If you could only have one piece of glass.....

WRO

WKR
I hunt in a wide variety of country in Arizona. I could have just about any glass I want. I have worked my way through just about every combo of 10s 12s 15s and or spotters.

Currently I only take 12x50els into the field with me.
Yup, perfect western hunting bino.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kicker338

WKR
Agree. And leica, zeiss, & swaros aren't exactly a budget deal on optics either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP didn't ask for budget bino's, stated buy once and cry once. Granted store comparisons are not the best but still pretty ezy to weed out the bad ones inside then go outside the store to finalize. To the buy once cry once, I cried twice, cried once when I bought my leica's last yr. then cried again over how mush money I waisted over the yrs. buying cheeper one's. Had I done this 10-20 yrs. ago I probably still have the swaros I wanted but never got and most likly have some money left in my pocket from buying all the budget one's I wound up getting rid off.

The OP didn't ask for budget bino's, stated buy once and cry once. Granted store comparisons are not the best but still pretty ezy to weed out the bad ones inside then go outside the store to finalize. To the buy once cry once, I cried twice, cried once when I bought my leica's last yr. then cried again over how mush money I waisted over the yrs. buying cheeper one's. Had I done this 10-20 yrs. ago I probably still have the swaros I wanted but never got and most likly have some money left in my pocket from buying all the budget one's I wound up getting rid off.

No, but he did say he wasn't made of money. To me implies that he is on a budget. If op can afford it then you are certainly right. Id like to own a real high set of binos someday like these that you mentioned.

OP
wncbrewer

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, sorry. Totally should have included my hunting styles. I'm an eastern boy that loves to Oregon 3 years ago. I hunt elk, bear and deer all over the state, and plan on hunting Idaho, Montana and Wyoming in the future. I mostly hunt with a bow but use the rifle to extend my season where I can.

I drew an antelope tag this past season and that's when I decided my optics game needed some improvement.

I'll be buying a tripod post haste in the process now of doing my research here and elsewhere on that particular piece of gear.

Seems like the popular consensus is that 10's on a tripod are hard to beat.

As previously stated, I am not made of money but I can squirrel away a little at a time until I have enough to buy what I want.

boom

WKR
for me, it would be 10x42's compact and is the most useful for everything.

kicker338

WKR
Yeah, sorry. Totally should have included my hunting styles. I'm an eastern boy that loves to Oregon 3 years ago. I hunt elk, bear and deer all over the state, and plan on hunting Idaho, Montana and Wyoming in the future. I mostly hunt with a bow but use the rifle to extend my season where I can.

I drew an antelope tag this past season and that's when I decided my optics game needed some improvement.

I'll be buying a tripod post haste in the process now of doing my research here and elsewhere on that particular piece of gear.

Seems like the popular consensus is that 10's on a tripod are hard to beat.

As previously stated, I am not made of money but I can squirrel away a little at a time until I have enough to buy what I want.

Back yrs. ago when I was looking at the swaros. the owner of the store tried to get me to buy them on the credit card, I would have paid them off in a yr. or less. Niggest mistake I ever made not doing it. The high end ones in the &1000 range,zeiss conquest, leica trinivids will get you one outstanding bino. Those are not the only one's either, there are several other brands in that price and quality range. The only ones I passed over were the vortex. There were 3 of us checking them out for me and all agreed the zeiss conquest and the trinivids were better. Hope this helps you as I and most everyone els will tell you to get the best you can afford then spend some more on them. You can own the best gun, bow but you will never kill what you can't see.

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently upgraded from the Vortex DB 10x42 to the Swaro SLC 10x42. II know people say "such and such is a game changer." However, in this case the SLCs were AWESOME. The two guys I was hunting with were using Nikon Monarch glass and it was literally a night and day difference. I am saving for a tripod now as I feel it really will make a difference. I bought mine used in the Rokslide Classifieds. I'm sure you can find a deal here.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
If you can do it, right now Swarovski SLC 10x42's(demo) $1149.99 at Natchez SS. Hard to beat that price and they probably won't last long. If you can't, watch the classifieds and get some used ones.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using 10x50's for a few years now. Yes, they're slightly bigger, but I love them! I can freehand them all day or like most have said, I've been using them on a tripod on a few AZ hunts and definitely a game changer! I like the 10x50 and at dusk/dawn they are amazing with letting in such little bits of light... I was going to go the spotter route as well, but feel like I do just fine bino's mounts on a tripod. Again, I'm not a trophy horn Hunter at all, so as long as I can tell if it has head gear or not, im all good! Good luck!

OP
wncbrewer

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
So other than price, what's the difference in the swaro el's and slc's. I found both the swaro website and outdoorsmans to be pretty vague unless I am just missing something obvious.

OP
wncbrewer

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Forgive me, I'm a complete novice when it comes to high end optics.

dotman

WKR
So other than price, what's the difference in the swaro el's and slc's. I found both the swaro website and outdoorsmans to be pretty vague unless I am just missing something obvious.

El's have field flattening which removes curves from objects towards the edges of the glasss, for some the glass in EL's can give a rolling ball effect. To me they are perfect but a bunch of guys prefer the SLC HD's. If EL's are out of the budget but SLC's are close I doubt you regret going with SLC's. Just make sure you get the HD's, the Natchezss demos for around $1100 are not HD, pay the extra for HD.

Also it is much cheaper to mount SLC's to a tripod as EL's have to be sent off and have an adapter pressed into the hinge so add another almost $100 to EL's.

OP
wncbrewer

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

dotman

WKR
There's a great deal on the SLC HD's in classifieds currently but they don't look right as far as latest model. The black inner color looks to be the older model. Swarovski has a good sale currently, call Cameralandny and check out their price on brand new.

Here is what the latest model looks like, all green no black SWAROVSKI OPTIK – SLC 42 Binoculars

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
There's a great deal on the SLC HD's in classifieds currently but they don't look right as far as latest model. The black inner color looks to be the older model. Swarovski has a good sale currently, call Cameralandny and check out their price on brand new.

Here is what the latest model looks like, all green no black SWAROVSKI OPTIK – SLC 42 Binoculars
Those are better than the new model imho..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It was probably said above, but the SLCs are tuned to be a touch brighter for hunting and the ELs are a touch more HD (resolution). I personally have the ELs and like Dot, would not trade for anything. We have one of the best optic experts on this sight and has written many detailed articles on this topic. Check out the article section and previous posts going back a couple of years.