ID Bill S1340

DeePow

FNG
S 1340, states that the “Idaho Fish and Game Commission shall provide the opportunity for outfitters to purchase an additional bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or moose tag to any outfitter that fills a wolf tag in the course of outfitting.”
For more info - Idaho Wildlife Federation

It should also be noted, “ Idaho Outfitters and Guides Association did not instigate and was not aware of the bill.”

Another Note: see paragraph 10 (p.5) for specifics

Last edited:
OP
DeePow

DeePow

FNG
Sure what it looks like?
I don’t know law well enough but it is hard to decipher whether the outfitter can purchase one tag each time they “…fill a wolf tag in the course of outfitting”.

It is ambiguous language but the is the point of bulls and laws

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I'm all for reducing wolf numbers but as that bill reads there is no possible way the sheep, goat and moose populations could sustain that additional harvest without significantly reducing the tags for us 'regular folks'

I would prefer if the State of Idaho just offered them hard cash. I don't get to hunt moose, sheep, and goat anyway because demand far outstrips supply. Now there will be a couple hundred more guys out there with $20,000 moose tags in their pocket?

Google also says there are ~400 licensed guides and outfitters in the state. Not all of those are for hunting, so we may get ~200 fewer wolves out of the deal if the guides can actually get on wolves? Hard to believe more of them would not be already doing so if it were that simple. Wolves hurt their business too.

Also, did I miss where IDFG gave me a chance to share an opinion on thier proposal?

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
I would prefer if the State of Idaho just offered them hard cash. I don't get to hunt moose, sheep, and goat anyway because demand far outstrips supply. Now there will be a couple hundred more guys out there with $20,000 moose tags in their pocket?

Google also says there are ~400 licensed guides and outfitters in the state. Not all of those are for hunting, so we may get ~200 fewer wolves out of the deal if the guides can actually get on wolves? Hard to believe more of them would not be already doing so if it were that simple. Wolves hurt their business too.

Also, did I miss where IDFG gave me a chance to share an opinion on thier proposal?
It’s written as outfitters so I’d say that leaves the actual guides excluded. They can already collect some pretty good payments for wolf harvest from a private group if they’re a member.

Truly silly bill that I hope goes no where and its ideas are quickly forgotten. Another great example of how the Idaho legislature wastes taxpayer time doing nothing good for it’s citizens

Wonder where this genius is going to come up with these tags? Out of the already small draw pool, or maybe the even smaller NR pool. Or is he just going to let the outfitters hunt them to extinction?
Like I said . Two things: set the budget and gtfh.

I don’t see this ending anywhere near responsible management for the big 3. Numbers are already down for moose and goat, so let’s give MORE tags out for them?

Dear Doug, thou may inject a satchel of Richards.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
“It should also be noted, “ Idaho Outfitters and Guides Association did not instigate and was not aware of the bill.”

So state Congress critter just pulled this out of his fourth point of contact?

“It should also be noted, “ Idaho Outfitters and Guides Association did not instigate and was not aware of the bill.”

So state Congress critter just pulled this out of his fourth point of contact?
I wonder which lobbyist wrote this up for him.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say we will never know. Like you said, we can’t get them back to their houses fast enough.