I can't take the time to aim.

One other point is that if you're shooting a lot of arrows and you become fatigued, your wobble zone will eventually get very very large and that has a tendency to make the shooter "time" the release with the pin passing over the bull. If you're fighting target panic you should avoid shooting much when you're at that stage of fatigue. You definitely don't want to groove a bad habit that promotes target panic.

I forgot to say;

then there are the guys that I see punching their release that have target panic and they don’t even know it.
I was probably that guy before it became an issue, but ignorance was bliss, I shot fine and killed stuff without drama

When it became a problem was when I started drive by shooting and couldn’t stop it

Now it’s constant maintenance and awareness, because I hate trying to work through it, I will never be able to mindlessly shoot arrows again, which means I am not able to shoot the volume I used to

When I start losing focus, I take a break, because nothing good comes from just shooting a bunch of arrows anymore, I have to be mentally present every shot, or there is no point in shooting the arrow

I think most start with some bad habits that will eventually catch up to them at some point. It took 20 years for it to catch up with me, but I’m sure I had more than a couple bad habits starting with no instruction a lot of years ago and just shooting, a bunch all year

It was bad for awhile, and it effected all shooting, not just my compound

Get close to the target.

Get close enough that it's easy to hold the pin on target. Blind baling doesn't get your brain around the sight picture issue. What needs to happen is for you to get your brain comfortable with the float.

Shoot 3-5 yards, that's where you will build back your shot process. Use a regular target, not something down sized for close range. Slowly, like after a few thousand shots, you can start backing up again.

Stop looking at the pin, focus on what you want to hit. Pin will get drawn to where you are focusing.

This is what I did for about a month straight. I just focused on taking 10-15 shots per evening that I knew were slow and methodical. I was amazed at the difference the first time I shot at distance again.

OH->CO

FNG
I didn't realize I had it but I have had it bad and go in and out of it. I ended up getting different types or releases. If you practice with a hinge then you cant slap the trigger. Once you start to anticipate the break of the hinge then you know it too well and switch back to a thumb release and focus on fundamentals each and every shot

fatlander

WKR
Hinge and a blank bale.

I still can’t shoot anything that has a heartbeat with a trigger be it index or thumb. I exclusively shoot and hunt with a hinge.

The hinge cured me. I’ve stacked a lot of bodies since making the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Pinewood

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all. Lots of good feedback for my to go forward with. I'm using a wise choice thumb that I just switched to from a wrist release. So far, it's making things easier for me and it seems to fit the geometry of my face better. I'm going to focus on slowing down and try to create a shot sequence. I know it's all in my head, should be able to overcome it.

I put my finger behind my release trigger during draw and move it to on the trigger once im half way aimed and steady. I mainly do it not accidentally rip an arrow off into no mans land. But it would be impossible for me to shoot until i move my finger onto the trigger. Just do this and dont move your finger until you are settled in.

Also, take a break from shooting. Ive noticed sometimes when im shooting a lot I can hit these hurdles where I get in a rut. I just take a few days-a week off and calm down and break the mental cycle.

LJH

FNG
I had to switch to a tension release to overcome my target panic. One silverback+ later, and a lot of Dudley videos I’m now good to go!

Tilzbow

WKR
Target panic started for me in the late 90’s while shooting a recurve, that had a draw weight too heavy for me, G Fred Asbell style (swing draw, snap shooting). That TP moved into my compound shooting with a wrist strap trigger release (Scott hair trigger). I tried a ton of stuff mentioned from 2000 - 2014 but what finally cured me in both disciplines was developing a repeatable step by step shot sequence and for the compound a surprise release using back tension to activate a Carter RX1 trigger release and now Like Mike II with the trigger set as heavy as I can get it. It took about 6 months of hard work and discipline to ingrain the shot sequence and surprise release. For those who think a command release is better for hunting, it‘s been 10 years and I can tell you I’ve never lost an opportunity due to the release method and there’s been many challenging I never would’ve taken prior to 2014 since I’m now a much more proficient and confident archer.

Beendare

WKR
I was probably that guy before it became an issue, but ignorance was bliss, I shot fine and killed stuff without drama

When it became a problem was when I started drive by shooting and couldn’t stop it

Now it’s constant maintenance and awareness, because I hate trying to work through it, I will never be able to mindlessly shoot arrows again, which means I am not able to shoot the volume I used to

When I start losing focus, I take a break, because nothing good comes from just shooting a bunch of arrows anymore, I have to be mentally present every shot, or there is no point in shooting the arrow

I think most start with some bad habits that will eventually catch up to them at some point. It took 20 years for it to catch up with me, but I’m sure I had more than a couple bad habits starting with no instruction a lot of years ago and just shooting, a bunch all year

Great post...and I'm in the same boat.

Many of my longtime bowhunting friends are the same....and I bet there are a lot more of us out there than would admit to.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, there are a lot of solutions out there- for free. Jim Casto is a good guy posting on some of the archery sites....he has a good one- free

It's not all that complicated to beat TP...but it does take some effort and time to accomplish.

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR

This is an awesome post.

I was just like this.

It took me hundred of shots with a hinge to be comfortable shooting at 20 yards again. Since then, I’ve probably shot 10k arrows with a hinge. I can shoot really well again, but I’m much like Roosie.

I shoot an average of 10 arrows a day. I make sure they’re all really good and focused shots. If I spend a bunch of time mindlessly shooting, I fall right back into the same old habits even with a hinge. Then I’ll have to pull out a different hinge that’s faster or slower and go to the blank bale for a bit. It’s a constant battle.

I still miss shots in the bushes from time to time, that’s hunting, but they’re very few a far between. I’m absolutely confident at the moment of truth and that’s worth its weight in gold. It’s something you don’t realize you lost until you get it back.

I still miss shots in the bushes from time to time, that’s hunting, but they’re very few a far between. I’m absolutely confident at the moment of truth and that’s worth its weight in gold. It’s something you don’t realize you lost until you get it back.

When it comes to hunting (why I shoot compounds at all) all of the work is towards having confidence in the moment of truth. If you think about it, very few shots we take as archery hunters are precision shots. I have never taken a shot hunting that was a “hard” shot, the vitals on an elk are large from most angles… even a deer

Unless you misjudge yardage or take a shot outside of your skill level, if you are confident, it’s going to be a dead critter

We just need a process that we can execute under pressure, and having target panic in the back yard is the best way to break that confidence down… that’s what all of the practice is for, but when you have weird subconscious things running your shot, you are not going to be confident when that bull steps out (or buck, or pig, or whatever)

Control over our own mind is far more valuable than precision when it comes to hunting or competing.

I want to be cocky on archery eve, knowing all I need is to get my bow drawn back and my tag will be notched. When having issues, everything falls apart, and your precision isn’t there, and control isn’t there.

If we were all wired the same it would be easy to beat, but we are all individual personalities and each require a little different approach to get back on course.

I have been shooting a hinge a lot lately as well, and just got the onnex C which I like a lot, and shoot 3 different index releases, all of that to stay out of my comfort zone and force myself to focus on a shot process.. I also have a spot hogg thumb button I hate that I shoot most days too… whatever I can do to stay focused long enough to get some volume in and never get comfortable

I literally have no idea what release I’ll hunt with this day, or if I’ll hunt with my recurve… I’m just trying to stay sharp with everything and focus on a shot process that I can lean on… probably by July I will decide what I’m going to hunt with and shift gears, but right now I want to force myself to rely on a process rather than muscle/mind memory

I really wish I had the answer to solve that problem for archery hunters… not for recognition or money, but it would be awesome to get people out of that hole, it takes the fun out of it when you’re in it

fatlander

WKR
When it comes to hunting (why I shoot compounds at all) all of the work is towards having confidence in the moment of truth. If you think about it, very few shots we take as archery hunters are precision shots. I have never taken a shot hunting that was a “hard” shot, the vitals on an elk are large from most angles… even a deer

Unless you misjudge yardage or take a shot outside of your skill level, if you are confident, it’s going to be a dead critter

We just need a process that we can execute under pressure, and having target panic in the back yard is the best way to break that confidence down… that’s what all of the practice is for, but when you have weird subconscious things running your shot, you are not going to be confident when that bull steps out (or buck, or pig, or whatever)

Control over our own mind is far more valuable than precision when it comes to hunting or competing.

I want to be cocky on archery eve, knowing all I need is to get my bow drawn back and my tag will be notched. When having issues, everything falls apart, and your precision isn’t there, and control isn’t there.

If we were all wired the same it would be easy to beat, but we are all individual personalities and each require a little different approach to get back on course.

I have been shooting a hinge a lot lately as well, and just got the onnex C which I like a lot, and shoot 3 different index releases, all of that to stay out of my comfort zone and force myself to focus on a shot process.. I also have a spot hogg thumb button I hate that I shoot most days too… whatever I can do to stay focused long enough to get some volume in and never get comfortable

I literally have no idea what release I’ll hunt with this day, or if I’ll hunt with my recurve… I’m just trying to stay sharp with everything and focus on a shot process that I can lean on… probably by July I will decide what I’m going to hunt with and shift gears, but right now I want to force myself to rely on a process rather than muscle/mind memory

I really wish I had the answer to solve that problem for archery hunters… not for recognition or money, but it would be awesome to get people out of that hole, it takes the fun out of it when you’re in it

I start new guys out on a hinge. They learn to shoot the right way. They don’t have bad habits to fall back on.

Shops can’t do that and make a profit. It takes time to learn a hinge. They need to sell guys a 3k setup and get them out the door in 30 minutes.

Allow the pin to float on and around the target. It's going to move and if you try to force it, it gets worse and so does the target panic.

Try to watch the arrow "hit the pin" through your site housing. This is more of a longer range follow through when the arrow has some trajectory. I can't see it inside 40 yards or so.

I have my trigger set as light as it will go. If I put any pressure at all on that thing, it's going off. So when I pull through, it's instant. For me, this really highlights when I am punching it, or not.

Don't practice bad habits. If I start to fatigue, I take break. Still fatigued? Done for the day. Punching the trigger? Stop.
Not on today? Go home.

These are the things that I believe have helped me the most.

nphunter

WKR
I start new guys out on a hinge. They learn to shoot the right way. They don’t have bad habits to fall back on.

Shops can’t do that and make a profit. It takes time to learn a hinge. They need to sell guys a 3k setup and get them out the door in 30 minutes.

I agree with this approach, I personally don't shoot a hinge other than just in the yard but both of my kids have been shooting them since they were 9 and they hunt with them as well. My oldest has killed 4 point bucks the last two years at 16 & 17 using his hinge.

I shoot a B3 Hawk sear style index finger release with the nylon strap set short so that I trigger the release with back-tension with the first joint of my index finger (not the tip). I focus on the target not the sight pins. Typical practice is 6 to 12 arrows every other day before season. These steps help me control (beat) target panic...something I've had since 1979!

Through the years, when shooting a compound or recurve with fingers I shot a clicker...worked well for me for 15 years.

Used a thumb release successfully for a while but when I got target panic with it, was never able to shoot one decently again.

Have a Scott hinge and Carter Evolution tension release that helped me through bouts of TP 15 years ago. Never hunted with them though. Certainly taught me back tension! Good to have one or both.

Target panic can be beaten! Good luck with your solution, whatever they may be!