Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 my take on it >----------------->

ontarget7

WKR
First off the new carbon riser looks much better in person than the pictures. The definition and camo pattern appears to be an improvement as well. Have a feeling this is definitely an upgrade from previous years. Overall balance and feel while in your hand is great, typical carbon riser bows from Hoyt. The new Z5 cam is very smooth and transitions well throughout the draw cycle. I feel it does load up front earlier but does not hold the weight as long as the RKT cams. This gives way to a bigger valley which some will be happy about and what they wanted to see changed. On the other hand when you increase the valley you have to give up something and that is a little speed. From my testing so far they are still coming in right at their IBO rating but previous years were definitely coming in over IBO rating. I saw very little difference from stock strings to custom string from a speed standpoint. The most I squeezed out of this one was a IBO equivalent of 335 with the right speed nock configuration. I will be doing more testing on this in the very near future. One other note on the stock strings that are a 28 strand count. The diameter is larger at nocking point so the G nocks are not holding up very well from the tight fit. Just be aware this could be a problem and would recommend if shooting the G nocks to order some Beiter nocks instead.

Now for tuning, this particular CS 30 tuned up very well at my typical center of limb bolts centershot, which by the way moved slightly. It is now measuring 13/16 off of the riser to center of limb bolts. Previous years have been more like 3/4". I included pics of pre lean and a pic at full draw so you can see zero lean at full draw, as well as perfect alignment with string track and arrow at full draw. Pre lean with this particular one at a 28" draw was just about parallel with the string when laying the shaft on left side of cam for a right handed shooter. Top cam advancement was typical at roughly 1/16 ahead of the bottom and nock height was 1/8" nock high. Tuned up very well with bareshafts and fletched flying on the money. Sorry ruined the fletch arrow in the pic with the bareshaft.

One thing I did notice was an increase in stiffness of the riser. When dialed in, the sight pin is just barely to the left of center of shaft at brace, which is a big difference from previous carbon Hoyt bows in the past.

Overall the CS30 is a winner in my book. With a great feeling draw cycle and great hold at full draw. Holding weight is roughly the same as last year but the increase in valley some will really like for a hunting bow. They are also extremely quiet and will see if I can get some decibel readings when I get some time.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. Here are few pics

Shane

ra7esuna.jpg
ru9amudu.jpg
asutedah.jpg
ugy7esyh.jpg

I will try and get some better quality pics up this weekend.

Looking forward to my CS Turbo to come in :D

I'm seriously looking at getting a carbon turbo but I want to try on first. It's tough finding a lefty at 27 since they just got released. Nice write up!

Keep in mind for IBO numbers this is the #3 cam in the A slot at 28" so you will gain some speed going to a #2 cam in the E slot at 28"

I did a DBA test and it came up at 62-63 dBA at 1 ft away from the bow. I believe the Element was coming in at 64.

I have a spyder 30.. I think i am going to get a carbon turbo with 80# limbs b4 my moose hunt in 15.. I may see what they come out with next year first..

Back