Idaho Moose Down

270quest

WKR
Well, my moose hunting was short lived...I was able to harvest this nice bull on the second morning I was up. I was by myself and the days got hot quick so I was fortunate to find this bull just a couple hundred yards away from where I could get a truck too. 265 yard shot with the old 7 mag and a 150 scenar. Center punched the lungs - he took 5 steps and tumble over. For the next 4 hours, I have never worked so hard in my life. I shot him around 7 am...I had the 4 quarters off, backstraps and tenderloins out, and the head off by 9:45 ish. By that time, a couple friends I had called made it up to me from town. We got the meat packed in the truck and cruised into town to get the meat hanging in a meat locker by noon...It was a whirlwind of a day, but man what an awesome experience.

The only crappy thing being by myself - I didn't get the best pics as all I could do is try to position my phone on my pack, but none the less, I loved every minute of it. He taped out at 36.5" at widest point and mostly still in Velvet.

Attachments

• IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_5142.jpg
    IMG_5142.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_5144.jpg
    IMG_5144.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1334.JPEG
    IMG_1334.JPEG
    117.1 KB · Views: 344

SDHNTR

WKR
Awesome. Congrats on a nice one. Where in ID? Thanks m here in central ID with amoose tag hoping to do the same. But it is so bloody hot and smoky! 90’s and can’t see or barely breathe! How did you get the meat extracted without spoiling in this heat?

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Well I shot him right around 7 am - and it was about 50 degrees. Was in a canyon and the sun didn't peak over on to me till about 8:30 ish...got the legs off on one side, and skinned and put them on some shaded willows. Did the same for the other two legs. By that time it was starting to warm up. Got the back straps and tenderloins out. and got them in the shade.

I was only about 150 yards from the spot on the road I could get a truck, but I had to pack it thru 10-12' high willow jungle/bogs. By the time I loaded up the first quarter to pack out, couple buddies from Idaho Falls arrived (I texted them right after I shot) to help pack the meat. We got everything in there truck and headed straight to Idaho Falls. Meat locker was open and we had all the quarters in and hanging by 12:30 ish. By the time I got back to my camper around 2:30-3 pm, it was up to 89 degrees.

I was hunting in the Spencer area which is about an hour drive from north Idaho Falls.

JonnyB

WKR
Congratulations man! There is no easy moose hunt, but you gotta love when you can get a vehicle to them, makes it much more enjoyable haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rcol317

FNG
Congratulations on a successful hunt. No easy hunt glad you were able to capitalize on all the hard work. Congratulations