IMHO, the best cut of the elk is...

The shank. I am a new elk hunter, having killed my first elk in Nov. I have really enjoyed the other cuts of elk, particularly the tenderloin and backstrap. However, I finally took a rear shank out of the freezer, and after thawing it a bit, cut it into 4 sections with a reciprocating saw.

Tied the outsides up with kitchen twine to maintain their shape and seasoned them according to a NYT Persian spiced shank recipe and let them sit overnight. Finished up the recipe yesterday by browning them off and braising them for 5 hours. Amazing.

If you are looking for that rich, fatty eating experience that is pretty hard to come by on a mostly lean animal, the shank is your friend. After pulling the meat off the bones, scoop out the marrow and mix that in - totally badass.

Overnight me your frozen shanks for free if you don't want them. Thanks.

Holocene

WKR
Heart and tongue.

Both make excellent fatty tacos.

My last bull, I corned the tongue with a traditional beef brisket cure and made elk tongue reubens. Super fatty, flavorful piece.

I see a lot of guys get lazy and leave these cuts in the field. That’s changing somewhat in the past ten years as a new cast of hunters are reminding the community of hunters to consider field to table practices and whole animal cookery.

Use your mallard legs. Take the weird cuts from big game. Like the OP says, try braising some shanks.

WRO

WKR
I took a whole neck out this year and cut it into 3rds, it's excellent..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

huck

Lil-Rokslider
I have yet to find a bad piece of elk if its killed halfway right ,taken car of properly ,and cooked in a way that compliments the cut .

This year I dry aged the quarters on a bull and the flat iron steaks off the front quarter were incredible, the flavor and tenderness was supreme. Haven’t ate anything else of the dry aged quarters yet, so we’ll see what else is delicious dry aged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
I took a whole neck out this year and cut it into 3rds, it's excellent..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Another for neck. Easily a better braise than shank. So much luscious collagenous goodness and top-tier flavor.

Reactions: WRO

fatlander

WKR
Neck and heart are the two most understated cuts. It pains me to think how much delicious meat I wasted when I knew no better.

Trial153

WKR
I am not an inside loin fan, too mushy. Give me steaks cut off the short loin any day.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Elk chuck roasts are the bomb. I was really surprised when I cooked my first roast.