Finding old cam modules to increase draw length

tcroft18

FNG
I was really fortunate to be gifted a compound bow by a friend who can no longer use it. It's a 2009 Hoyt AlphaMax 32. It's set to a 27.5" draw length on an XTR #2 cam w/ XR-2D mods. After going to the archery store and getting measured, I'm a 28" draw length. So I need an XR-2E mod to get 28" DL. Question is, how hard is it to find these cam mods? This is my first time using a bow, and I'd like to get enough practice in to be effective by the open of deer season. So I certainly don't want to be waiting around months until I find the exact cam mod I need online. Another route is get an XTR #3 cam w/ XR-3A mod, but then I need to get it restrung (and even then - it would be difficult to find that combo). If it's not worth it, I might consider getting a used bow and transferring over the sights and all the other goodies, but I'd love to be able to use this bow if possible.

Check ebay for the mod, lot of stuff on there.

Also, there's another forum that is archery related that has a dedicated classified area just for cams and mods.

Other thing is, the shop measuring you is just a starting point. Different factors but it's likely you are plus or minus upto an inch from that measurement. You can put a longer D loop on it to shoot it as it is at a longer draw length. You might not get face contact correctly, but it might be a good way to start. Could find the 27.5" is correct, or that you need 28.5, or actually 27".

It will be a challenge but it’s doable. Check eBay, set alerts for the 28” mods, post a WTB on archerytalk.

It might take you months unfortunately to find the correct mods. I’ve played around with older bows and patience is critical.

It’s definitely not worth swapping cam and swing to the #3 unless you already need a new string. Putting $ into such an old bow you won’t see that $ back