HR 622 - Please contact your representative

Takem

WKR

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully the people of Utah keeop the pressure on Herbert and Chaffetz.

There in lies the problem. The UT majority...continue to support Herbert & Chaffetz. Many think that the OR show is wrong and is using this as an excuse to bail out of UT. It's truly bewildering. To the UT Gov....getting control of the land is more lucrative...then the OR show by a long ways.

Last edited:

Takem

WKR
To the UT Gov....getting control of the land is more lucrative...then the OR show by a long ways.[/QU

Thanks for your input Gdog. What do the people of Utah hope to gain? Are they being sold on increased jobs if the state takes over the land? I've seen some of the reponses as to why it would be good for the state but I'd like to hear what you think is dirving it. I can't imagine job gains would make up for losses from the outdoor industry in the long run.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Their bread is buttered with expo money. Or show just bought money to down town slc they didn't get a slice of that pie for reelection. You want to get a reaction pressure the expo vendors into leaving

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
To the UT Gov....getting control of the land is more lucrative...then the OR show by a long ways.[/QU
Thanks for your input Gdog. What do the people of Utah hope to gain? Are they being sold on increased jobs if the state takes over the land? I've seen some of the reponses as to why it would be good for the state but I'd like to hear what you think is dirving it. I can't imagine job gains would make up for losses from the outdoor industry in the long run.

My $.02's..
It's point of control....and anti Fed. "We can do better". Have to remember that fair amounts of areas around some of these monuments are/use to be coal/mineral/mining/gas communities. Its a way of life and how some make a living (or use to). "Locking" up this land in monuments is considered as taking money out of these peoples pockets. They don't like having an "outsider" tell them what they can and can't do in their backyard. For the politicians...its control and the ability to make $$ from the ground by leasing rights or outright selling it, which they cannot do if its a National Monument.

Chaffetzs not only wants Fed land turned over to State control...he wants the BLM disbanded (622)and he is also now pushing to do away the Federal Department of Education. See the pattern?

Here's an article from one of our local news stations. Scroll down the page and check out the "comments". Read through those and you should get a good idea of how some of the "locals" feel....

Outdoor Retailer announces it will not include Utah in future outdoors show | KSL.com

Last edited:

Takem

WKR
Thanks for the explanation gdog. I had read the article but not looked at the comments. It was eye openning to read how much the at least that segment of the population is behind the governer.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Here's some more. Another push for State control of natural resources, from our outdoor friendly UT reps (and WY)....

Analysis: Utah's Bishop wants Endangered Species Act to be on the threatened list | The Salt Lake Tribune

Analysis: Utah’s Bishop wants Endangered Species Act to be on the threatened list

"In his opening remarks, Barrasso declared that the act "is not working today," adding that "states, counties, wildlife managers, home builders, construction companies, farmers, ranchers and other stakeholders" have made that clear in complaints about how it impedes land management plans, housing development and cattle grazing, particularly in Western states, such as Wyoming."

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's some more. Another push for State control of natural resources, from out outdoor friendly UT reps (and WY)....

Analysis: Utah's Bishop wants Endangered Species Act to be on the threatened list | The Salt Lake Tribune

Analysis: Utah’s Bishop wants Endangered Species Act to be on the threatened list

"In his opening remarks, Barrasso declared that the act "is not working today," adding that "states, counties, wildlife managers, home builders, construction companies, farmers, ranchers and other stakeholders" have made that clear in complaints about how it impedes land management plans, housing development and cattle grazing, particularly in Western states, such as Wyoming."
I'm not sure what the answer is but the endangered species act isn't working as designed. Only thing it does right now is make lawyers money. Spotted owl was a substantial impact on logging of the PNW, with little to no gain for the owl. Wonder what the total legal dollars spent on the wolves issue will be. Grizzly bears are another hot topic that's not going away as population is impacting humans regularly now.
Political groups are using the ESA to tie up huge chunks of land for use not related to species restoration IE. Sage grouse movent. It's not about sage grouse but trying to limit the gas and mineral extraction across the west. You shouldn't hide behind something to push a totally different goal. I'd be scared to throw it all out but it definitely needs a rework to provide a clear starting and ending point to when and what action are required and when they stop. Also the legal fee reimbursement issue needs to be addressed. Valuable resources are wasted to fund lawyers on technical over sights. These groups are funded purely by tax payer money footing court costs

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: