Idaho GOP Gubernatorial Primary and Public Lands

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
A handful of candidates have thrown their hat in the ring for the GOP nomination for Idaho governor and have already begun campaigning via radio interviews and various appearances.

In Idaho, barring some kind of a cataclysmic event, the GOP primary will inevitably determine who will be governor. Consequently, I think it merits some discussion as to which of the candidates would be the most cooperative with regards to protecting public land access.

I realize it's early in the game (primary is in May, I believe), but if we can determine one to be better than the others, we would do well to start throwing our weight behind them early and often within our communities (if you're in Idaho) and among our Idaho acquaintances (if you're not).

My initial research found no formal position for Brad Little or for Raul Labrador, but they both have a record to consult and both have shown pretty clear support for land transfer to the states.

Tommy Ahlquist has no record to consider, as he is a relative newcomer to the political arena. He does, however, have a statement on his website supporting public lands access, although he's pretty vague about what that means.

Does anyone have any insight or opinions on any of these candidates and their positions on public land? I know there will be a comment or two stating we should "just vote Democrat", but that's not a pragmatic solution given the current state of politics in Idaho.

If the moderators see this as too contentious a topic, please don't hesitate to take it down. I'm not trying to stir any conflict, just looking for solutions.

Why don't you take the time to contact all three and hear their position on this for yourself? Lots of misconceptions floating around about this topic. And, lots of reason some would purposely mislead you concerning it. No better way to be properly informed than to have first hand account of the info. Good luck and God Bless

OP
B

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Why don't you take the time to contact all three and hear their position on this for yourself? Lots of misconceptions floating around about this topic. And, lots of reason some would purposely mislead you concerning it. No better way to be properly informed than to have first hand account of the info. Good luck and God Bless
I fully intend to, but wanted to see if there were any members who had spent any time doing so already, or who had experiences with any of them. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
Ahlquist's positions and statements have really struck me as someone that doesn't have any idea about public lands and has been searching for others positions and talking points that are "popular" He has always had a "state knows best" attitude which I don't care for. Truthfully he has come off completely uninterested and uniformed to me on public lands.

I think we are in for a mess no matter who comes off the GOP side.

idcuda

WKR
I'd prefer to get Labrador out of there for the reasons posted above. I have no faith in the Idaho rancher clan, either, so Little's likely out for me. However, I do need to research his specific positions some more. Butch Otter, Mike Moyle, and the rest of the ranchers have left me little hope that Idaho will keep the land open when there's an opportunity to sell it. I wish someone could break the two-party mold and actually make reasonable decisions. In Idaho, the options are, generally, rancher or bleeding heart liberal, which equals lose-lose.

OP
B

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Ahlquist's positions and statements have really struck me as someone that doesn't have any idea about public lands and has been searching for others positions and talking points that are "popular" He has always had a "state knows best" attitude which I don't care for. Truthfully he has come off completely uninterested and uniformed to me on public lands.

I think we are in for a mess no matter who comes off the GOP side.

I'd prefer to get Labrador out of there for the reasons posted above. I have no faith in the Idaho rancher clan, either, so Little's likely out for me. However, I do need to research his specific positions some more. Butch Otter, Mike Moyle, and the rest of the ranchers have left me little hope that Idaho will keep the land open when there's an opportunity to sell it. I wish someone could break the two-party mold and actually make reasonable decisions. In Idaho, the options are, generally, rancher or bleeding heart liberal, which equals lose-lose.

I've had a lot of the same feelings as above. I wish Ahlquist would articulate a clearer position on public lands. I suppose a clear and principled position on anything is asking a lot from any politician these days.

YUP, on the lose / lose bit and this Chit,.. NEEDS to CHANGE !! Federal Lands, BELONG to,.. US ( Sportsmen / Women !!).
Lets keep this, "post" alive and "up dated" as my Family is very concerned about this, "issue", too !

Rob T

FNG
Bigdesert10,

There has been talk of some folks -- TU, RMEF, TRCP -- organizing a sportsmen's debate/forum. I will let you know if that catches any steam.

Rob

OP
B

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Bigdesert10,

There has been talk of some folks -- TU, RMEF, TRCP -- organizing a sportsmen's debate/forum. I will let you know if that catches any steam.

Rob

That would be phenomenal, Rob! Please do keep us posted and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.