Idaho unit question

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
I was looking at the available tag list for Idaho and seen that one unit had quite a bit of tags left over. Not sure but I'm quessing it's a wilderness area or the bear and wolf are really that bad on the elk population?. Would a non-resident have to have a outfitter to hunt it or is it even worth trying based on leftover tags?....shoot me a PM if not wanting to answer on here thanks

Fullfan

WKR
Returned tags were sold yesterday, the idaho site showing tags left for

t Deer and Elk Quotas and Limits Available general season tags​

Nonresident Tag Quotas​

Elk Nonresident Tag Limits​

Beginning in April, a limited number of returned general season deer and elk tags go on sale for nonresidents for 2023 at the specified Returned Tag Sale dates. Nonresident hunters are limited to their selected areas for deer (GMU) or elk (zone). ( More information ).

2023 Nonresident Elk Tags (returns available on the next scheduled Returned Tag Sale)​

Tag TypeQuotaAvailable
Nonresident Elk12,815556

Elk hunting is managed in 28 elk zones with a 2-tag system in most zones - A tag & B tag. Hunters may select one elk zone and choose either an A tag or a B tag.​

This table lists all returned general season Elk tags that will be available during August 03, 2023 sale. Note that some zones are not eligible as second tags, and these tags will only be sold to nonresidents as first tags. For details on this sale, please visit: https://idfg.idaho.gov/tag/second.

These tag counts are NOT updated in real-time.​

Lifetime license holders must purchase resident capped zone elk tags in June 2023.​

2023 Nonresident Elk Tag Limits and Caps​

This table combines the existing capped elk zones AND the new limited elk zones to simplify finding the amount of tags per elk zone and tag type. The new limits do not apply to capped elk zones.
The limited elk zones include nonresident non-outfitted and nonresident outfitted tags

Fullfan

WKR
Good assumption that is there are tags left, there is a good reason for it.

Pretty rough country. There are quite a few threads on those units with triple digits left on the table.

ikeG

FNG
There actually seems like there are more than normal leftover in a few of those units.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Access
Private property
Harvest stats
Wilderness

The more strikes against a unit the less likely folks want to hunt there.

Middle Folk and Selway and tough zones. Some of those units guys fly into remote landing strips.

Lolo Zone had a 5% harvest last year. Hard to be interested in units with excessively low stats.

Selway, I hunted there once, access is very challenging. Selway always has leftover tags. IMO, due to remoteness, access, wilderness.

Middle Fork is nearly all wilderness but has good stats.

Last edited:
OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Access
Private property
Harvest stats
Wilderness

The more strikes against a unit the less likely folks want to hunt there.

Middle Folk and Selway and tough zones. Some of those units guys fly into remote landing strips.

Lolo Zone had a 5% harvest last year. Hard to interested in units with excessively low stats.

Selway, I hunted there once, access is very challenging. Selway always has leftover tags. IMO, due to remoteness, access, wilderness.

Middle Fork is nearly all wilderness but has good stats.
Thanks...I've dug up some good and bad info might do some calling about a drop camp