Hunting with my children- Looking for trespass fee/unguided/land owner tag recommendations?

firebird

FNG
I have this posted over in the mule deer and elk sections and it was suggested that Antelope would maybe be a better hunt.

I don’t have many pronghorn points and 0 experience hunting them.

My Children are going to be 6 and 4 this fall and they enjoy coming along hunting at home which has been heavily modified to accommodate them and keep everyone happy.

Which also means when I travel to hunt abroad I’ve been solo hunting cause my hunting buddy (Wife) stays home with the kids.

I’d love to include everyone on a antelope/Muley/elk hunt.

What I’m envisioning is some private land we can drive around and honestly glass from the truck until it’s time to stalk or make short hikes to other glassing points.

Anyone with any info please let me know! Much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Elk is mainly a mountain climbing endeavor. Mule deer involves a lot of glassing and being away from the roads.

Antelope are perfect, if you could just find a spot where you could road hunt without a dozen guys behind and a dozen in front of you fighting over the antelopes on public. They are very visible, hard to miss actually - used to be many everywhere and more recently not as many as before.

Start/keep collecting points. There are literally 10,000+ guys in line ahead of you. Very competitive these days.

There is a story on here about a guy who took his 2 kids out and got a nice antelope with a little help from a GW and his family - excellent read. I applaud him for doing it and will applaud you as well.

if you want what you seen on TV, you will need private access or to go mid-week a week or two after opening day. In many units, the animals will be mostly on private by then. I went once to a "combat unit" and it was exactly that. The antelope were almost totally on private on day two.

You gotta understand how it works out there - they see maybe a car a week, then suddenly there are a handful of cars driving around and stopping near them, then a flurry of vehicles the day before. Then on opening morning it's like the LA freeway. After first shooting light the road hunters go Mad Max and race all over the place. The critters have now been pressured for several days and the noisy things are shooting at them and their buddies are dying. But they sure know that once they cross that fence line it all stops. They stand and stare to you from10 feet inside safety.

You'll see critters but they may or may not be on legal hunting ground. That's the risk.

Mojave

WKR
Landowner tags have become 50-80% the cost of a guided hunt that includes a landowner tag. Especially for good units.

There are ranches here in New Mexico that do guided antelope hunts for $5000, and they sell land ownertags for $3000-4000. New Mexico limits antelope hunts to 3 days.

hunterjmj

WKR
Just find a unit, apply and go. You'll adjust to the pressure and adjust to hunting with the kids. If you don't get one it doesn't really matter much as you'll be with your family. We take our kids antelope hunting every year and it's a test in patience but the time with your little ones is priceless. Keep after it and it will work out.

OP
F

firebird

FNG
Just find a unit, apply and go. You'll adjust to the pressure and adjust to hunting with the kids. If you don't get one it doesn't really matter much as you'll be with your family. We take our kids antelope hunting every year and it's a test in patience but the time with your little ones is priceless. Keep after it and it will work out.
That’s how it goes hunting at home lol but some of the best hunts in my opinion, for quality time and memories.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I have this posted over in the mule deer and elk sections and it was suggested that Antelope would maybe be a better hunt.

I don’t have many pronghorn points and 0 experience hunting them.

My Children are going to be 6 and 4 this fall and they enjoy coming along hunting at home which has been heavily modified to accommodate them and keep everyone happy.

Which also means when I travel to hunt abroad I’ve been solo hunting cause my hunting buddy (Wife) stays home with the kids.

I’d love to include everyone on a antelope/Muley/elk hunt.

What I’m envisioning is some private land we can drive around and honestly glass from the truck until it’s time to stalk or make short hikes to other glassing points.

Anyone with any info please let me know! Much appreciated. Thank you!
How many antelope points do you have?