Ideal optic for coyotes

TheGDog

WKR
Yeah... I've been noticing how much easier and quick it is to take 'em close-in, with a shotgun. Since there's this place I can only bring in shotgun, been doing my sets within this labyrinth of a Juniper patch. Just go in until I find openings within the patch that lend themselves well to making the sets at them.

Then just a matter of fishing with the remote to find something that they like.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
If you decide to get a scope with First Focal Plane, make sure it’s illuminated. The crosshairs are as fine as hens teeth at 4x and in low light, you literally cannot with any degree of accuracy see your crosshairs. I have a 4-16 ffp and while I can see everything through my scope at the lower magnification levels, those crosshairs aren’t really there unless you’re at the upper end of your magnification and then everything is way too close and the lighting/clarity in the glass isn’t great either. A scope with a 50mm objective is great in low light and night hunting, which I really like. I run a 3.5-10x50 on my 223 AR and the 4-16x44 ffp on my 204. Daytime I love my 204 and night time I prefer my AR. I’m sure you can get the best of both worlds if you’ve got the $$$ to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTSLW

FNG
Depends on how far you're shooting. I've had weekends late season out west where the average kill was over 400 yds, it's nice to have a little more power for those hung up dogs. I had a March 3-24 that was about perfect. anything in the 3-15 range works well, If you're shooting them where you need less than 3x I'd just start using a scattergun.

I recently switched from a traditional scope to a Sightmark wratih HD 4x32x50. Its a digital scope so i can use it during the day like any other scope but it also works great for hunting in low light or at night. Another advantage is that with one click it will record a video of my shot. the mil reticle works fine for the longer shots, just remember that its calibrated at 4x like a sfp scope.

Last edited:

rlsmith1

FNG
I’m running a Mark 5 3.6-18 and wish I had more FOV for night hunts. It works great during the day though

LG1

FNG
Something in the 3-10 or 12 range should work quite well. My coyote scope sits on 6X the majority of the time

lemonhead

FNG
A red dot/magnifier is about the same size and weight as some LVPOs. I’d take a look at a good 1-6x or 1-8x LVPO. On my AR I use a 1-8x and on my bolt gun I have a 2.5-10x. Both have worked well for me on coyotes.
I recently purchased a Vortex Venom LVPO for coyotes do you suggest the 25yd zero (should shoot flat to 300yds) or a 100yd zero that lines up with the bullet drop reticle? Thanks for the advice!

Hnthrdr

WKR
I recently purchased a Vortex Venom LVPO for coyotes do you suggest the 25yd zero (should shoot flat to 300yds) or a 100yd zero that lines up with the bullet drop reticle? Thanks for the advice!
100 yrd zero

Currently just have a red dot on my AR for coyotes should I upgrade and get a magnifier maybe an LPVO
Really depends on what distance you’re shooting, and what type of conditions. For anything inside of 500 yards in wide-open country with good light I would say 9-12X. LVPO would be a fair choice. Any further distance, low light, or shooting in thick timber I’d opt for 15-18X.

gringo76

FNG
What is your budget?
Sub $500, Bushnell Match Pro
Sub $1k, Bushnell Match Pro ED
Sub $2k, Bushnell XRS3 or Athlon Cronus BTR
Sub $2.5k, Razor III 6-36x.

M44

FNG
In my opinion, the most important aspect of any scope is to set it on one power and never change it. For instance, mine is always on ten power regardless of terrain. This allows your brain to remember what a coyote looks like at 100 yards or 400 because you haven't been jacking with power settings. You see a coyote at 350 with no time to range and you immediately think to yourself that he looks little and give a little more elevation.

With practice at home, you can train yourself to see the target above the barrel and when you look through the scope, the cross hairs are on target.

If I happen to spot a coyote mousing and have time to go prone and range, I will twist the ring to 18 before shooting, but never below 10.

Dennis

WKR
For coyotes I like to set my scopes to 6 power. I leave it on 6 power most of the time unless in thick brush or trees.

pirogue

WKR
Sounds like some of these long distance shooters promoting high magnification scopes, need to invest in a better caller, instead of a scope, if they are calling to start with.