Imminent case head separation?

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Working on reloading brass for the first time. This is once fired federal brass from factory ammo - all fired out of my rifle. I notice near the case head it’s a different color for the bottom 1/4” of the case. Is this the dreaded ring, or is this just the way it looks? I find it hard to believe that factory ammo is loaded so hot that it presents itself after 1 firing. This brass was cleaned by hand (tumbler is being shipped) and neck sized only. Thanks. IMG_6132.jpegIMG_6131.jpeg

There’s are 2 different pieces of brass, but prevalent on pretty much every piece (40 or so)

That's normal for fired brass. That portion that's still shiny below the case head is the portion that isn't actually in the chamber, so it doesn't get dirtied up or scratched during the firing and extraction process. You're good to go.

That’s likely where the case stopped touching the chamber wall. Likely in the chamber.

Some times when full length sizing you can also get that mark where the die stops sizing the brass, not all dies size down to the base, and even then the base of your case really shouldn’t be growing all that much.

I recommend taking a before and after measurement from the case head to the shoulder, to determine how much the brass is growing. Maybe not important this to round but they are nice numbers to have down the road.

That’s likely where the case stopped touching the chamber wall. Likely in the chamber.

Some times when full length sizing you can also get that mark where the die stops sizing the brass, not all dies size down to the base, and even then the base of your case really shouldn’t be growing all that much.

I recommend taking a before and after measurement from the case head to the shoulder, to determine how much the brass is growing. Maybe not important this to round but they are nice numbers to have down the road.
You’re definitely correct on that. That portion of the case is still in the chamber, just doesn’t grow enough to touch the chamber walls like the rest of the case. Thanks!

EBE08616-D7A3-476D-88B3-2414ECA27738.jpeg

I cut a piece of brass in half one time to satisfy my curiosity. It was fired three times and looked a little worse. The inside showed zero sign of separation. Your probably gtg.

Back