Inreach explorer vs. Inreach mini

rmk7483

FNG
Thoughts on one vs the other? Pluses and minuses for both? Thanks.

For basic backcountry hunts. Navigation to and from camp each day. Occasional communication with family. Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
I run the mini so that I can message the wife but use onx on my phone for my navigation. I can't say why but to my eye I hate garmins navigation. The mini has been such a blessing, the wife is so much happier with me being gone when she still gets a goodnight message.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Get the mini. InReach messaging is best done via bluetooth connection to the smartphone app, so no advantage to the larger units there. And since you'll be lugging the smartphone for the better messaging experience (and camera, and other smartphone benefits), you might as well run a dedicated GPS app from your smartphone that works better than anything that could run from the Explorer model InReach.

OP
R

rmk7483

FNG
Get the mini. InReach messaging is best done via bluetooth connection to the smartphone app, so no advantage to the larger units there. And since you'll be lugging the smartphone for the better messaging experience (and camera, and other smartphone benefits), you might as well run a dedicated GPS app from your smartphone that works better than anything that could run from the Explorer model InReach.

Do you ever run into battery issues on your phone when using for the Bluetooth messaging and GPS app?

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Do you ever run into battery issues on your phone when using for the Bluetooth messaging and GPS app?

I don’t have problems with this setup, else I wouldn’t be recommending it to others. Just like any other finite resource you take into the field, the electrons do need to be managed. Figure out how to balance your personal supply and demand in a way that works for you.
When I leave the trailhead my phone goes into airplane mode and all the background apps get killed. My phone stays on so it’s handy as a camera when I want it. The InReach stays off. When I want to use it for messaging, I power it up and pair it with the phone. When done, InReach gets shut off and put away and the phone Bluetooth gets turned off. GPS app only runs when I want to actively use it. With this MO, I make it through a 10 day trip on two phone charges from a USB battery pack.

Does the Explorer even have mapping functions? The Mini doesn't (or at least if it does it is very bare bones). If you're wanting a unit for comm and nav I think you're looking at the new Montana units. If you're going to use your phone or another device for nav then I think the Mini is the way to go (cheaper, lighter/smaller)--I've had both.

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have problems with this setup, else I wouldn’t be recommending it to others. Just like any other finite resource you take into the field, the electrons do need to be managed. Figure out how to balance your personal supply and demand in a way that works for you.
When I leave the trailhead my phone goes into airplane mode and all the background apps get killed. My phone stays on so it’s handy as a camera when I want it. The InReach stays off. When I want to use it for messaging, I power it up and pair it with the phone. When done, InReach gets shut off and put away and the phone Bluetooth gets turned off. GPS app only runs when I want to actively use it. With this MO, I make it through a 10 day trip on two phone charges from a USB battery pack.
The mini was new to me this year and I used it exactly as LowSky described for the exact amount of time. I only used the Earthmate app for messaging and onX for mapping(offline maps in airplane mode). It’s insanely small and lightweight 👍🏻

Mini Pros:
  • Smaller (roughly 2/3 size of Explorer)
  • Lighter (3.5 oz)
  • Cheaper ($350 MSRP but commonly sold for $300)
Mini Cons:
  • Cumbersome to use as a standalone device, needs to be paired to a smartphone to be used to full potential
  • Smaller battery (1250 mAh)
Explorer Pros:
  • Easier to use as standalone device, has its own full size screen that can display map
  • Larger battery (3100 mAh)
Explorer Cons:
  • Larger
  • Heavier (7.5 oz)
  • More expensive ($450 MSRP but commonly sold for $375-400)
If you're going to be carrying a phone anyway, you can't go wrong with either model. If you don't want to carry a phone, I'd recommend the Explorer.