Iowa non-resident hunting experiences

Northern zone 4 where I'm located experienced horrendous EHD die offs in some areas this summer. I live outside the town of Coon Rapids, and from town to approximately 5 miles SE as the crow flies, there were at least 170 dead deer found in or along the river. After a dozen sits on the property I manage along the river, I estimate the herd is down 30-40%. Crawford County, just west of here had their first buck-only first gun season in several years due to herd losses.

Good luck to everybody this season!

stevewes2004

Lil-Rokslider
Northern zone 4 where I'm located experienced horrendous EHD die offs in some areas this summer. I live outside the town of Coon Rapids, and from town to approximately 5 miles SE as the crow flies, there were at least 170 dead deer found in or along the river. After a dozen sits on the property I manage along the river, I estimate the herd is down 30-40%. Crawford County, just west of here had their first buck-only first gun season in several years due to herd losses.

Good luck to everybody this season!

That’s terrible. But at least Iowa is good at managing their herd. Hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Servais

FNG
I know it’s not exactly the zone most people want when they come to Iowa, but if anyone is hunting zone 7 I can help them out with info if it’s needed.
There’s def. not the amount of public ground as in other parts of the state but still some good chunks that hold some good deer. Just shoot me a pm if anyone’s looking for some help.

Hello, New to this group and looking for thoughts. 62 yrs old, retired and love chasing monster whitetails DYI, from Wisconsin and have been on a private family farm hunting for over 30 yrs by friendship. Will not draw kansas this year and currently have 5 points for Iowa so looking to hunt unit 4,5, or 6. Would like to find a farm to hunt with little other hunting pressure. willing to pay a fee for the archery season but want to target mature bucks, Do not need to kill one to have a succesful hunt just love chasing and the chance to harvest one . Can you make some suggestions on where to apply and search for property, I am more than happy to spend a few days knocking on doors. Thanks for any suggestions.
Michael

Attachments

• IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    809.3 KB · Views: 33

holder171

FNG
Hello, New to this group and looking for thoughts. 62 yrs old, retired and love chasing monster whitetails DYI, from Wisconsin and have been on a private family farm hunting for over 30 yrs by friendship. Will not draw kansas this year and currently have 5 points for Iowa so looking to hunt unit 4,5, or 6. Would like to find a farm to hunt with little other hunting pressure. willing to pay a fee for the archery season but want to target mature bucks, Do not need to kill one to have a succesful hunt just love chasing and the chance to harvest one . Can you make some suggestions on where to apply and search for property, I am more than happy to spend a few days knocking on doors. Thanks for any suggestions.
Michael

I don’t leave zone 7 for deer so I can’t really help you in the zones you mentioned. I do know there’s good public ground in the zones you mentioned but I’m sure they get a decent amount of pressure. I have an old friend from zone 5 and he’s picked up so much private ground just knocking on doors that I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t gone down there to coyote hunt some of it with him. If you have the time to get here early and can knock on some doors you might score some private ground.

Servais

FNG
So my buddy and I put in for zone 6 with 5 points each. We should draw. We have set up a lease on a beautiful 350 acre farm and have reserved a house about 12 miles away. We are going out for 3 weeks, nov 3 thru teh 24th. If either of us gets lucky and tags early we will buy over the counter tags for Missouri and hunt the close by public down there. There are a number of public pieces within a 1/2 hour drive of our rental. Cant wait!

I don’t leave zone 7 for deer so I can’t really help you in the zones you mentioned. I do know there’s good public ground in the zones you mentioned but I’m sure they get a decent amount of pressure. I have an old friend from zone 5 and he’s picked up so much private ground just knocking on doors that I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t gone down there to coyote hunt some of it with him. If you have the time to get here early and can knock on some doors you might score some private ground.

Thanks so much for the info, Looking forward to spending some time in Iowa. Love the way the state manages the heard compared to Wi and Kansas.

Servais

FNG
So my buddy and I put in for zone 6 with 5 points each. We should draw. We have set up a lease on a beautiful 350 acre farm and have reserved a house about 12 miles away. We are going out for 3 weeks, nov 3 thru teh 24th. If either of us gets lucky and tags early we will buy over the counter tags for Missouri and hunt the close by public down there. There are a number of public pieces within a 1/2 hour drive of our rental. Cant wait!
Can I ask how your hunt turned out? I currently have 5 points and Looking on where to apply for as I would like to hunt the 2024 archery season. Sounds like EHD hit pretty bad in unit 6. Did you guys see much sign of it?
Thanks for any help you are willing to provide.
Sincerely, Michael