Hunting Big Game with Man’s Best Friend

Do you hunt big game with your dog along?

• Yes

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Depends on the hunt

Votes: 21 30.0%

• Total voters
Guarantee no warden is writing anyone a ticket for a having a dog with them. I'll take that bet everyday of the week. My horse sees or hears game before me a lot of the time, guess i better turn him into the warden. I'm good friends with a warden here in western wy, and can guarantee nobody is getting a ticket for having their dog with them. I know many people who take their dogs including myself. My pup stays dead silent behind me, and is about the best hunting partner I could ask for. Had plenty of bulls in archery range last year with my pup right at my feet. I enjoy being in the backcountry far more with him than without, makes everything more enjoyable for me.
7e0f4338af72d752058982f80b35df06.jpg
9e0905199da6d04380910f68d1c7e377.jpg
7adac265e36479fd83de8f49bd5e18a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

I had a lab who came along on many deer hunts. Deer never seemed bothered if they saw her. Steady to the shot and never made a noise.
Then there was Fritz the pudelpointer. Smart as a whip, also stubborn. He would sound if on a deer or coon. Could chop for hours on a treed coon. I never put the time into training him properly but I enjoyed having him.

I have a velcro Labrador that never leaves my hip no matter where we hike. She's a great duck dog and doesn't chase deer or even really acknowledge them but she will chase and bay hogs. I'd love to bring her out West on rifle hunts but don't know how she'd react with new smells such as bear. She also gets pretty excited when she sees me shoulder a firearm due to the bird hunting, she knows it's going down. We'd need to practice longer sits pointing rifles.

This is Tilly. German Wire Haired Pointer. Died last year at 12. She and I shot 258 deer together during her life time. She indicated them while at heel, and found them after the shot. A wonderful hunting dog and companion. Bella is the Lab in the second pic. 14 months old and shaping up to be just like Tilly. Bella and I have shot 26 deer together and she has done some wonderful blood tracking. IMG_5368.jpgIMG_0047.jpg

I've turned many walkers, redbones, and beagles out on whitetail, does that count?

I've never brought our pet dog along while hunting, but she's done some scouting with us and joins us for the packouts. She's also blood trailed a couple elk unsuccessfully(I'm pretty sure they lived) and found a whitetail doe.
If I had a dog as well trained as yours I would bring it along. It would be hard to prove a single lab, birddog, or similar was being "used" to take big game. Now, I wouldn't try explaining 3 or 4 hounds chomping at the bit.
Per CPW
A.
2. Dogs
a. Use of dogs in the taking of wildlife is prohibited except as authorized in Commission
Regulations. (See also: §33-4-101.3, C.R.S.)
2. A leashed dog may be used as an aid in locating and recovering wounded big game wildlife, except for black bears, with the purchase of an annual tracking permit. Tracking permits can be purchased for $40.00 from any Colorado Parks and Wildlife Office by the dog handler. Prior to using the permit, the dog handler must notify a Colorado Parks and Wildlife Office and provide the following information: the dog handler’s name, hunter’s name (if different than the handler), hunter’s CID number, location of use, species to recover, and time of use. Within five business days of using the permit, the handler must also notify the Division regarding whether they recovered the carcass....
Colorado's tracking law is a bit ridiculous. They want you to purchase a permit at the office, that's probably closed on the weekend and hours out of the mountains and report all sorts of information. I guess I'll just be hiking with my dog like all the other hikers at the trailhead.
I don't care which state or what their "tracking" law is, If I draw blood on an animal I'm going to make every effort to recover it including putting a dog on it.

2021-09-03_11-59-44_269.jpeg2023-09-11_09-18-16_732.jpeg

Love seeing dogs in action! I’d pick up and move home if I couldn’t hunt with my dog(s)

My old girl didn’t miss a trip for 7 seasons (now retired). 7 fly in’s and many hike in. She’d pack 12 days of her own food in, and either meat or garbage out. Saved my rear twice from grizzly bears, truly my best hunting partner ever.

She packed 18 ponds of sheep meat for me this solo trip
IMG_2650.jpeg

6 trips to the lake, 2km each way, 15-20 pounds of moose meat each trip.
IMG_4116.jpeg

Our first harvest together
IMG_2342.jpeg

First time big game hunting with the dogs along. Both those dogs are gone now.
1205.JPG

Yep, works. Archery bull.
20220909_183125.jpg

Antelope too, but it does hinder stalks. Below is a morning doe that didnt' require any stalking, but but I shot a buck on this hunt at 350 yards right at dark where I could have stalked to 150 about an hour and a half earlier without the dog.
20220922_072847.jpg

Optimal glassing position (his not mine).
20220921_083306.jpg

Also they can be a benefit if they are good navigators.
20220923_093452.jpg

I have a Rottweiler that goes with me everywhere. He's not disciplined enough to try Bow hunting with him but I didn't really make any attempts to train him either. Had him on a bear kill less than 3 weeks after I picked him up from the breeder.
He loves the woods and there's not a cop or law on this planet that would keep me from taking him.
dbf6be486ffd7fc85c5e59bdb00046fe.jpg
c3142155b152d7d5cef38d2ab2180a86.jpg
08fae016228eb4559f568cbfb0cf0035.jpg
bd9b87d6d7ad7d9ae27c4529c0879cf4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

"Guarantee no warden is writing anyone a ticket for a having a dog with them. I'll take that bet everyday of the week. "
Interesting as I've had GW tell me they would write that ticket if your dog alerted you to game before you shoot. My bet is they would have to witness it though.

Y’all have convinced me to try and bring my dog with me this hunting season. My only concern is some a-hole shooting at movement since I’ll be hunting a crowded CO 1st rifle tag. But I’ll just make sure to put orange on him. Also have a WY antelope tag this year so that might be a fun one to do with him.

Jason-

Not trying to pick scabs. I run in the same circles. And would take my DD any/everywhere. And will with the next one. My old dog is about done.

Having just returned as a WA resident( I F'ing hate it)....I could have sworn there is language that states "not in the presence of big game".

I did have a guy (not LEO) get sideways with me over having my DD along on a WT hunt here on the E.Side.

And just me...but I would be willing to bet there are plenty LEOs who would write that ticket. I'll take the same gamble...but we may lose.

Aren't you a Judge or Breed Warden now?

Awesome thread.

I would love to train a dog to bow hunt with me. My current Aussie won't do- he goes ape shit just seeing a squirrel.

Is there any resources you recommend on training a dog to do this?

Older pic of my hogs with dogs days.
alex valley hog88.jpg

Semi OT...but we have a mutual friend (I think) who has a United Blood Tracking Dog.....he finds the DDs struggle on blood. And I agree. Just too much HP and nose up and balls out. Hard to slow them down effectively.

Any exp. getting one to slow down and keep a nose down?

Love seeing dogs in action! I’d pick up and move home if I couldn’t hunt with my dog(s)

My old girl didn’t miss a trip for 7 seasons (now retired). 7 fly in’s and many hike in. She’d pack 12 days of her own food in, and either meat or garbage out. Saved my rear twice from grizzly bears, truly my best hunting partner ever.

She packed 18 ponds of sheep meat for me this solo trip
View attachment 708263

6 trips to the lake, 2km each way, 15-20 pounds of moose meat each trip.
View attachment 708264

Our first harvest together
View attachment 708266
+5 points for neat gun and pretty bomber looking color phase bear.

Colorado is straight up illegal to have a dog with you while you hunt. It’s unfortunate and I’d love to bring mine. You can get around it with the blood tracking license but I’m not sure how much effort that takes to get.
Another good reason why I left Colorado 49 years ago...

Back