Idaho muleys

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to this forum. I'm from Washington and, I've been hunting since I was was 12 (Turning 25 this year). I've hunted in Washington my whole, but I want to do an otc mule deer in unit 43 in idaho. If anyone has any advice, or experience hunting this unit, and would like share I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not looking for anyones honey holes, all I want is to hear what it's like hunting this unit. Thanks

Ah..... Tough time to hunt it for sure. Good thing is not many rifle hunters get way back in there. I'd put boots on the ground no less than 5 miles from a trailhead/dirtbike trail and go high! Good luck....

OP
Pistolpete28

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice I figured it would be tougher early in the season, but thats when I have no hunts going on in Washington. I'm not going expecting much, but Im definitely not afraid to burn some boot leather. Thanks again

OP
Pistolpete28

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Would a boise national forest map help me get around this unit?

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I would recommend that you take a look to the Idaho Fish and Game interactive maps to get to get more familiar with this unit over the national forest map.

If you start with hunt planner you can pull harvest stats too. Click on link for interactive map center and then highlight roads and trails. The program then allows you to download information onto google earth as well.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/hunt.aspx?ID=41038

Hope this helps and good luck.

muleyslayer,

I've been researching and planning an OTC Idaho muley hunt as a "back up plan" for the last 2 years just in case I strike out on all of my draws that I put in for. The country alone would be worth the trip IMO. From the guys I have talked to regarding that area and the surrounding units it seems like the past two years have been tough hunting (mature bucks) later in the season and most of them would have preferred going earlier. I think it's very weather dependent and can be tough if the temps are warm. If you do go early, I would most definitely hunt during the week if you are able to. It seems like there is plenty of areas to get away from the ATV's and crowds if you are willing to walk. Lot's of steep areas which is great for getting away from people. Like Elkoholic said, the IDGF website is awesome and has a TON of great info and maps. I've spent hours on it and can't believe how user friendly it is. Good Luck with your hunt!!

Jake U

FNG
I think these guys have given pretty good advice. Unit 43 gets hit pretty hard by hunters because its relatively close to Boise, Twin Falls, and Hailey areas. But there is a lot of country too. Most of the unit is pretty steep so be prepared for that. Good luck to you!

Greg Beck

WKR
I haven't hunted the area but camp there a lot. Take some of the previous advice and burn boot leather to get away from the crowds!! Lots of folks hunt that area!!

I'm from twin falls....grew up hunting there, but that's been 20y since I've hunted. It was extremely popular, but I think if you got back a ways you'd be good. I don't think you can get 5 miles from a road as the crow flies, but you can get away from people if you try