Idaho's Nez Perce Tribe will likely provide Colorado with wolves

cnelk

WKR

Colorado's persistent but teetering assurance that it will have reintroduced wolves on the ground ahead of the end of this year's deadline received a voice of validation Monday.

A Nez Perce Tribe spokesperson told the Coloradoan on Monday it will "likely" be able to provide source wolves to Colorado to help meet its deadline.

Aaron Miles, the Idaho tribe’s natural resource manager, said the tribe is willing to help and that conversations between Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, who strongly supports wolf reintroduction, and Shannon Wheeler, chairman of the tribe's executive committee, have taken place and continue to take place to work out the details.

Colorado hopes to release 10 to 15 wolves during its first year of reintroduction.

"Yes, we are working hard to develop that plan and the Nez Perce Tribe has every intention of helping Colorado be a source of wolves," he said. "Our executive committee has given us the go-ahead as a department to begin working on this. I think it is likely we could do it to meet their deadline."

It's a matter of logistics, Miles cautioned, if wolves can be captured and translocated to Colorado in time to meet the ballot initiative's mandated deadline.

Obstacles include finding experts to safely capture the wolves and whether the area receives enough snow to aid in helicopter capture of the wolves, he said. Nez Perce tribal land encompasses millions of acres in the heart of Idaho's wolf country, spilling over into Washington, Oregon and Montana.

Nez Perce's willingness to help comes as good news after Wyoming, Montana and Idaho governments told Colorado they won't serve as source states for the reintroduction. Washington is mulling over the possibility but said it can't provide wolves for Colorado this year. Oregon is still contemplating if it will provide wolves to Colorado.

That prompted Colorado to turn to the Nez Perce Tribe. Miles said conversations between Colorado and the tribe began about a month ago.

The unexpected uncertainty of whether Colorado will be able to find wolves in time to meet its deadline has put increasing pressure on the state.

The situation became so dire that Colorado Parks and Wildlife Director Jeff Davis cautioned Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission members at its Aug. 25 meeting to not put undue pressure on the Washington wildlife commission to vote to provide wolves to Colorado.

"Let’s talk before we just barrage Washington’s commission," Davis told the commission. "I say that because (Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Director Kelly) Susewind is navigating the complicated situation and it's super sensitive, so if too many people are barraging folks or lobbying folks, you’re likely going to do more harm to our likelihood than have success."

Does the Nez Perce Tribe have the authority to capture wolves and give them to Colorado?​

The tribe does not need the blessing or backing of the Idaho state government to capture and translocate wolves because the tribe is a sovereign nation, which basically allows for self-government. Miles said that was secured in an 1855 treaty with the federal government.

The tribe was instrumental in reintroducing wolves to Idaho in 1995. The state of Idaho balked at helping with the federal government's Northern Rocky Mountains wolf reintroduction, which also included Yellowstone National Park, so the tribe stepped in and led the effort.

Miles said many of the tribe's wolf experts have retired, making it more difficult to help Colorado with source wolves.

"We largely no longer have the technical capacity of those people involved with the (1995) reintroduction, so we have our work cut out for us," he said. "It's now figuring out the details because you just can't get anyone to capture wolves; you have to have the right people and do it right. But if you have the energy on both sides to make it work, like we and Colorado do, you make it work."

Miles said wolves are revered in the tribe and, as such, it wishes to see proliferation of the animals.

"Our goal is different than someone else's goal," he said. "We have lots of legends based on animals that teach us how we fit into the natural world as people."

One of the first gray wolf pups born in Colorado is shown after being captured via helicopter and fitted with a tracking collar Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2022 in Jackson County.

Why snow on the ground is critical for the capture of wolves​

Colorado Parks and Wildlife's wolf recovery plan cited helicopter capture of wolves as the preferred method, as it is generally agreed by experts as the quickest and safest option as opposed to using traps and snares.

In wolf captures, generally, a plane is used to spot the wolves. Then a nearby helicopter flies to the site and hovers over the wolf, which is shot with a tranquilizer dart. Colorado's plan calls for the wolves then to be immediately transported, likely by air, to their release site(s) in Colorado. The cages will be opened, and the wolves are then on their own.

Reid DeWalt, the state wildlife agency's assistant director, told the Colorado Wildlife Commission at its Aug. 25 meeting that the agency sees the wolf release season as mid-December until the middle of March.

"We really need that snow for helicopter capture," he said. "Wolves are fast and you're not going to really track them down with a helicopter (without snow), and we want to capture them quickly. But if it doesn’t snow, we will have to capture them in a different way."

Colorado Parks and Wildlife captured and collared a male wolf that naturally migrated into the state and one of its pups in February 2021 and 2022, respectively.

DeWalt told the commission it has 20 collars ready to place on the reintroduced wolves.

"December is coming quick and we have a lot to do," DeWalt told the commission. "But we expect to meet the deadline.''

Where Colorado plans to release reintroduced wolves​

DeWalt told the commission a team is actively looking at around 10 potential release sites west of the Continental Divide in case weather eliminates some of the sites. It's likely releases will take place at two to three sites, according to the state's recovery plan.

The state's wolf recovery plan has identified the initial releases will take place on state and private land in an oval shape roughly with Glenwood Springs on the west, Kremmling on the north, Vail on the east and Aspen on the south. The area includes Interstate 70 running through the middle.

The area within the green circle is where Colorado Parks and Wildlife is recommending the state's first reintroduced wolves be released followed by the yellow circle.

Superx3

FNG
Colorado is bound and determined to do anything possible to screw up. All they have to do is wait a few more years to let wolves naturally move into Colorado. I guess on the bright side maybe one day we can hunt wolves in Colorado…

Arthas

FNG
When you vote for democrat politicians this day in age, this is what you get. Permanent damage to hunting opportunities. Wolves will be decimating game populations in CO for the rest of our life times and the increasing number of democrat city voters attracted to the state will mean you will probably never get the chance to manage the population of wolves. When you combine this with other hunting bans and attacks on firearms you really set the legacy of hunting in the state of CO and North America on a track of total destruction.

If only all the lobbyists on places like hunttalk were as concerned about this issue as they were with lobbying to ensure union step cost of living raises, the ability to work from home permanently, and the maintenance of campgrounds/ parking lots/roads. I remember the outdoor lobbyists spent every minute of every day hyperventilating that the Trump Admin was going to transfer every acre of federal land to states and fire every employee. In the end, very little federal land lost if any (was the net number of acres transfered 0 or less? I can not remember) and a net increase in employees.

Now, hunters suffer the consequences of those same conservation lobbyists acquiescing with anti hunting policy or initiatives on some of the most important issues to sportsman in favor of political allies that sign their pay checks. The result ? We will see but my guess is the Biden Admin and USFW and other agencies sit silently while this transfer of apex predators occurs, essentially screwing over CO hunters and years of conservation efforts and investment permanently. Oh and conveniently, the tribal partners that the Biden Administration would not dare saying no to, will get a fat tax payer funded pay check to help transfer wolves into CO where they would be in less than a decade mostly likely anyhow. I bet there is even going to be a press release saying how nicely everyone worked together.

When you factor in the millions of acres of renewables on public land that none of those lobbyists have said a peep about...less game, less public land to hunt=less hunting opportunity and less hunters. Thanks guys for all your D endorsements that helped you guys guys get paid for another cycle out of the deal.

And spare me the "muh ballot initiative" talk. Electing sane officials instead of the modern democrat would have put a stop to this.

SWOHTR

WKR
Well this is interesting. Couple of thoughts...

1. Sedation and relocation. I seem to recall that if you're going to relocate animals, it's advisable to have a quarantine/stabilization period prior to releasing them? I know they did this w/ Kentucky elk in WI...

2. If the tribe is a sovereign nation, what other rights do they have? Do they abide by the same restrictions as everyone else? Example I'm thinking of is a moose that was killed in WI about 6 years ago...and it was "OK" because a tribal member did it.

Anyways, I oppose this firmly.

This fits the bill. The Nez Perce are bad news all around. I don't know that there is another tribe as notorious for thrill killing and wanton waste.
Three states said it's a terrible idea and they would not assist. The Nez Perce said "we'll take the money."

BluMtn

WKR
Between the Nez Perce and the Umatilla's they have pretty well screwed up our Blue Mtns. in Southeastern Washington. The Umatilla National Forest Service will not go to the bathroom without first consulting the Umatilla tribe. If you make a request for road use or building a ORV trail you must first ask the tribe and if they approve it (Which they never have) then the F.S. will listen to your request and then the Game Dept. will kill it because it might scare an animal. The Umatilla's are also allowed to enter the Walla Walla Watershed area (Which is closed to everybody else year around, except those with a Elk Draw tag and day use only) for their spiritual journeys. The Nez Perce have boundaries they are suppose to follow in the Blues (A handshake agreement with the game dept) but never abide by. Also both tribes never report their kills to the game dept. The tribes regulate (LOL) their own hunting seasons, but tell the game dept to pound sand when ask about their kill numbers. They haul pickup loads of Elk out of the mountains every summer for Sustenance food, funny how they like to eat large branched antler bull elk better than cow elk.

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
This is where we need a tough hunter oriented org to really oppose this. Lawsuits should be filed opposing everything possibly related to it. Hell, files suits claiming the wolves could transfer CWD (they eat deer, make them prove they don't transfer CWD). Tie them up in court for years.. Use their tactics against them.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Colorado is bound and determined to do anything possible to screw up. All they have to do is wait a few more years to let wolves naturally move into Colorado. I guess on the bright side maybe one day we can hunt wolves in Colorado…
No! There is No dang bright side! It was written in the law that was passed. There will be no death of wolves at the hand of man! There will never be a hunting season of wolves in Co

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Actually is was recently passed in the 10j rule that ranchers could take lethal measures against wolves to protect their property. Not sure what the exact details are though - the ranchers probably have to jump thru a bunch of hoops prior to that

Hnthrdr

WKR
Actually is was recently passed in the 10j rule that ranchers could take lethal measures against wolves to protect their property. Not sure what the exact details are though - the ranchers probably have to jump thru a bunch of hoops prior to that
Best news I have heard, in a bit, would be interesting if a rancher sued the tribe for damages for transporting wolves to the state… I could get behind that

Fordguy

WKR
If the tribe is a sovereign nation, what other rights do they have? Do they abide by the same restrictions as everyone else?
No. They do pretty much whatever they like and get away with it. Here's an example: my neighbors property borders tribal land. Two tribal citizens shot a game animal on my neighbors property without permission, and I watched them do it. When they saw me they ran, but I was on the phone with the game Warden immediately and they were caught. Both were felons in possession of firearms while on probation. Neither had a hunting license. They went to court. No fines were issued, no revocation of rights or privileges, and no jail time for being felons in possession of firearms while out on probation. They received an additional 6 months of unsupervised probation.
I'm not sure if things are handled this way across the nation, but I've seen similar results in several states

Last edited:
This is where we need a tough hunter oriented org to really oppose this. Lawsuits should be filed opposing everything possibly related to it. Hell, files suits claiming the wolves could transfer CWD (they eat deer, make them prove they don't transfer CWD). Tie them up in court for years.. Use their tactics against them.
Waste of time and money. Guaranteed. Similar has been tried for decades re: logging. Same with motorcycle trails. Snowmobiling. It's their game. Their rules. Their officials. Their enforcers. Their judges. The end result has already been determined; long before this. Introducing Non-indigenous wolves are just another tool of theirs to accomplish their goals.

I understand many here are too young to have seen much of it and don't recognize it for what it is.

The fact is they don't want us on "their" land.

Period.