Inreach explorer + or mini

jt4

WKR
I plan on using onx maps saved to my phone so I don't really need the topo or any uploaded maps. Really the only use is to send / receive messages.

I've read and seen some reviews that the mini is a bit more of a pain to send and receive messages from and don't really want to have to pull out my phone and jump through a bunch of hoops to send or see incoming.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Have had both (well nonmapping older explorer model and mini) . get the mini. you are going to want to sen dmsgs via your phone with either for longer texts, so get over notion of not ‘pulling out the phone”.

are you planning to do a ton of texting all day? Or more the very occasional check in. Both have preset messages that are easy to send. Yes typing out a msg on mini is not super easy/fast.

With Onx as your mapping program you are gonna be using phone anyway throughout the day, at least I do.

The maps on the earthmate app are great! Easpecially the topo are better than Onx to me. Since it is free and the maps are actualy a LOT easier to download for big hunt areas/units I end up downloading those to phone too.

And that texting interface within earthmate is a lot easier than from either inreach device, including direct access to your entire contacts list stored on your phone..

crich

WKR
☝️ I agree with all of the above. I own a mini and have checked out a friends explorer. Youll be using your phone for onx anyway so I think the mini is a no brainer for mapping. At that point you dont need the screen on the explorer and its so much easier to text with the app. The topo on the explorer leaves a lot to be desired with all the cell phone mapping applications nowadays. Pick up a dark energy battery pack and hit the woods...

With that said I've had the app not sync to the gps for messaging a few times. I feel the convenience when its working out-weighs the hiccups I do sometimes experience. If you're specifically asking about typing on the device and not using the app, the mini is definitely a pain.

Battery life of the explorer is about twice that of the mini, so the explorer may let you bring a smaller external battery or forego one at all. Something to consider.

curlyintn

FNG
I have the mini it's perfect for me. You have a backup gps and emergency locater and i use me phone for mapping with onx.