Hunting Accident in South Dakota

Gobbler36

WKR
We have a rule in our group. If you're hunting with others there is no round in the chamber.
Safeties get flipped off, straps, fumbling or whatever can pull that trigger. No bull or buck is worth killing someone.
Our whole family hunts antelope together and I never chamber a round unless I'm ready to shoot. It's never hindered my ability to kill anything.
This is my rule also
it still amazes me that I’ve had to offend people and tell them if they are hunting with me the chamber is empty till we are on an animal Some look at me sideways at still.

grfox92

WKR
Sounds like most here are of the opinion that you shouldn't have a round in the chamber. I assumed that meant all firearms since the topic is safety.

I was taught that the safety was between your ears. I'm not telling anyone not to keep your gun and ammo separate if that's what you believe is in your best interest. Thats just not my opinion.

If I have an accident feel free to point and laugh and call me a dummy.
You are misinterpreting. People are talking about not being chambered while hunting with a long gun. Due to the fact that the firearm is out, being handled, sweeping around, being take on and off of packs, slung and un slung ect. Too much opportunity for a trigger to get pulled.

2 years ago me and my partner still hunted chambered. Several times we both notice his m70 was off Safe. He would put it back on and we would notice it off again. It was slung or strapped to his pack and it happened over and over. We no longer carry chambered while rifle hunting.

I carry CC every single day. That gun hasn't been unchambered in months. But I take it out of the safe in the morning in its kydex holster, put it in my waist band and don't touch it until it goes back in the safe at the end of the day. Not much opportunity for an accident there.

Having been a member here for many years and seeing the CC conversation many times, almost everyone on this forum who CCs carries chambered.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

We were chasing bunnies this fall and I passed off a shotgun to a friend who told me it wasn’t on safe. I was mortified and mentally shut down the rest of the day. I have an OCD side to me - I’ll come downstairs in the middle of the night to check locks on the doors and on our vehicles. I’m the same way with my safety - checking it routinely throughout a hunt. I can’t stop thinking about that mistake.

Always amazes me how little people communicate about gun safety while hunting or traveling to and from. It gets discussed in our group often. Especially around young hunters.

Reactions: OMF

jimh406

WKR
Guns that aren't pointed at people don't shoot people loaded or unloaded, but I'm not saying a round should be chambered all of the time for all types of hunting. In some cases, like upland hunting ... there is almost no time to chamber a round after the bird is flushed.