Inconsistent Firing Pin Strikes?

Esq

FNG
After shooting my new rifle today I looked at the primers and noticed a few that were struck off-center. This is factory new Norma ammo. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20220129_185405.jpg
    20220129_185405.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 76
Here is the bolt face. About 30 rounds on it.

Attachments

• 20220129_200609.jpg
    20220129_200609.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 41
When you chamber a round do you always hear the extractor snap over the rim? I'm wondering if there is enough play to keep the extractor on the side of the rim pushing the case down in the chamber. It looks like when it happens it is very consistently in the same position. i.e. off center the same distance.

The factory brass may be a touch short for the chamber and not seating fully on the bolt head keeping the extractor from snapping over. That would not be a problem, just a quirk of new brass. It will shorten the life of that batch of brass though. Lots of extra stretch.

Jeremy

Wonder if that chamber is off…egg shaped or too large.

Does it do this with all brands of ammo?

First firing? My understanding is due to no ejector holding the cartridge against the rim of the extractor , mechanical ejector actions can sometimes have ignition problems if headspace is off. Could the brass be small?

I tries to snap an empty brass into the head but can't do it. Is there a trick? I also shot some new hornady superformance yesterday and on checking the strikes I see the same thing. About 1 in 5 are off-center. To be clear. This is all new ammo from Norma and Hornady on a brand new Proof Research Elevation. They use the Origin Bighorn action.

I had muffs on when shooting and didn't listen to hear the click.

I can't imagine there's that much pin clearance without showing flow on the primer. I honestly can't imagine the case being that far off center without showing mega case expansion.

The problem isn't the ammo, the middle of the middle is still the middle on the ammo....where the pin is hitting is the problem.

I think above posters are alluding to a possible ammo problem, which happens more than you would think.

For future reference I’d try a few different kinds of factory ammo before sending my rifle personally. I’m sure proof will take care of you, let us know what you find out

I think above posters are alluding to a possible ammo problem, which happens more than you would think.

For future reference I’d try a few different kinds of factory ammo before sending my rifle personally. I’m sure proof will take care of you, let us know what you find out
Yeah an ammo issue like this is RARE....I literally look at this kind of stuff everyday. OP also states he tried not only the Norma but Hornady factory loaded. 2 different manufacturers and the same problem?

Back