I'm looking for some amazing over-landing/car camping spots in Colorado (or southern Wyoming) to take my senior dog on one last final epic adventure.

CoElkMan

FNG
My dog is getting old and it sucks (typing this up has me choked up). He's my best friend. He's been with me on countless adventures. We live in Fort Collins, Colorado and we already go on a lot of camping trips in the truck. Since he's getting up there in age, I worry this could be our last summer together and I want to take him on one last amazing epic trip. He can't do strenuous hikes anymore, so we've leaned heavily into over-landing and mild 4x4'ing (stock 4Runner) to take us on trips. We've done tons of them - Buffalo Pass near Steamboat, Lost Creek Wilderness near Bailey, tons of Red Feather Lake trips, and lots of other trips throughout the state and even out to Utah and Wyoming. Hell, we even snuck a night in together in RMNP via backdoor route (sorry for being criminals).

I know a lot of great areas and great spots. We can go back to them and have an amazing time. But, I want this trip to be something new and exciting and unforgettable. A capstone trip on our amazing time spent together. I know this wont be our last trip, but I want to ensure we get one last hoorah in.

I'd absolutely love and appreciate any advice, tips, or suggestions on piecing together a good 3-4 day trip. Something I can take my 4Runner and an old pup on. River access would be amazing for him to get in. Views and solitude as well. I'm a life-long fisherman and hunter, and I'd never ask for details on a well-kept secret, but if you have anything special I swear on his life that I'll take the details to my grave (and also leave no trace [and clean-up others trash if need be)]. I'll even send you a 6-pack of your choosing.

Thanks a bunch in advance. Resized_20240505_185905.jpeg

I hope you 2 find something awesome to do. My pup is 7 in a few months and is having issues where he keeps injuring his front legs. We are leaving him home this year on our SXS trips because I am just afraid he will hurt himself. It sucks.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I wish I could help, I know all to well how hard what you are about to do is, I have done it eight times, last time was just eleven days ago. best of luck and I hope a dog lover comes through for you, Give the old boy a hug for me.

Wishing you the best on your trip, although have nothing to contribute for locations. My chocolate lab turned 8 this month and she has definitely slowed down a bit on the hunting side. She can handle 1 good day a week now instead of 3-4. It's a shame they aren't with us longer...

I was going to suggest Eagle's Nest Open Space, but then read that he is not able to do hikes any longer. Best of luck, I'm sure you know of all the places that I would know up that way.

Sevens

WKR
No suggestions here, but good on you for making some great memories with your dog in his golden years. Will be something you can always look back to remember when he’s gone.

Had to put my dog of 16 years down a few weeks ago. Still pretty wrecked about it. She was a great dog.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
What is your friends name??
Shit, I have to board mine in a week or so for the first time......that will be bad enough.

As you most likely know, the San Juan's are a good place. Lots of areas to roam. If you get to Idaho, let me know.

Good luck on your once in a lifetime adventure and enjoy the journey.

I heard this quote the other day.......
"You live, you die. It's the in-between that counts."

Randy

Slugz

WKR
When are you going? I'm assuming after 4 July when some of the snow is gone ? Let me know your timing and I'll pm you.

Good on you for looking for a trip with your buddy. I'm also a member of the aging Labrador club. It's tough seeing them slow down. I'm pretty sure that mine picked up his last birds this year.

I think the hardest part of finding the trip you described is the "solitude." There's a lot of cool, scenic spots. But if you can drive there, so can everyone else. And with the reservation systems in place, it can be hard to get a spot.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Man my heart goes out to you CoElkMan and your buddy there. My chocolate lab was fourteen when he could no longer get up and walk once I moved to Colorado. He went to work with me for the first year while running service calls in Fairbanks, AK and he was such an amazing bird dog and swimmer and salmon fisher in Valdez no matter how cold the weather was. We now have a typical white/yellow lab who is a walking queen only....

Two years ago, my wife and I spent about five days doing trips out of Curecanti National Rec Area and loved it there. We went in June so it wasn't too hot yet. But the rangers told us there were no rattlesnakes there for some reason and almost no cactus which is good news for your buddy. (what's his name?) We camped at Elk Creek Campground and then took rides from there. There is County Road 723 which is west of the campground and heads north up into the mountains quiet a ways but we turned around due to too many fallen trees all over the road but it went on much farther from there. Also, right off the main park entrance on the north side of the road are some BLM trails that your 4 runner would easily navigate so finding solitude would be easy there. Plus, you have the waters of blue Mesa for your buddy. Just be aware, the Highway 50 brdige west of the park is closed by emergency order until they can fix the bridge but that is west of the park.

Also, on a side note. In Gunnison, there's a street vendor that sells ice cream and it's pretty righteous, lol. You guys could share a cup together..... It's right along hwy 50 when you go through town. Keep us updated on what you choose and how it went if you would sir.

wytx

WKR
Head to the top of the Snowy Range at the pass and go hiking up to Gap lakes.
Medicine Bow Peak is a spectacular area.