Initial Ascent 6k

Hofhunter

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your guys experience with IA packs? Like/dislike: fit, organization, belt, straps, pack under load, etc.
Also, how does it compare to other packs you have had.

Thanks for your insight.

Hoghead

WKR
I liked mine. I had the 4k and the smaller one. I bought a kifaru and sold the IA. Solid frame and pack. I felt like the load-bearing system is better on the kifaru, with the load going through the stays. Under 90 or so pounds, the IA carbonfiber frame does great. For me, I like to make 1 trip even if I'm loaded down and the kifaru worked better for me. The IA people are great to deal with and very helpful. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used one a bunch and threw one off a cliff just to see how well it would hold up. Solid packs

I've also went back to a kifaru frame, enjoy all the bag options they offer.
da554202cbe5d930a5f9085889b6edc5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
Hofhunter

Hofhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I liked mine. I had the 4k and the smaller one. I bought a kifaru and sold the IA. Solid frame and pack. I felt like the load-bearing system is better on the kifaru, with the load going through the stays. Under 90 or so pounds, the IA carbonfiber frame does great. For me, I like to make 1 trip even if I'm loaded down and the kifaru worked better for me. The IA people are great to deal with and very helpful. Hope this helps.

I’ve looked at the Kifaru Hoodlum as well. Heard they are rock solid but was just curious on the IA. But looks like both you guys who have reached out went back to Kifaru.

Bought the Initial Ascent frame/6k/pannier this year, used it on a backpack bow hunt/muzzloader elk hunt. It fit great, handles weight extremely well. I am not in the best of shape, however, handling a bit of weight on uneven ground (60 to 70 pounds total) was doable for me. For folks that are in good "mountain shape", I doubt 100lbs would be an issue at all. Would recommend it. All belts work fine, plenty of adjustments, comfotable, plenty of accessories.

Hoghead

WKR
That’s some weight right there! Hip belt comfortable?
It's as comfortable as can be expected. I have tried outdoors, man pack badlands, and initial accent. Kifaru has been the best for me. The initial accent was good, too. If I had no budget and had to buy a setup now, I would definitely go with Kifaru. In fairness, I haven't tried xo or stone glacier. I won't touch anything kuiu after a bad customer service incident.

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
I ran Kifaru for 10 years before switching to the IA 6k this past season. Something changed as I approached 50 and I just couldn’t get through elevation hikes without hip pain. The switch to the IA was a welcome change and I won’t be turning back. I can’t say enough good things about Kifaru or IA but I’m definitely sticking with the IA platform moving forward. The pannier system is amazing and after 23 days at high elevation this year, I can’t imagine going without it. Left main bag in camp and felt 30 again cruising the ridgelines. Both companies are excelent. Just my two cents

For me, it handled the heavy weight better.
a22c279446cdfe4746e7a7ba6f41a4ed.jpg

Sheesh. I hope I get the same results, I threw up in my mouth a little ordering my first big boy $$$ pack today. Their (IA) older packs are on sale btw, for anyone considering.

Last edited:

Hoghead

WKR
I think that was the tactal frame. I have the duplex light I used for hunting the high country. I ordered the ark frame, and I am still waiting on it. I'll move the duplex light to my hog hunting frame and use the tactal for training.

What’s your guys experience with IA packs? Like/dislike: fit, organization, belt, straps, pack under load, etc.
Also, how does it compare to other packs you have had.

Thanks for your insight.
The 6k is on sale right now if you're still considering it. I wont have time to try it out for a few weeks but it feels SOLID, and I really like the hip belt.

Attachments

• IMG_20240311_140526664_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240311_140526664_HDR.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240311_172200266.jpg
    IMG_20240311_172200266.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 32

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
Full disclosure, I have only ever used initial ascent for a pack and do not have any personal experience with other brands, aside from conversations with other folks... I have used the IA4K for two seasons now, ranging from day hunts to 10 days out in the woods. Itr handled a front moose 1/4, skull and my gear (120# ish total) really well for the 2.5mile hike out ( twice) Handled the heavy weight really well and didn't get any shift when I sinched it down tight. I would like to get the 8K just for more packing room, because things get tight when packing for 10 days. It carries well, lid is excellent, load shelf works wonders, I love it and probably won't trade it because it works for me

BBell4

FNG
Glad to see people have tried both IA and Kifaru as I have been looking heavily at both.