Idaho Man Sentenced in Bighorn Deadhead Case

TSAMP

WKR
Seems like abit much to me. I guess Montana needed paid for that sheep one way or another.

Not knowing the individuals background though, maybe this isn't his first run in. Id need more details before I'm ready to go full Karen.

Maybe it was the same guy who came on here asking where he can purchase a deadhead.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This guy should have gotten Muley Freak's lawyer... Or maybe Montana just has some teeth, too bad Muley Freak's poaching convictions were in UT and ID cause he got off lighter than this dude both times he was convicted of poaching. I'd think poaching a live animal would deserve more penalty than falsifying a deadhead report even if it was across state lines.

Geewhiz

WKR
I'm confused why he even tried to take it to Idaho. In Montana I'm pretty sure its now legal to pick up sheep dead heads

OP
A

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Previous to a few years ago it was illegal. Its legal now.
It is legal for natural death dead heads, not for roadkill. In Montana you can only salvage deer, elk, and moose I believe as roadkill. I read this as it was a roadkill sheep.

Geewhiz

WKR
It is legal for natural death dead heads, not for roadkill. In Montana you can only salvage deer, elk, and moose I believe as roadkill. I read this as it was a roadkill sheep.
Oh I see I thought he picked it up in the mountains in MT as a dead head and claimed he picked it up in Idaho as roadkill. Obviously the guy screwed up either way but if he just claimed he had found it in the hills dead he probly would have gotten away with it. To be clear I'm not endorsing this behavior.

TSAMP

WKR
The article isn't clear on the details but it doesn't look like he actually killed the sheep, just snagged the head from somewhere he wasn't supposed to and then lied about it, right? Not that that's ok.
Technically, by taking possession via an illegal act it's still poaching.

TaperPin

WKR
When you allow someone to kill a sheep - in any way you can imagine, from shooting, stabbing, dropping off a tall building, electrocuting, or running it down with a vehicle - then it gets handed off to a buddy and it’s ok?

Maybe I’ve just been around more idiot young guys than most, but if you combine a heavy farm bumper, with the relatively small sheep, and in a few seconds of poor judgement it might have seemed like an easy way to get a big ram.

The teenage boy excuse of, “You didn’t see me do it, so you can’t accuse me of doing anything wrong,” works in some families, but not ours. If you don’t want to be called a duck, don’t walk like a duck, or talk like a duck.