Hunting Journal

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I started journaling my hunts at a young age. I wrote about my first deer kill when I was 8 and Buckmasters ended up having a kids writing contest about hunting memories shortly after so I sent it in. Ended up winning a coyote hunt in SD. I’ve always brought a physical small notebook in a tree stand and wrote down weather conditions, wind direction, location, etc. It really helps when targeting a specific deer and you can look back and see where you saw him at certain times of the year and what the weather was like. And they do tend to stick to the same pattern year after year.

My Dads two buddies (brothers) had at least 5-6 huge binders with each page having a picture and a journal entry of every day they hunted or fished together the past 40 years. I love going up to fish camp every spring and pouring through those books. So much good information in it and just reading about funny stories like someone fell in the water or lost a rod or missed every shot grouse hunting. I could sit there for hours reading them. Would love to start putting one together similar
Great info! I appreciate the response!

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I started doing it a few years ago, I keep a notebook wedged in between the seat and console of the truck and then record the days events when I get done.

I try to log everything pertinent to the scout/hunt. Where I hunted, morning/evening/all day, temps, wind, clear or cloudy. Then I go on to document what happened that day, critters seen, what food the deer where eating where I observed them and so on. It’s definitely helpful. An example would be-just this year, I was able to watch a 5+ year old buck prefer a certain area every time we get a strong west wind. I doubt I would’ve put that together without multiple occasions and the conditions that were present. I probably would’ve just passed it off as. “This buck is back in this location again today for whatever reason”.

No, but several times a day I do journal my inner feelings. Can I discuss it with you? Of course not. They are my inner feelings.

Edit: I think journaling is a great idea, I’m just too lazy to do it. I do carry a canon sure shot in my pocket because it’s kind of quicker to take photos with than a phone. so I take a lot of photos of hunting and fishing trips.

Last edited:
OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
@Plainsman79 That is great insight! I have never really thought about the aspect of “accidentally” patterning a deer. I have never been very good at patterning, so journaling may help me put it together. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crosser05

FNG
I tried keeping a running document to ultimate write a hunting biography, but being typed doesn't do the inital recap of the hunt justice. I always found pen and paper to be best, to convey the hunt.

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Rite in the Rain journals hold up good for this

Looks like I’ll grab one of them today. Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have several of them for different types of hunts/hunting locations, or just go with one for everything?

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I’ll grab one of them today. Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have several of them for different types of hunts/hunting locations, or just go with one for everything?

Started this just over the past year since i never find myself going back into all my pins to read notes on OnX and dont find taking notes on my phone to be as effective. So i got three, 1 for whitetail hunting (i live in PA), one i started this year as i spent a week in CO scouting this summer for my muley hunt this fall (half that book is going to be from the scouting trip and the second half will be from the hunt, hoping we find success as this might be super cool to look back on and read when im 60), and i do a lot of solo summer backpacking trips so i usually have more time at night so my third one I just use kind of as a journal when i am out there. I think u can buy the small ones in like a 3 or 4 pack so thats how i like to do mine to keep it organized somewhat. Those books i have found are just very durable

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Started this just over the past year since i never find myself going back into all my pins to read notes on OnX and dont find taking notes on my phone to be as effective. So i got three, 1 for whitetail hunting (i live in PA), one i started this year as i spent a week in CO scouting this summer for my muley hunt this fall (half that book is going to be from the scouting trip and the second half will be from the hunt, hoping we find success as this might be super cool to look back on and read when im 60), and i do a lot of solo summer backpacking trips so i usually have more time at night so my third one I just use kind of as a journal when i am out there. I think u can buy the small ones in like a 3 or 4 pack so thats how i like to do mine to keep it organized somewhat. Those books i have found are just very durable

Good deal. I live in GA, so a whitetail journal is something I really need to work on, too. Going on a couple backpacking trips to hunt bears and muleys later this year, so that 3-4 pack will be perfect

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Good deal. I live in GA, so a whitetail journal is something I really need to work on, too. Going on a couple backpacking trips to hunt bears and muleys later this year, so that 3-4 pack will be perfect

That’s awesome man! Good for you, that’ll b a blast. Keeping a journal is something you definitely won’t regret

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
That’s awesome man! Good for you, that’ll b a blast. Keeping a journal is something you definitely won’t regret
Thanks man, I appreciate it! Happy hunting, get a biggun this season

Warmsy

WKR
@Warmsy gotcha. Great info, thanks! I would also like to know what kind of weather info you are including? Are you going as far as to report to barometric pressure and moon phase, or just the basic “cloudy and humid”?

No I don't include barometric pressure, but now you got me thinking maybe I should. Mostly wind conditions, did it rain, is it supposed to rain? Was cold in the morning, basic things I think might be helpful. Other wildlife in the area, what shrubs and trees are fruiting. Moon phase.

I also use it to note gear changes I want to make, which is huge. Add a buckle for this, or a shooting glove would be more appropriate than a tab, stuff like that. Because I hate putting on my pack for a day out and think damn I meant to change that!

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
No I don't include barometric pressure, but now you got me thinking maybe I should. Mostly wind conditions, did it rain, is it supposed to rain? Was cold in the morning, basic things I think might be helpful. Other wildlife in the area, what shrubs and trees are fruiting. Moon phase.

I also use it to note gear changes I want to make, which is huge. Add a buckle for this, or a shooting glove would be more appropriate than a tab, stuff like that. Because I hate putting on my pack for a day out and think damn I meant to change that!

Ah, that’s great advice. Especially the gear changes! I always think of what I want to change, and never remember until I go back in the field. Thanks!

jayhawk

WKR
My dad gave me an outdoors journal when I was a kid. I’ve kept it many years and it’s absolutely worth every penny and effort I’ve put into it.

I've wondered about doing this but never did. No being much of a writer, I think I would have a hard time structuring it and knowing what to write and where. I'm afraid it would be full of chicken scratch notes without any meaning.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

kdsulliv

FNG
It may seem like pointless info to write down until you have many years worth of local data to compare long-term weather changes and such to. You can learn a lot about what did and what didn't work in your area over the years. Warren Womack kept scrupulous records and his journals became a wealth of knowledge on southern archery hunting he has shared on a great podcast - give it a listen!
https://deerassociation.com/warren-womack/

I am keeping a journal of all my pig hunting on Oahu as it's been very difficult to catch up to them with a longbow, and I am trying to look for patterns and learn from my mistakes. I just keep a word doc. that I add to when I remember. I think it is very important to add what didn't work as well as what did.

Another version of this that a lot of people do is keep a camp journal in a deer camp. They are filled with as many good memories as they are good hunting advice.

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I've wondered about doing this but never did. No being much of a writer, I think I would have a hard time structuring it and knowing what to write and where. I'm afraid it would be full of chicken scratch notes without any meaning.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

That’s how I felt when I started doing it, and that is why I didn’t keep it up

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
It may seem like pointless info to write down until you have many years worth of local data to compare long-term weather changes and such to. You can learn a lot about what did and what didn't work in your area over the years. Warren Womack kept scrupulous records and his journals became a wealth of knowledge on southern archery hunting he has shared on a great podcast - give it a listen!
https://deerassociation.com/warren-womack/

I am keeping a journal of all my pig hunting on Oahu as it's been very difficult to catch up to them with a longbow, and I am trying to look for patterns and learn from my mistakes. I just keep a word doc. that I add to when I remember. I think it is very important to add what didn't work as well as what did.

Another version of this that a lot of people do is keep a camp journal in a deer camp. They are filled with as many good memories as they are good hunting advice.

Thanks for the podcast recommendation, I’ll definitely give it a listen! Word Doc is a great, idea; my only concern is not being able to write in it while in the field. I am kind of forgetful, so I may forget to type in some of those minute details that often make the biggest difference.