Hypothetical Ethics Question

go_deep

WKR
Just wondering if people's options change from each scenario and why? Total curiosity question on my part.

Scenario 1. Close friend or relative (that you like) goes deer hunting and the regulations changed, they didn't read the new regulations, and there's a 4 point restrictions for bucks. They come back with a 3 point. Turn them in?

Scenario 2. Same close friend or relative (that you like) knows that the regulations changed from any buck to 4 point restriction, and comes back with a 3 point bragging about it and screw the new point restrictions. Turning them in?

Maverick1

WKR
The first scenario is ignorance of the law. The second is blatant disregard for the law. In both situations my approach is the same: I tell them to turn themselves in and see where they take it from there. How they proceed would tell me more about them than anything else.

What do I win for this answer?

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I’d inform them of the change in scenario 1, but would never report a friend. In scenario 2 I’d reevaluate why I’m friends with this person and would probably end the friendship. I don’t want to be around people like that. I wouldn’t report either though.

It’s sad to say, but I don’t trust the law or our justice system anymore.

WKR

WKR
I dont turn in close friends or family. I would insist they took care of it on their own and leave it be.

And after that if they made another similar mistake again, we wouldn't be close friends or family any longer.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Snitches get stitches.

I’d inform them of the change in scenario 1, but would never report a friend. In scenario 2 I’d reevaluate why I’m friends with this person and would probably end the friendship. I don’t want to be around people like that. I wouldn’t report either though.

It’s sad to say, but I don’t trust the law or our justice system anymore.
This is pretty much my exact thoughts on this if I was still friends with #2 I would definitely not hunt with that person ever again

MTtrout

WKR
Luckily the close friends and relatives I hunt with would never do the second scenario, let alone brag about it. First scenario, we always have a conversation about regs especially if regs have changed prior to hunting. This is even more important if your hunting partners are out of staters.

Rich M

WKR
Just wondering if people's options change from each scenario and why? Total curiosity question on my part.

Scenario 1. Close friend or relative (that you like) goes deer hunting and the regulations changed, they didn't read the new regulations, and there's a 4 point restrictions for bucks. They come back with a 3 point. Turn them in?

Scenario 2. Same close friend or relative (that you like) knows that the regulations changed from any buck to 4 point restriction, and comes back with a 3 point bragging about it and screw the new point restrictions. Turning them in?
Rule - You don’t turn in family. You bitch at them in person and dont hunt with em but you don’t turn em in.

When shit hits fan, where do you go? To the bridge you burned? Family is first refuge - like em or not.

Too many people excited over deer or whatever. Tag is for a buck. He shot a buck. Yup he cant count. Get over it.

Hunterz are their own worst enemies. Mind your buziness and hunt.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Watch Yellowstone GW show and see that if it weren’t for snitches, gw’s would have no work. And that most calls are just a waste of everyone’s time.

Hell, in Washington you need a law degree to understand the hunting regs. The fishing regs you would probably need to be a judge to know what's legal and what's not. I wouldn't turn someone in who unknowingly and without malice had a legit screw up. You hunt long enough and it'll happen to you too. Somehow, someway.

The guy in the second scenario can F right off tho, I would gladly accept my 10 Quality Elk points for that.

Pdzoller

WKR
Agree with most on this. Definitely wouldn’t turn in the accident. Definitely turning in the jackass. Jerk probably threw beer cans out the window all over the woods while doing it too.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn’t matter if it’s a close friend or relative, I definitely won’t like them afterwards in each scenario. I love hunting and don’t want to have people in my circle that are either ignorant to the regulations or blatantly disregard them. If I’m not with them in either scenario, I’m not going to report them. If I’m with them in either scenario, I will encourage them to self report or I will report them.

I have close friends that are game wardens and I wouldn’t want to ruin that relationship by being present during an illegal take and possibly being cited or losing my hunting privileges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
Close friend or family, I'm not saying anything to anyone. I figure It's on them. I had nothing to do with it. Especially if it was accidental. If they were bragging about it, I wouldn't hunt with them anymore. I don't need that nonsense and I wouldn't want to jeopardize my hunting with their stupidity. I also look at it like, it's your tag. If you're happy with a tiny illegal buck, good for you. I think antler restrictions are great but some people just want to shoot a buck. I can't imagine a grown man being that desperate to shoot a little deer.