Illinois goose hunt

DMurphy

FNG
Anyone know of a good goose outfitter in Illinois, preferrably southern Illinois? Wanting to take my son for something different and we have never before hunted geese. Any info would be appreciated.

Kurts86

WKR
Southern Illinois hasn’t really been a goose hunting destination in a couple of decades. Most of the good goose hunting occurs adjacent to the Chicago suburbs where the geese roost on cooling lakes at night and field feed during the day. The migration just doesn’t go nearly as far south anymore. Rend lake was once the goose capital but it isn’t the case anymore for the majority of the migratory flocks.

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
Southern Illinois hasn’t really been a goose hunting destination in a couple of decades. Most of the good goose hunting occurs adjacent to the Chicago suburbs where the geese roost on cooling lakes at night and field feed during the day. The migration just doesn’t go nearly as far south anymore. Rend lake was once the goose capital but it isn’t the case anymore for the majority of the migratory flocks.
Thanks for this. Any places up there you recommend?

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Not Illinois, but I'd look up Mitch Hughes in Maryland if I wanted a guided goose hunt in the Eastern US. Prairie Rock Outfitters in Nebraska would also be a great choice.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Mound City is now the snow goose capital I believe. If you’ve never hunted any geese before take a guide to go shoot snows somewhere instead of shooting Canadas. You can always shoot Canada geese in the Midwest with a couple floaters sitting on a small pond but snows require a ton of decoys and a lot more money. And for the same price guided for either hunt you will get more bang for your buck hunting snows. No limits in the conservation season compared to your usual 2 to 3 Canadas per day it’s a no brainer. Plus you get to see literally a million birds in a couple days so regardless if they are going to come into shooting distance it’s pretty incredible to watch those big spins

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
Mound City is now the snow goose capital I believe. If you’ve never hunted any geese before take a guide to go shoot snows somewhere instead of shooting Canadas. You can always shoot Canada geese in the Midwest with a couple floaters sitting on a small pond but snows require a ton of decoys and a lot more money. And for the same price guided for either hunt you will get more bang for your buck hunting snows. No limits in the conservation season compared to your usual 2 to 3 Canadas per day it’s a no brainer. Plus you get to see literally a million birds in a couple days so regardless if they are going to come into shooting distance it’s pretty incredible to watch those big spins
Right on. Thank you!