Is hunting still THAT FUN anymore?

Corn will be off in two weeks and it will be even better. Most fair weather people will be gone. Lots of grouse this year out by me would be fun with the pointing dogs
I have a friend who lives in Aberdeen. He and friends got 54 pheasant and said the same thing about prospects after the corn is off. I told him, 54 ain't too bad.

Corn will be off in two weeks and it will be even better. Most fair weather people will be gone. Lots of grouse this year out by me would be fun with the pointing dogs
Corn was off some of the fields where I was but combines and trucks were everywhere. A crop duster sprayed two different WIA fields while was sitting in my truck off the fields. That was a first for me. Not something I expected opening week.

I'm excited to go back up after its cut and hopefully the crop duster has moved on. I might have to try grouse hunting up there. I am still getting to know the area.

I have a friend who lives in Aberdeen. He and friends got 54 pheasant and said the same thing about prospects after the corn is off. I told him, 54 ain't too bad.
Some guys I spoke with who were pushing private fields with large groups of guys did really well. I am hunting by myself on public land with a young GSP and a pup. 54 birds isn't in my future.

Some guys I spoke with who were pushing private fields with large groups of guys did really well. I am hunting by myself on public land with a young GSP and a pup. 54 birds isn't in my future.
I love GSP's. just lost last of six. :(

I love GSP's. just lost last of six. :(
That sucks. I lost a Vizsla a couple of years ago that broke my heart. My wife was undergoing chemo at the same time. Took some time off, got my wife healthy and bought the GSP and finally another Vizsla pup. I am a man that has to have hunting dogs. Miserable without them.

Maybe hunt back east on public land. I live in the Alleghenies and the NFs and WMAs near me are hunted and explored less than 30 years ago. Of course the feds don't manage the forest as well. But there is still solitude and decent hunting to be had for those that put in the steps.
Agreed.
I miss the solitude. I miss spending a day in the woods without having to move because "inconsiderates" come and sit "in your lap".
I miss other hunters with manners.

Times have changed and it has become over crowded in many places. Almost like going to the mall, only more fristrating. 😁

I like still hunting. I do it when the terrain is heavily treed and spot and stalk isn't possible.

Corn was off some of the fields where I was but combines and trucks were everywhere. A crop duster sprayed two different WIA fields while was sitting in my truck off the fields. That was a first for me. Not something I expected opening week.

I'm excited to go back up after its cut and hopefully the crop duster has moved on. I might have to try grouse hunting up there. I am still getting to know the area.
If you want pm me I can point you in the direction of where I have seen a bunch on public this year. It’s west of Aberdeen but would be fun for your dogs pretty open country for the dogs to run in. Second week of November is deer season west of the river but shouldn’t be a big problem

The day I stop enjoying hunting I will stop hunting. Im 60. Hunting has and is evolving for me and my aging hunting buddies. As I get older I find enjoyment in different way in the woods. I tailor my hunting to what I can do physically without much misery.Willing to change is I think thats what has kept me in the hunting lifestyle.

Hunting is OK for me right now @66 yoa. No where near as passionate about it as I was a dozen years ago and I did kinda slip away from it for a bit but never actually stopped. Hope to renew my drive to get out there this fall/winter. I also get involved other outdoor activities like hiking/camping.

Killed quite a few whitetail with a compound and my blood stopped rushing a while ago when the 'moment' came...just stay calm and execute now.....I will use compound, xbow and rifle.....rifle is way less work for me but I also just hunt the public 95%+ of the time.

I will say that being involved in an outdoor recreation activity is very good for the soul......hiking is OK but going in and camping or hunting is much better for that imo......ya'll have a great season.

I believe we have already seen the peak in western hunters. Non-resident applications were down in Montana this year. I think that trend will continue.

A lot of the new hunters are younger, and want instant gratification. None of the new hunters I know killed anything this year and a few of them were thinking of getting out of it.
That's the main hope for less crowding. I think the increase in Covid hunters took out a lot of animals. Maybe if new hunters don't kill anything for a couple years they will hang up their rifles.

I’ve debated looking at making a move from Canada to the US given our current political situation. Reading posts like this makes me realize being able to own AR’s again is maybe not worth giving up the hunting opportunities I have here. It’s a simple supply/demand issue. Tough call either way.

The years I have the most fun (like this year) is on hard to draw limit entry units. I killed a bull in a herd of 200+ elk all to myself on public land. Obviously that’s pure luck of the draw so other years I have just as much fun hunting low density units that have less pressure. Got to play the point game everywhere too. Whatever it takes to get away from the masses and insta guys with video cameras and drones following them around.

I love it just as much. I picked up with a longbow again after a dozen years of messing with a compound. Moved out west almost 20 years ago and started enjoying rifle hunting again. Never been a trophy hunter and never will be. My main focus has always been meat and the mountains. That’s my living is cheffing and food and I just incorporate hunting and foraging into it. I don’t care what others do or think on it. It keeps me happy and gives me peace of mind

If you want pm me I can point you in the direction of where I have seen a bunch on public this year. It’s west of Aberdeen but would be fun for your dogs pretty open country for the dogs to run in. Second week of November is deer season west of the river but shouldn’t be a big problem
PM sent. Thanks.

Back