at 9.5 and maybe 10.5, would like to see a photo showing the horn from behind.

what he said...horn from behind lets you really begin to separate the legit rings from the false annuli--thumb grabberz

Jdog

WKR
"angle" of year growth helps identifying as well but you really need to be close to see the difference. Each year the angle of growth on the horn will change

Yukon

FNG
I would say 9 but as mentioned above, really difficult to be sure without looking at it. (could be older for sure)

Lots of good tips above.
False annuli often do not have the same deep ring around the whole circumference of the horn. The angle is also key ( I usually look on the inside of the horn curve) to determine when a true annuli begins as the false annuli will likely be on the same angle as one before or after it. .

Really nice sheep, good mature ram !