How to use a mil/mil scope-reticle, turrets and proper usage

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So I want to make sure I am thinking along the correct lines with this Quick Drop stuff.

I ran my ballistics app using a 108 ELDM @ 3000 fps. To get my estimated "quick drops" to match dead on with the calculator, or to be within .1 mil, I had to deduct higher values from the base as my distance increased.

For my from 300-400 Yard I deducted .5 mils. From 400-500 I deducted .7 mils. From 500-600 I deducted 1 mil.

Am I way off in my thinking or understanding of the concept? Would I be better off to average out my base deduction? How many mils off in calculation is acceptable to still hit my target? .1, .2, .3 or is that all distance dependent?

Hopefully I am making sense. It is midnight though so I may be way the hell off on grasping all this.

What I would do is-

300= 1 mil.

300-500y= .5 mil off base

500-700y= 1 mil off base

That looks to keep you within .2 mils. For easy understanding .3 mils is 1 MOA approximately.

There are definitely some combinations that don’t work with the base, however even though generally have a way to make it work.

Rooggvc

WKR
What I would do is-

300= 1 mil.

300-500y= .5 mil off base

500-700y= 1 mil off base
So I used what @Formidilosus recommended. I didn't round up on my second numbers, I just used the second number at face value.

YardageMy EstimateStrelok
3851.3 Mils1.3 Mils
4251.7 Mils1.6 Mils
5832.8 Mils2.8 Mils
6453.4 Mils3.3 Mils
3631.1 Mils1.2 Mils
4872.3 Mils2.1 Mils
5152.1 Mils2.3 Mils
6353.3 Mils3.3 Mils
7004.0 Mils3.8 Mils

This is what I love about this forum. I have learned so much in the course of this past year. In a matter of about an hour of reading and practicing tonight, and because of people like @Formidilosus who willingly help and share information, I was able to pick 9 random yardages and calculate my drop within .2 mil. (Just like @Formidilosus said ;).)

I really appreciate all the individuals on here who willingly, and non judgmentally, contribute their knowledge and experience.

Jimbee

WKR
So I used what @Formidilosus recommended. I didn't round up on my second numbers, I just used the second number at face value.

YardageMy EstimateStrelok
3851.3 Mils1.3 Mils
4251.7 Mils1.6 Mils
5832.8 Mils2.8 Mils
6453.4 Mils3.3 Mils
3631.1 Mils1.2 Mils
4872.3 Mils2.1 Mils
5152.1 Mils2.3 Mils
6353.3 Mils3.3 Mils
7004.0 Mils3.8 Mils

This is what I love about this forum. I have learned so much in the course of this past year. In a matter of about an hour of reading and practicing tonight, and because of people like @Formidilosus who willingly help and share information, I was able to pick 9 random yardages and calculate my drop within .2 mil. (Just like @Formidilosus said ;).)

I really appreciate all the individuals on here who willingly, and non judgmentally, contribute their knowledge and experience.
Strelok has a nifty "speed drop factor" Screenshot_20230803_180419_Strelok Pro.jpgScreenshot_20230803_180429_Strelok Pro.jpg

z987k

WKR
I just upgraded phones and Strelok is no longer available… had it on the old one and can’t get it on the new. Was my go to app as well. Pretty bummed, lost all my rifle data I had stored there well. Now need to create new rifle profiles in another app. Playing with Hornady 4DOF and shooter. I don’t like the shooter app as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's because it was made by a Russian dude, and they suspended any money or payments to Russians.
There was an article a bit back about the russian army using it to calculate artillery "hold overs" if you will. You'd think they'd have something better than an app on a phone but ballistics is ballistics whether the round is 6mm wide or 80mm wide.
Google how to extract an apk file, do that with it on your old phone and send it to your new one.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Strelok has a nifty "speed drop factor" View attachment 584089View attachment 584090

Yes, it is the same idea, however when “Speed Drop” is explained it is done in a confusing way. The cleanest and easiet way mentally to do it, is to remember that “2” comes off the first number of the range, than the decimal is used. So 530 yards becomes 3.3 mils. Memorize the “Base” completely, then you figure out what your correction off the base is. For his gun/ammo, .5 mils off base from 400-500 yards, and 1 mil off base past 500 yards is easier to remember and use under stress.

Last edited:

Jimbee

WKR
Yes, it is the same idea, however when “Speed Drop” is explained it is down in a confusing way. The cleanest and easiet way mentally to do it is remember that “2” comes off the frost numbe run the range, than the decimal is used. So 530 yards becomes 3.3 mils. Memorize the “Base” completely, then you figure out what your correction off the base is. For his gun/ammo, .5 mils off base from 400-500 yards, and 1 mil off base past 500 yards is easier to remember and use under stress.
Yes, it is the same idea, however when “Speed Drop” is explained it is down in a confusing way. The cleanest and easiet way mentally to do it is remember that “2” comes off the frost numbe run the range, than the decimal is used. So 530 yards becomes 3.3 mils. Memorize the “Base” completely, then you figure out what your correction off the base is. For his gun/ammo, .5 mils off base from 400-500 yards, and 1 mil off base past 500 yards is easier to remember and use under stress.
Yes, I would have no idea what that Speed Drop chart meant had I not already been introduced to the quick mil calculations you have shown. It's just a handy reference for me to figure out if it's a "good" gun, "bad" gun or something different.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yes, I would have no idea what that Speed Drop chart meant had I not already been introduced to the quick mil calculations you have shown. It's just a handy reference for me to figure out if it's a "good" gun, "bad" gun or something different.

Oh yeah, it’s good, I just wanted to put it out there for anyone reading it because when they google “Strelok speed drop” they’ll read stuff that confuses more than makes it clear.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Proper usage is no different however what Form and others discussed about wind brackets and standard calibers will not work near as cleanly as with mil/mil.

Select "velocity calibration".

This screen will appear. It will let you input multiple ranges and the actual adjustments needed to hit center. I used one range so put "600" for distance and "4.1" for the adjusted.
[Linked Image]

Go to the bottom and hit "calculate". The "trued" muzzle velocity will appear. Then hit "use MV". The system backward calculates the true muzzle velocity and changes your settings. Now the drop card reflects what you actually needed to hit- i.e. It has been "trued".
[Linked Image]

You can do this without the shortcut by manually changing the MV until the projected drop matches your actual.

After this we're done. The gun is zeroed and the ballistic program is trued out to 600 yards. It will now give you good data for all ranges 600 and in. I didn't hear, but you want to true if possible as close to transonic as you can. It gives you the best data. In all this remember- garbage in, garbage out. Input good data.

P.S. You'll note that there are no extra holes, no "whoopsies", no "flyers", no nonsense. Solid rifles, solid ammo, and solid optics with matching reticle and turrets is the easiest and simplest to use system that you can buy.
Thank you for the great tutorial. I will save it for future reference.

Well, I have read about Mil on more than one occasion. Understood the basics but I have never used a mil scope. This is the best example I have seen. Simple, to the point, pics with reticle, goes a LONG way.
Strong work!!