In the market for new bow this winter.

tfitter

FNG
Hey guys,
Just looking for some input. I am looking at buying a new bow this winter, I have not been paying much attention over the last few years to different brand releases or bow technology. However, I have begun doing a lot of research over the last couple of months trying to figure out which bows are going to make the cut.

I just moved to Davenport, IA and would also like to ask if anyone has an archery shop that they trust in that area.

Now on to my main question - I have been shooting a bowtech 82nd airborne for the last 8 years and really like the bow.

I am intrigued by the Hoyt carbon defiant. I plan on buying a top of the line bow and keeping it for another long time period.
I have shot the 31, but the shop didn't have a turbo to try. The pro was trying to talk me out of the turbo as he says it is too harsh and I should just go with the 31. Anyone have an opinion regarding this? I trust a lot of info that I read on here.

Oh also, if anyone has any new info regarding the Bowtech limb problem I would appreciate anything on them as well. I wouldn't mind shooting that prodigy or btx either to try out.

Thanks for the conversation and good luck with the remaining days this fall!

-Tyler

jmez

WKR
If you are shooting an 82nd and really like the bow I wouldn't be too concerned with any of the new offerings being too "harsh." Draw cycle on the Hoyt Turbo is stiff but will be better than the 82nd.

Not sure about the Bowtech limb issues. I think it is real but I haven't shot one of theirs since the CPXL came out. They have switched this year to making all limbs in house so that may make a difference.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2014 rpm 360 that had a limb split in the first 2 weeks of owning it. Bowtech sent all new limbs for it. I replaced them and haven't had a problem since. I chose the rpm 360 over the prodigy because the draw cycle felt smoother to me (only shot the prodigy on the performance setting though). I liked the looks and grip of the prodigy better however.

Right now, I'm liking the Prime (rival, rize), elite impulse and the Hoyt defiants are interesting even though I've never been a Hoyt fan.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
tfitter

The 2 best and closest to you in Davenport are R & R Sports in Bettendorf (new location - moved from Clinton) and EZ Livin in Milan IL. B & B in Bettendorf is also ok, just not much inventory.

I've got a 2016 Defiant 34 (non carbon) and really like it. It's my first good bow but it shoots great and I've never wished I had something different.

kodiakfly

WKR
The Turbo cam isn't a problem if you're shooting what you are now. A guy who's not shot a bow in 15+ year might not be used to it, but it's manageable. Stick with your practice and make sure your form and set up are where they need to be or the bow will want to launch on you. An occasional shooter could get worked with that cam, but get to know it and it's fine. I also tightened up my draw about 1/3 of an inch and it really helped me into the wall much better and now it's not jumpy or edgy at all for me. Shoots like a dream.

I am intrigued by the Hoyt carbon defiant. I plan on buying a top of the line bow and keeping it for another long time period.
I have shot the 31, but the shop didn't have a turbo to try. The pro was trying to talk me out of the turbo as he says it is too harsh and I should just go with the 31. Anyone have an opinion regarding this? I trust a lot of info that I read on here.

-Tyler

I bought a 2015 spider turbo as my first bow because...well...I am an idiot and it was the coolest bow in the store. I tried nitrums and non turbo defiant since then and shot them better. Now that I I know a bit more, I am of the opinion that the turbo cam is a bit jumpy. I am not sure you pick up a lot of meaningful speed to go turbo over the 31 or 34. Part of my frustration has been some other tuning issues and a rest that didn't get set up right until I took it to another shop.

There are a lot more experienced shooters on this board that can shoot these things with no problem. For me, a then novice and now intermediate archer, I should have gone with a non turbo bow. I will probably shoot this bow for a few more years but if I upgrade, I probably wouldn't go turbo.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I've not shot a compound in 15 years before this fall. I developed some horrible target panic with my sticbows so I decided I would need to retrain myself with a compound. I shot the latest whiz bang carbon Hoyt's and the top end Mathews along side an Elite Impulse. The Elite was SMOOTH as silk in the draw. The Hoyt's and Mathews were extremely harsh to draw in comparison. They may be a couple fps faster, but when you are used to 180fps or so, they are all FAST. There is no way I would want to shoot anything other than the Elite. The last compound I owned was a Mathews Q2XL; my how things have changed!

OP
tfitter

tfitter

FNG
Thanks for the posts guys. I am going to try and find somewhere that has a turbo. Thanks Johnson for the R&R tip, I have been to the other two and am not impressed. I am coming from an awesome shop in MN, so I may be realizing I was spoiled.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a 2016 Obsession defcon m7 and I love it. It was a HUGE upgrade for me from my entry level PSE circa 2006 in everyway possible. My friend who is an avid shooter shot it and couldn't believe how smooth, quiet and vibration free it was. He was debating on upgrading his Hoyt but after shooting my Obsession, he is looking for a new one for next season!

kicker338

WKR
In reguards to the bowtech limb issues this has been an ongoing issue for over 10 yrs. This yrs. flagship bow, I think it's called the BTX has been a limb disaster from the get go, numerous bowtech dealers over on AT have tolled of opening a new box from bowtech and seeing limbs already splintered. Bowtech has a great design, I have a D350 and it's a great shooter but I also replaced the limbs with barnsdale's before the factory one's had a chance to blowup. I won't push any brand to you, there's a lot out there that are good. My own personal bow now is an Xpedition X6, very satisfied with it. Bowtech right now is the only brand I would stay away from until they get this limb issue fixed once and forall.

AGPank

WKR
I've been really pleased with Athens bows. They are a smaller company and not everyone has one, which I like. They are great bows, better than average speed and smooth draw. They also offer a lifetime transferable warranty.

I have a 2015 Solace, but I've heard great things about the 2016 cams. They also have some great looking standard colors. Very good customer service too.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at PSE. I spend about 10 years out of the compound game, so I went out and shot EVERY bow made last year and built a custom bow. From the PSE decree riser but with the HD cams. PSE released that same bow this year called the Decree 32. It and the 35 get my vote, I recommend shooting all of them find what feels good to you, no matter the brand or price.

Thanks,

Pramo

WKR
Here is my take some might agree some may not.

I stick with the big two Hoyt and Mathews just for the resale value and ease of getting parts if I buy something new without a warranty. I got a new 2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo off ArcheryTalk classifieds from Double Lung Archery (I know they are in Iowa not sure where) and paid $900 to my door 2 season ago. Best bow I have ever had and it's the #3 cam and for whatever reason it just shoots perfect for me. This year I bought a Nitrun 34 #3 cam new from a dealer in person to get the warranty for $650 and its been great so far but I'm still setting it up. I also really love the Z5 cam and RK3 cams for ease of tuning and good balance of draw.

I'd rather not pay the high markup for a new bow since they don't really change from year to year anymore. I have a bowmaster press then built a draw board, spine tester and arrow saw to do all my tuning. Some of it looks a little ghetto but it all works and again saves me a bunch of money. With all the money I saved buying the bow left over stock and tuning it when I get decide to sell it I can get back 75+% of my money for the next toy.

I really think most any bow made now from a good company are very similar to all others and it just comes down to draw feel and durability. For me I focus mainly on ease of tuning and resale.

noroads

FNG
There's a lot of good bows to choose from. I owned many this year just to name a few... BTX 28 ( had limb issues so I sold it), elite e32, OK Smoke, Nitrum Turbo, obsession defcon 6m, but the ones I liked best and will hang on to...

Prime Rival
Prime Rize

Beendare

WKR
I would recommend searching the Archery Talk website for the models you are considering as there is tons of commentary on all of them.

Then get out and test. There is such a big learning curve with the tuning, etc on a new bow...not to mention the accessory cost.....its worth researching.... and don't be surprised if you decide to stay with the tried and true bow you own!/ Grin

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
Like a lot of the guys posted, any new bow is going to be smoother, faster and more quiet that what you have been shooting. Go shoot the Mathews Halon for sure.