Iowa non-resident hunting experiences

Man I waited up until midnight last night to decide on putting in for zone 5 or just grabbing the preference point which is what I ultimately did. I had 3 points and figured I wouldn’t get drawn this year but next year I’ll have 4 and will definitely go for it. Anyone actually draw a zone 5 archery tag with 3 points these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PAE8824

FNG
I'm assuming you guys are driving in to iowa with your gear like stand /sticks/ saddles but if you were to fly in how would you approach this from a diy nonres archery approach on public? Ive been building points and figured I'd figure out the hunting part when the time comes and we're still a ways out but can it be done spot n stalk on the ground with maybe a decoy during the rut or is that frowned upon for whitetail? I hunt axis deer off the ground so wouldn't be a complete knucklehead wandering aimlessly in the woods. I suppose I could go buy and lightweight stand and sticks when I got there or maybe invest in a saddle setup that I could probably bring on the plane (stand sticks wouldn't though) but curious on input of more experienced whitetail hunters.
I am a Lone Wolf Alpha and Stick guy, but I think if you are familiar with hunting with Decoy's and the ground approach you'd kill it in Iowa. I know a few guys in Kansas that only employ this tactic, and are very successful. A lot of the public in Iowa is grasslands and thickets, you would likely have the run of the place and not run into any other hunters

arlow

FNG
So my buddy and I put in for zone 6 with 5 points each. We should draw. We have set up a lease on a beautiful 350 acre farm and have reserved a house about 12 miles away. We are going out for 3 weeks, nov 3 thru teh 24th. If either of us gets lucky and tags early we will buy over the counter tags for Missouri and hunt the close by public down there. There are a number of public pieces within a 1/2 hour drive of our rental. Cant wait!

WKR
We have 2 Iowa tags with some private access and 2 KS tags and will hunt on my place this year. Looking forward to it. After getting 4 Iowa points and paying for the tag this year, it's a bit more than I'd normally pay to hunt a whitetail. Guess we'll see how it goes and decide on the future later.

Last Iowa trip about 20 years ago I killed a mature buck using a decoy and rattling. It was pretty cool to have him walk right up to the decoy while sitting on the ground 15 yards away.

I kind of forgot to remind myself to buy a preference point this year. Will I keep my previous point or do I default on it since I did not buy one this year? Im guessing there is no way to try and get a point now. Thanks.

PAE8824

FNG
No way to get a point now. You will keep your points, Iowa does not have a rule about having to gain a point each year.

Like other Western states however, Iowa is experiencing point creep. Hopefully we get to see what it took to draw Friday.

🤞here, hoping to draw Zone 4 with four points

Iowa is the one "Western" state that I am willing to play the point game in. Only because I lived there and know where to go right away. Plus it is only a three hour drive and I could hunt it just on the weekends if I really had too.

PAE8824

FNG
Iowa is the one "Western" state that I am willing to play the point game in. Only because I lived there and know where to go right away. Plus it is only a three hour drive and I could hunt it just on the weekends if I really had too.
In the whitetail world, Iowa is different.

I kind of forgot to remind myself to buy a preference point this year. Will I keep my previous point or do I default on it since I did not buy one this year? Im guessing there is no way to try and get a point now. Thanks.
I did the same thing. I have 3 points and realized a day late I missed out on my 4th…bummer. Iowa is dream hunt for me.

In the whitetail world, Iowa is different.

I did the same thing. I have 3 points and realized a day late I missed out on my 4th…bummer. Iowa is dream hunt for me.
I am new to the non-res aspect of hunting Iowa. I lived there for 10 yrs and was able to enjoy it all the time. Moving made me realize I should have hunted more than I did and in more places around the state or in the area that I lived. I was hoping to hunt the Fall after I graduate, I may end up short on points though. I don't hunt the Southern Their county though, so that may help.

View attachment 559327
Zone 4 here. PM with if you need pointed in the right direction or are looking for general info.
Zone 4 on public? My Dad and I have hunted public in our Virginia mountains all my life. We have done a couple out of state hunts to Ohio, but never tagged out. We just bought our 2nd preference point this year and trying to figure out which zone to go to so we can begin e-scouting. Based off of info I have seen on here I am thinking skip zone five, and go with either 4,6, or 9. Love some input from someone who knows. We will definitely be hunting public in whichever zone we go.

Sorry I can't PM you, not enough post yet! I could give you my email address if you would rather communicate that way. I will be hunting from 10/30 - 11/12. If I can afford it might try and come a few days earlier. Killed a 150" 10 point a few years ago and would love to kill something bigger than that. I would have no problem eating my tag if I did not get a shot at a nice buck. I have climbing and hang -on tree stands. Will be coming out to scout a few days in Sept. (20-23)
Hunted Colorado a few times many years ago - not sure if I could give you any info current enough to help you there. Hunted around Meeker.

Thanks in advance,
To set expectations, I've hunted private land almost exclusively for the past 25+ years in West Central Iowa. I've killed a 160, 145, and probably a half dozen P&Y deer from 125-140 with my bow. That's hunting 30ish times at least during the season. Yes, Iowa has good numbers of mature deer, but 140 and larger don't just lurk behind every tree. Good luck to you this fall and I hope you shoot a whopper!

I am a Lone Wolf Alpha and Stick guy, but I think if you are familiar with hunting with Decoy's and the ground approach you'd kill it in Iowa. I know a few guys in Kansas that only employ this tactic, and are very successful. A lot of the public in Iowa is grasslands and thickets, you would likely have the run of the place and not run into any other hunters
I've used the 2D Montana style whitetail decoys with success during the rut. Don't have to have a full 3D decoy. You could probably fold and pack one of these in a suitcase.

Pic in the dark is me setting the decoy, and second pic is buck I killed seeing and reacting to the decoy as he crested the hill heading north. Notice his flattened ears and stiff posture.

My stand is in a cedar to the left of the stick in the picture, situated over a rye food plot between primary ag fields and bedding area. This buck was trailing some does that had passed by a few minutes before. I was about 15' up and shot the buck at about 10 yards, just a hair south of where I'm standing in the dark. He came in sideways on rigid stilt legs until he was almost nose-to-nose with the decoy. This gave me a perfect broadside opportunity at a fun-size buck.

Always point buck decoys toward your stand as usually bucks will present a broadside shot, challenging with a sideways "stink eye" maneuver. Their eyes will be focused on the decoy, helping you draw undetected.

Not every buck will come to a decoy, and some will spook, but this guy gave me an incredible encounter and kill with the 2D decoy.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 2019 archery.png
    2019 archery.png
    393.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

holder171

FNG
I know it’s not exactly the zone most people want when they come to Iowa, but if anyone is hunting zone 7 I can help them out with info if it’s needed.
There’s def. not the amount of public ground as in other parts of the state but still some good chunks that hold some good deer. Just shoot me a pm if anyone’s looking for some help.

We have 2 Iowa tags with some private access and 2 KS tags and will hunt on my place this year. Looking forward to it. After getting 4 Iowa points and paying for the tag this year, it's a bit more than I'd normally pay to hunt a whitetail. Guess we'll see how it goes and decide on the future later.

Last Iowa trip about 20 years ago I killed a mature buck using a decoy and rattling. It was pretty cool to have him walk right up to the decoy while sitting on the ground 15 yards away.

How did ya do in Iowa?