How to KILL Disable a Primer

bis534

FNG
I need to disable some primers to put into Dummy Cartridges that We are going to make from some Brass 12ga Shotgun Shells from WWII. We want to Clean the Cases up put a disabled primer in, A Lead Slug and Laser Engrave the Case to make a display 12 ga Cartridge.
Thanks

sz28

FNG
Soak them in water or oil, remove the anvil, and scrape out the compound while still wet.

Knock out the primers with a removal tool.

Fill the hole in the base of the shell with epoxy or hot glue. Allow to dry.

Paint over the filler with a dab of brass colored paint, available at most hardware stores and at hobby shops.

No worries that way about old primer corrosion or still having a charge.

Wrench

WKR
i have put primer in a cup of water and they still fired that day.
i have sprayed them with wd 40 and loaded them and shot them.

test carefully.
Me too.

The primers are sealed after they're filled. There's no way short of pulling the anvil and removing the compound.

Marble

WKR
Safest would be spent primer
Thats what I was thinking. Just install, insert and fire. Then everyone would also know they are spent when they look at them. No confusion.

Or pop a spent primer in. Not sure how well a spent primer would stay in after coming out of one shell and going into another.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
If you are poking at primers be sure to use eye and ear protection. Not real sure your project is advisable.

Let them soak in Kroil.

OP, as some have mentioned, some primers are sealed during manufacture, and some oils won't penetrate that. If you absolutely require using an unfired primer, letting it soak for a few days in a penetrating oil is the way to go. Kroil, PB Blaster, and Marvel Mystery Oil would all be ones I'd consider, starting with Kroil.

After that, pull the anvil and gently scrape out the insides, remembering that the lead azide or lead styphnate the primer uses is a contact explosive. Be gentle and use appropriate safety gear.