In defense of Vortex optics

cmahoney

WKR
I have quite a number of Vortex products from high to low end, and I would define them as useable, and value-oriented. When the stakes are high though, such as for home defense, or a cross country/safari hunt you pay $5k for, I don't think it makes sense to use their higher-tier products because there are so many better options. I will shout out to the quality of the Vortex Razor Gen 1 spotting scope in 20-60-80mm based on current pricing (~$800). This has been around for a few years now and cannot be beat for the price to me. I ordered many spotting scopes in this price range and it was hands down the best mechanically and optically.

I had one of those spotters. It broke in half on a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear half of the membership here are gold fish, there is almost zero attention span and there’s a huge bias towards hating on Vortex and Leupold. I just don’t get the narrow mindedness and the same constant endless drivel to try to be cool and unique. It’s like most of your existence is to bash things that you just simply don’t like. That’s a pretty weak identity.

freddyG

WKR
A lot of the hate is well deserved. Products that fail to perform the function they were designed to do, aren’t worth owning. Customers shouldn’t be QC testers, and a bump shouldn’t knock a scope off zero.

A lot of the hate is well deserved. Products that fail to perform the function they were designed to do, aren’t worth owning. Customers shouldn’t be QC testers, and a bump shouldn’t knock a scope off zero.

What about the fact that myself and others have sent back Nightforces, SWFA’s, and Trijicons for failures?

Fordguy

WKR
Not personally a fan of vortex, but I've owned a few and found them to be functional. The gen 1 1-6 strike eagle was used on a heavy recoiling rifle for 5 years in multiple states and traveled 10k-12k miles without losing/shifting zero. While I take care not to abuse my optics, I certainly don't baby them. If they still made the 1-6 with the Gen 1 reticle, I'd probably buy another based on the performance and durability of the first.

freddyG

WKR
What about the fact that myself and others have sent back Nightforces, SWFA’s, and Trijicons for failures?

You pay your money and take your chances. Nightforce tests every scope before they ship(except shv). I don’t think any other companies to that. To me, a zero stop or illumination failure on a NF is not as bad in the field as a loss of zero. Your mileage may vary.

jpmulk

WKR
To listen to forums like this would make you think that companies like vortex is a trash company. Anything less than a swaro and you are fool. 😂

I know a lot of people, A lot of people, Happily running vortex and leupold. Way more than i know of people running swaro or leicas. And you know what? 99.9% of those people running vortex and leupold are completely happy and satisfied and kill animals every year.

It’s not the gear that makes the hunter anyway.

KenLee

WKR
To listen to forums like this would make you think that companies like vortex is a trash company. Anything less than a swaro and you are fool. 😂

I know a lot of people, A lot of people, Happily running vortex and leupold. Way more than i know of people running swaro or leicas. And you know what? 99.9% of those people running vortex and leupold are completely happy and satisfied and kill animals every year.

I've owned 8 Vortex products and all 8 broke, and quickly. Paid for 4 and broke the replacements also. They are a company who sells trash while spewing sunshine and rainbows.

jpmulk

WKR
I've owned 8 Vortex products and all 8 broke, and quickly. Paid for 4 and broke the replacements also. They are a company who sells trash while spewing sunshine and rainbows.
Guess everyone else is just lucky.

I think a lot of the vortex negativity comes from the fact they came on the scene and were the "better than leupold for less" or "approaching swaro/leica/zeiss for half the price" along with an onslaught of influencers and hunting celebrities marketing the piss out of them. They've just been marketed and word of mouthed to be better than they are and eventually along with that came some pushback. I think they are about in line with many other company's offerings at a given price point, especially if you take into account warranty being built into a price point.

Nope, they’ll tell you Swarovski “don’t hold zero” either. It’s always not holding zero.

I’ve got a Z3 that I’ve had for almost 20 years that has been on the same rifle shooting the same load and I’ve never touched the turrets and it’s seen it’s share of tumbles and it’s the optic I’ve owned the longest out of everything I currently have. But this website will tell you that’s impossible.

Vortex gets a lot of their feedback from their lower end stuff though which there is a ton of out there and don’t have the same reliability as their higher end stuff. That’s run of the mill for chinesium though.

Pdzoller

WKR
had to use customer service for ever Vortex scope I’ve owned. I decided to just weed them out. Had better luck with the cheep Bushnells. Missed the best buck of my life because of a failure to hold zero. After that I used them on my rimfires and they all failed from POI shifting.

2531usmc

WKR
buyers remorse for each and every vortex purchase. I’ve learned my lesson…..

freddyG

WKR
Some people just don’t use their gear much. I know of many people with a safe or more full of guns/scopes. How many of those get used hard? I bet none.

Most people also don’t hunt open country. Close shots at big game can very easily be made by a scope that has lost zero. It’s when you start shooting smaller targets, that reality smacks you in your face.

KenLee

WKR
I was clumsy as heck before I had back/hip/shoulder/foot issues. I'll admit being somewhat rough on rifles and scopes, but I've sent 3 scopes not marked Vortex back in 45 years of using scopes. That vs 8 Vortex in 3 years

freddyG

WKR
Nope, they’ll tell you Swarovski “don’t hold zero” either. It’s always not holding zero.

I’ve got a Z3 that I’ve had for almost 20 years that has been on the same rifle shooting the same load and I’ve never touched the turrets and it’s seen it’s share of tumbles and it’s the optic I’ve owned the longest out of everything I currently have.
This is my favorite kind of post. You mean to tell me that you have the same lot of ammo/components as you had 20 years ago?

I primarily use H4350 and IMR4064. Changing from one lot of powder to another (very close lot numbers), my last zero moved .3 MIL Left, and .3 MIL down. That’s just changing one component, bullets, primers, brass was the same lot number. Not a small shift by any means.

OP
100 others
The vortex 1-10 is a super over rated optic. It was the first quality 1-10 to come out and combine that with the success and reliability of the 1-6 I think it got a lot more credit than it deserves.

I swear half of the membership here are gold fish, there is almost zero attention span and there’s a huge bias towards hating on Vortex and Leupold. I just don’t get the narrow mindedness and the same constant endless drivel to try to be cool and unique. It’s like most of your existence is to bash things that you just simply don’t like. That’s a pretty weak identity.

Attachments

• IMG_3471.jpeg
    IMG_3471.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 9

Geewhiz

WKR
I have been pleased with my vortex purchases. I've owned a pair of viper hd binos for 10 years now and they have always done me just fine. Ive also had 3 spotters. 1 viper and 2 razors, currently have a razor still. Also had a couple rangefinders. One kicked the bucket after 6 or 7 years and they replaced it with a new model. No complaints here.

Never owned one of their rifle scopes so cant attest to their ability to track or hold zero.

There are definitely better optics, but for the money I am pleased.

jpmulk

WKR
I have been using the vortex viper hslr rifle scope for 6 years. It’s been awesome and completely reliable. Even after some knocks