If you could only have 1 rimfire rifle

Oregonboy

WKR
Hey Roksliders,

I'm looking to get my be all, end all rimfire rifle. I'm leaning toward 22lr but whiling to hear other ideas.

Ideally, this gun will be for squirrels and rabbits and other small game. I'd like to be able to reach 100 yards comfortably. I'm not too into customizing my guns and don't plan on going the chassis route. Just a rifle and scope recommendation is what i'm looking for. I could see adding a bi-pod too.

Currently, the Tikka TX1 in 22LR is my first choice as I've got a T3 Lite SS in .308 and I really like it. Not sure where to even begin scope-wise.

If you could only run 1 rimfire gun and scope, what would it be?

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
3000 FPS from a rimfire is mighty impressive.

The reasons I'm leaning away from .17 is cost of ammo, noise level when shooting and feeling like I might have more fire power than I need at close range if I intend to eat the animal.

I'm a novice when it comes to rifles to please let me know if I'm way off.

WA209

FNG
17 cals do cause extra damage. But in my limited experience, 2 17hmrs, and 2 17 wsm Savage bmags. They are a laser out to 100. I’ve had terrible luck with cci copper out of my 22lr.

CHSD

WKR
Tell me more :)

I put a Cabelas Euro 4-12 on top. With Mini Mags the 13 year old hunting buddy of mine can constantly hit steel at 200 yards (that's as far as our range goes). When I shoot suppressed with subsonic ammo it is almost holleywood quiet (as I imagine most 22s would be).

ozyclint

WKR
the cost of ammo for the .17HMR and .17WSM is a deal breaker for me.

since this is an 'only one rimfire' thread .22lr is it for me. ammo is cheap and available anywhere (think about that for times like now), quiet and been killing stuff since the beginning of time. plus the OP only wants to shoot out to 100 yards which is fine with .22lr.

there is a multitude of centerfires that can be used in place of the .17 rimfires and reloaded for the same cost or less.

hodgeman

WKR
There are a number of good choices in bolt action .22LR. I've got a CZ452 that I've shot quite a lot. That T1X looks good. I've had a couple of the 77/22 rifles and they were outstanding.

A high end sporter .22 would be my pick for a one and done. Stick a decent scope on it and you'll be set. The Leupold Rimfire 4x is my favorite for that.

manitou1

WKR
My personal favorite is my CZ 455FS. It is a lazer and beautiful all in one. They quit making it though. I had a CZ 455 Tacticool that was superb also... but was a bit heavy for hunting. I pick up a new CZ 457 American tomorrow. Hopefully it will be as accurate as the others. .22 cal rimfires are generally not super accurate at 100 yds, just by the nature of ammo inconsistancies and the nature of the beast. If you hold a 1"-1.5" 100 yard group avg, you have a shooter. At 50 yds, a good .22 should put them all touching, or darn near it IMO.
I have no experience with the Tikka, but from what I have read it is nice.

WKR
My vudoo with a good McMillan, scope and suppressor is more fun than a guy should be able to have. Also very packable.

I like what a read about the tikka.

I am a 10/22 fan. The Volsquarten version is the bees knees for a do all 22lr if you have the $$

I just got a tikka t1x in .22lr. Its shoots great and feels just like my T3. Set the triggers to be same light, crisp pull. I’m getting both guns set up with the same scope so I can practice with the same reticle for drop and wind holds. If you’re a tikka fan you will like the t1x. I think it’s overpriced for what it is, but I was willing to pay the premium.