iPhone use in the bush questions...

TXCO

WKR
What all these guys said!

I love downloading and tracking maps on my inreach device. I need to invest in a serious extra battery though. The mobie works well for me too. The biggest waste of battery life is screen brightness by the way. I always keep mine turned way down.

Question- I usually turn mine on/off but do you think you save more battery leaving it on and in airplane mode??

Here's a few tips on saving battery life.
- turn off your cellular data
- take out the SIM card (can't talk or text if you do this)
- turn down the screen brightness (harder to see if you are viewing your device in sunlight)
- turn off the tracking feature within the app (no tracks if you do this), airplane mode does the same thing - like turning off cellular data and taking out the SIM card

Gaia GPS - this is a decent app, I used it the last two years. They also have an in app purchase ($20) annual subscription that I decided to try this year -- called Gaia Green. The main benefit that see with this is the ability to layer maps seamlessly. Ex. You could be viewing a Topo map and layer an aerial map -- so you basically get a Topo map and an aerial map on the same image. It has various maps for download offline - one that is pretty slick is called Google Terrain - this one shows slope shading and its easier to see benches and other terrain features.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
On airplane mode mine lasts about a week with no use . with checking gps location a couple times a day, pictures, other misc things, and a few calls to the wife my phone will last about 3 days before needing a charge as long as I keep it in airplane mode between uses.

OP
Brandon Pattison
According to my new American Rifleman, this unit weighs 3 ounces and can fully charge in 8 hours and can fully charge a smartphone. Has anyone given this a fair shake?

iPhone 5 has 1,440 mAh battery.

The GPS works while you have no signal or your phone is broken. The GPS on my 4 and 5 have been just as good or better (ie. accuracy & speed of acquisition) than my Rino 530HcX and that is saying a great deal.

I use Gaia GPS and pre-download USGS Topo and aerial photos. The image quality is far superior to my Garmin and the maps are free (once I paid the initial $10 at the time).

I take a New Trent 5,500 or 9,900 mAh external battery depending on the trip.
I usually get 2-3 days of use from my phone with moderate use but turning it on airplane mode when not in use. I will often use it at night to play poker or scout for the following day.

The SPOT Connect allows you to text custom SPOT messages with your smart phone. I just use my regular SPOT for checking in. I would rather have something proven and simple.

I keep the phone in a ziplock bag in my pocket just as a pre-caution.

Over the last two years I have realized that I like taking pictures during the hunt thus having something to look back on (something I never did before). I was lucky enough that my partner took my avatar picture with my iPhone this last year on the top of the mountain about half way to the truck, right at sundown. It was a quick, "Hey take this and take a few pics" moment and I am forever grateful I carry the phone in my hip belt pocket at all times now while hunting.

I have the 'best' / lightest solar setup (Nomad 7 w/ Guide 10 battery pack) and it's pointless for what we do unless you can leave it at spike camp every day. The battery pack will charge your phone once before needing to be recharged in the sun. There is no point to carry something that weighs 22.8 ounces when you can carry an external battery that will fully charge your phone at least 5 times (maybe 6 depending) for 9.23 ounces (without maintenance or BS). I guess unless you plan on staying for weeks on end.

The alarm clock is very nice.

Any other questions?

amp713

WKR
I didnt read all the way through yet but pictures, times, timers, alarms, a notepad, a game or two for sitting out incliment weather, and being able to call out if you know a spot or two with signal close by are all good reasons....

However my number one reason is my GPS app. It is the Topo maps app by phillip endicott. I would and do recomend anyone who goes outdoors buys this app. IT IS THE BEST APP FOR ANYONE GOING OUTSIDE. It allows you to download the topo map and use it without signal. It uses satelite signal to operate still. It will show you elevations and land flow. It can save waypoints and has all of my trail cams marked on it. Some of the best features are the find me button, the auto adjusting map that adjust the maps as you walk so you arent guessing if you are heading just the right direction and the ability to find amazing spots to glass from. By picking a high point and clicking one of the buttons it actually shows you all of the area you could glass from there and the areas that would be hidden from you..... Def 1 of my tools i will never be without.

I have a small solar charger that charges all of my double A batteries (most of my electronics now use the same battery), once all of the batteries are charged you can use the USB port to charge anything else.... It is a little extra weight but worth it to me 100 percent for hunts lasting a few days!

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I found solar chargers for backpacking to be less than stellar performers, unless your in the desert, above treeline, or have it strapped to the hull of your kayak or something.
They take hours to put any charge worth noticing into your item being charged, and require fairly direct full sun. Strapped to the top of a backpack while your walking though trees etc results in piss poor performance. If your leaving it at your camp everyday, as others said, kinda defeats the purpose of having that iphone etc along with you.

You would be far better off with a battery pack, or something like the Powerpot(which is a little heavy but works like a champ)

OP
Brandon Pattison
I have been involved with some solar photovoltaic projects in my current job regarding planning and engineering. Within the past couple of years there has been leaps and bounds improvement in the output of the cells. I am not a pro on it but I wonder if this new technology has made it to the last frontier. I am only posting this in hopes of more qualified individuals can attest.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Solar chargers work great under the right conditions. Being in tree cover etc isn't one of them no matter the type of cell in the panel. I severly doubt companies like Goalzero are using the newest and greatest cells because that would not be cost effective and would also drive the price of the panels up even higher. Most companies take several years to make the transition. In any case, even the newest tech advanced cells need good direct sunlight to work well. Most newer cells are more efficient, but if your under tree cover then that will mean little. Until they make a panel that runs off shade they will continue to be best suited to open terrain, basecamp, etc.

I have a Goalzero nomad that works great when strapped to the deck of my canoe, or left in a sunny area in camp. Never worked, sorry never charged well enough, when strapped to my pack o justify using it in that manner. Unless your above treeline or similar solar exposure, or dropping your pack and leaving it in a sunny spot then you will probably only average about 15-20% charging throughout the day if your lucky. That would equate to about maybe 7% charge on your average smartphone. I can get the same amount of charge in about 7-10 minutes with a battery pack. A battery pack can fully charge my iPhone from 0 in about an hour, and I can charge my phone 6 times or so with my new Trent battery pack

Rizzy

WKR
I can get about 3 days out of my iphone with reckless use. I use the MP3 player on it a lot so that starts to drain the battery after a while. Also I browse the topo maps while I'm listening to music and that eats the battery too. I don't have an extra battery, so I just ration my use to fit the duration of the trip.

Solar technology is getting a little better, but it is still limited to sunlight. Sunlight is just not always consistently available in the mountains and the panels are kind of bulky for a limited one task use kind of tool. If someone was able to make a fairly lightweight fabric that could serve as a solar panel and be used as a lid on a pack or a hat then.... ;)

amp713

WKR
Thats the good thing about the solar charger i have is that it charges batteries and then charges your phone from there.... Charge it a few days before the hunt and you have a free iphone charge/charged batteries. Once you use that charge you can just hang it in a spot with alot of light while you are out hunting. I personally dont think I will need to charge mine more than once with as little as i use it during the actual season.

slim9300

WKR
Thats the good thing about the solar charger i have is that it charges batteries and then charges your phone from there.... Charge it a few days before the hunt and you have a free iphone charge/charged batteries. Once you use that charge you can just hang it in a spot with alot of light while you are out hunting. I personally dont think I will need to charge mine more than once with as little as i use it during the actual season.

That's the point of an external battery being more practical and lighter than a battery/solar panel. A solar charger only makes sense IMHO when you plan on staying out for 2+ weeks.

9.23 ounces for 9,900 mAh and 6 iPhone charges or 22.8 ounces for a Goal Zero Nomad 7 with Guide 10 battery pack. Plus, the external battery takes up 1/4 of the space in my pack.

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is spot on, and why we have opted to go with the goal zero nomad panel and the guide 10 battery pack.

That's the point of an external battery being more practical and lighter than a battery/solar panel. A solar charger only makes sense IMHO when you plan on staying out for 2+ weeks.

Yep. We typically just take the guide 10 battery pack along, but for lengthy trips (like our upcoming 19 day float hunt for dall sheep and caribou) it is nice to have the solar panel along for recharging the battery pack. We actually got an extra set of rechargeable AA batteries to make the set up more versatile, and allow for use in other devices (think GPS or headlamps) that can run off the AA's. we also have the external goal zero speaker, which allows for a pretty decent music setup off the iPod or iPhone. Definetely not ultralight, but on a long float trip we can splurge for a little bit of extra weight, and being able to continually recharge (sun willing) is worth the weight for those longer trips....

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I have been very happy with my New Trent 9900mah battery pack on a 14 day backpacking trip. I used it to recharge my iphone 2 times, my headlamp once, and my friends droid once, and still had enough left to probably charge my phone or headlamp 1 1/2-2more times. 9.23oz and lots of versatility, i have no doubt i could stretch that to close to 20 days if needed.

amp713

WKR
I dont know the exact weight on mine but its not a standard brand is only about the size of the old ipod classics.... not big at all....

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
They make a external charger that uses AA batteries that will give you one full charge. Very light and cheap with no solar hassle

slim9300

WKR
They make a external charger that uses AA batteries that will give you one full charge. Very light and cheap with no solar hassle

I have the one you are referring to (or something identical) and the weight to charging ratio sucks. I can take my New Trent 5200 mAh battery charger that will give me 2 additional charges for basically the same weight and size. The price of both is also basically identical.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider

Who is is they?

Does anyone use one of these for charging?

KP100-C-BP-box.jpg

Yukon

FNG
like our upcoming 19 day float hunt for dall sheep and caribou

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am curious as to how you keep the meat fresh for almost three weeks if travelling in a raft. I am always trying to learn new techniques and especially for August hunts am always worried about meat care.

Thanks and sounds like an awesome hunt