HR 127 and BHA

gabenzeke

WKR
I know BHA gets beaten up a bit on here, but I'm genuinely curious where they stand here. They all applaud Democrats for getting elected, and now that party is introducing a bill that would make firearms ownership unaffordable for so many. maybe they're okay with gun control itself, but have they considered the impacts to PR funds if this passes? How the heck do we get them to get everyone fired up for this the way they would if a National Forest were being sold?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chad E

WKR
I know BHA gets beaten up a bit on here, but I'm genuinely curious where they stand here. They all applaud Democrats for getting elected, and now that party is introducing a bill that would make firearms ownership unaffordable for so many. maybe they're okay with gun control itself, but have they considered the impacts to PR funds if this passes? How the heck do we get them to get everyone fired up for this the way they would if a National Forest were being sold?

BHA is not the NRA or other gun advocating groups. You are not understanding the difference if you expect them to be as fired up about it as they would be if the national forest were sold. I'm a member of both groups for different reasons. We need to stop thinking advocacy groups should jump way outside their sideboards to take on every single issue we feel is personally important.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
BHA is not the NRA or other gun advocating groups. You are not understanding the difference if you expect them to be as fired up about it as they would be if the national forest were sold. I'm a member of both groups for different reasons. We need to stop thinking advocacy groups should jump way outside their sideboards to take on every single issue we feel is personally important.

I don't see how this wouldn't be an important issue since the group name is "Backcountry Hunters and Anglers".

Does the hunters part of their name not mean anything? If this issue doesn't fire up that group, it's a sad day.

Chad E

WKR
I knew I shouldn't of replied as this will go silly sideways. I can't see the need to involve BHA in an insanely crazy bill that can't even get cosponsorship in a congress full of radical democrats until it gets more legs. If it were to actually make progress I would expect all groups involving hunting to come out against it. Have we gotten a statement from RMEF or the Mule Deer foundation on this proposed bill?

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
But they DO claim to be a group for hunters and conservation. Both of those would be decimated should this administration implement any of the gun control ideas they have suggested so far.

The second amendment isn't about hunting. It never has been. I would suggest that theres probably hunters out there who aren't pro 2a. That's why I support groups like the NRA who are solely pro 2A
I realize the 2A isn't about hunting, but in this day and age you need to stand by it 100%. Hunters who aren't pro 2A also makes no sense. BHA is an organization of pansies that stand by and don't take a position on AR15s, wolves, or really anything. In all honesty they should change their name to Backcountry Hikers and Anglers.

Chad E

WKR
This is my last post on this subject as I don't want to go down the rabbit hole. Think for a minute about flipping the groups with the logic presented here.

There is currently an absolute garbage proposal in the montana legislature to give 60% of non resident license to outfitter garunteed set aside. Montana BHA has come out against it but I haven't seen the NRA make a statement. I don't expect them to and that's not why I give them my money. I want them to spend it defending the second ammendment.

I dont see how we can expect groups to be effective expecting them to fight on all fronts all the time.

Okhotnik

WKR
lol. here's a BHA board chair calling for gun bans and confiscation recently in an op ed. Why is a BHA board member writing such an op ed for banning firearms?

Just a silly misunderstanding Im sure and were all just too stupid to understand the nuances. Are RMEF or MF board members writing op Eds for gun control? Right here check it out

https://missoulian.com/opinion/colu...cle_f601b1b0-17e1-5e60-9136-ebe2e5aa4981.html

Regarding Washington, which I hunted for many years, deer and elk tags were reduced in many units in Washington over 70 per cent and not a word from BHA. In fact BHA has close ties with conservation NW, an anti hunting organization run by a former eco terrorist, that helped shut down predator seasons and helped stopped wolf , cat management in Washington.

keep drinking the BHA koolaid though, they really do have hunters' backs lol

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
That bill has zero co-sponsors. It´s exceptionally unlikely to even make it out of committee. Crazy bills like this get written up all the time that never get voted on. This particular one´s been around for a year.

You see someone in Joe Manchin´s position voting in favor of this sort of stuff? This would be political suicide for tons of Democrats. That said, no reason not to stay vigilant, write your reps to express your disapproval, etc. It´s always good for politicians to know where their constituents stand. This bill is going nowhere though.

I´d also echo the above sentiments about it being out of BHA´s lane. Everybody says the 2A isn´t about hunting, then gets super upset that BHA isn´t the NRA. Can´t have it both ways.

The NRA didn´t lobby for access for hunters in two Oregon wilderness areas when they went to a permit entry system last year. Nor did they take a stance on the sale of the Elliot State Forest.

Which is totally fine.

It would be weird for me to expect them to, because they´re an organization of gun lobbyists, not a public lands advocacy group.

hodgeman

WKR
lol. here's a BHA board chair calling for gun bans and confiscation recently in an op ed. Why is a BHA board member writing such an op ed for banning firearms?

Just a silly misunderstanding Im sure and were all just too stupid to understand the nuances. Are RMEF or MF board members writing op Eds for gun control? Right here check it out

https://missoulian.com/opinion/colu...cle_f601b1b0-17e1-5e60-9136-ebe2e5aa4981.html
While I disagree with Busse's premise in the article, I didn't see any calls for outright bans or confiscation you're alluding to. The bill is about Vermont carry and the article is about carrying on college campuses and in bars.

That isn't generally considered an extreme viewpoint, even by pro 2A standrards.

There's enough factual stuff to cross sabers with BHA about that you shouldn't have to make stuff up.

HR 127 has components of gun control bills dating back to the early 80s...that thing is DOA.

Hoodie

WKR
Is BHA for game management? If so you would have that they would have taken a position on the introduction of wolves in Colorado. Instead they dodged the subject and never would fully come out against it.

These are their statements on two recent ballot box biology issues. It seems to me they made it clear in both instances that they were against wildlife management issues being decided through legislation/referendum/ballot initiatives.

I am also against that.

These are their statements on two recent ballot box biology issues. It seems to me they made it clear in both instances that they were against wildlife management issues being decided through legislation/referendum/ballot initiatives.

I am also against that.
They never stated if they were for wolf reintroduction. Just that they were against ballot initiatives. Also the founding member of the Colorado Chapter Dave Peterson was instrumental in getting our spring bear season banned.

Okhotnik

WKR
I'm not defending gun control. I told you I disagreed with Busse's premise. But I didn't just make shit up out of thin air like you did.

If you want to have adult conversations, act like one.
again why is BHA getting involved in gun control issues when they refuse to deal with much more important hunter related issues? Where is gun control in BHA's charter?

simple question

Hoodie

WKR

Regarding Washington, which I hunted for many years, deer and elk tags were reduced in many units in Washington over 70 per cent and not a word from BHA. In fact BHA has close ties with conservation NW, an anti hunting organization run by a former eco terrorist, that helped shut down predator seasons and helped stopped wolf , cat management in Washington.

keep drinking the BHA koolaid though, they really do have hunters' backs lol

I don´t think this is a nuance deal.

I´m pretty sure that dude in the op ed is saying he supports the idea that someone would have to take a class to concealed carry. I may be misinterpreting it, but I don´t see anything about bans or confiscation.