Is the Expen$$$ive Turkey ammo worth it?

rocknry09

FNG
In my opinion it’s all about how it’s shooting in your gun and choke. I bought some TTS and the cheap Winchester turkey load patters better with my set up. I’m sure I could make adjustments but find out what works and use that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Cut

WKR
Stevens 301 20 Gauge - Factory choke
37 yards
Remington Heavy 6’s 2 3/4” 1OZ
Federal TSS 9’s 3” 1.5OZ

22.5” Long X 14” Wide target for reference
IMG_0738.jpeg

rocknry09

FNG
Stevens 301 20 Gauge - Factory choke
37 yards
Remington Heavy 6’s 2 3/4” 1OZ
Federal TSS 9’s 3” 1.5OZ

22.5” Long X 14” Wide target for reference
View attachment 692113

Is that a fair comparison? Dove ammo Vs turkey load? Wonder how longbeard XR compares to the Fed TSS in that gun

Long Cut

WKR
Is that a fair comparison? Dove ammo Vs turkey load? Wonder how longbeard XR compares to the Fed TSS in that gun

I was using the 6’s to check the zero on my red dot.
Didn’t trust the pattern, so I shot the TSS just to be sure.

Simply sharing my findings with y’all.

Haven’t shot XR’s through this gun, but XR’s through my 12’s haven’t put up the numbers like this 20 will with TSS.
I don’t think you’ll see 400+ hits with any XR blend at 35-40 yards.

rocknry09

FNG

Haven’t shot XR’s through this gun, but XR’s through my 12’s haven’t put up the numbers like this 20 will with TSS.

Yeah thanks for sharing and a great pattern. What I’m realizing is that my 12 ga rem 870 didn’t seems to like the tss to much. I used both a Carlson and Stock choke too

Long Cut

WKR
Yeah thanks for sharing and a great pattern. What I’m realizing is that my 12 ga rem 870 didn’t seems to like the tss to much. I used both a Carlson and Stock choke too

TSS doesn’t seem to like super tight chokes like you’d find a lead counterpart favoring.

Sumtoy and Indian Creek seem to be “the best” turkey choke manufacturers. I’d research and reach out to either if you’re interested in trying TSS again.

I never was a TSS fan, until I misjudged a gobbler at 55 steps when I thought he was 40-45 steps out. 12 gauge with XR’s and a tight choke that patterned great out to 40-50 yards. Now I’m more shot selective and favor the TSS just in case I misjudge the yardage again.

N2TRKYS

WKR
TSS doesn’t seem to like super tight chokes like you’d find a lead counterpart favoring.

Sumtoy and Indian Creek seem to be “the best” turkey choke manufacturers. I’d research and reach out to either if you’re interested in trying TSS again.

I never was a TSS fan, until I misjudged a gobbler at 55 steps when I thought he was 40-45 steps out. 12 gauge with XR’s and a tight choke that patterned great out to 40-50 yards. Now I’m more shot selective and favor the TSS just in case I misjudge the yardage again.
I couldn’t get the more open chokes to throw a pattern that I liked. I went .555 in my 20ga and .660 in my 12ga for my preferred pattern. You just never know until you shoot them.

KurtR

WKR
6-7.5 I’ll load up whatever’s on sale. Works for quail as well.
Back when I hunted turkeys, Everything I tipped over was with 2-3/4" high brass 4's, nothin fancy.

I run 6's through my 20ga for everything
6 is what i shoot at pheasants . 7.5 or 8 what ever is the cheapest for doves. I did see a guy shoot a dove with some bbb steel one pellet must have hit the head it was gone with no other hole in it.

I shoot more quail and grouse than anything. And I'm not going to go buy different shells for each bird thats out there. And it seemed to me like 6's would pass through more often than the smaller shot. I am all for not picking shot and feathers out of birds.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Back in the "post lead ban" 70's, a bunch of us were shooting ducks on a big private lake.
Remington had just come out with their 2.75" "Nitro-Mag" with the buffer in the shot column.
Pass shooting ducks over dekes, we used Nitro-Mag 4's.
I can't tell you how many times I shot at ducks and could hear the shot hit the duck, but the duck just flew on to survive or die out of sight!
I told my dad what was happening.
"Try some high velocity #9's.", pop said.
Always the low man on bag count, I kicked their butt the rest of the season!

The more shot you put downrange, the greater your chances of having a fatal pellet strike.

"Pattern density kills, not shot size!"

e0875cf9fd9e7e837097b5407d55a765.jpg

My uncle and his soon to be SiL doubled up this morning on AL opening day with .410s and TSS at the dastardly distance of 36 yards. They should be put in jail.

They also worked them for 2 hours. The double beard at the bottom apparently was working on double spurs as well.

Shame on them for using TSS out of .410s. Should have use 7.5 lead dove loads

Long Cut

WKR
e0875cf9fd9e7e837097b5407d55a765.jpg

My uncle and his soon to be SiL doubled up this morning on AL opening day with .410s and TSS at the dastardly distance of 36 yards. They should be put in jail.

They also worked them for 2 hours. The double beard at the bottom apparently was working on double spurs as well.

Shame on them for using TSS out of .410s. Should have use 7.5 lead dove loads

TSS isn’t sporting at all. Only real men hunt with an atlatl.

Tahoe1305

WKR

I shot some #5 XRs and #9 TSS at 40yds a few weeks back.

At that range both were very effective. In the turkey neck/head kill zone I had roughly 42 from XR and double that from TSS.

Obviously at that range both would easily kill a turkey. I’m guessing at 60 yds you could divide by 2 and still both would be highly effective. But yes TSS will provide more buffer.

KurtR

WKR
Back in the "post lead ban" 70's, a bunch of us were shooting ducks on a big private lake.
Remington had just come out with their 2.75" "Nitro-Mag" with the buffer in the shot column.
Pass shooting ducks over dekes, we used Nitro-Mag 4's.
I can't tell you how many times I shot at ducks and could hear the shot hit the duck, but the duck just flew on to survive or die out of sight!
I told my dad what was happening.
"Try some high velocity #9's.", pop said.
Always the low man on bag count, I kicked their butt the rest of the season!

The more shot you put downrange, the greater your chances of having a fatal pellet strike.

"Pattern density kills, not shot size!"
The ban did not start to be phased in till 1987 and then nationwide in 1991. It was a good story though.

TSS gives you pattern density and lets sub gauges punch up a weight class.

I shoot a 28g for most everything that takes shotgun. I can handload 1-3/8oz of TSS but i don't feel like the extra 3/8oz is worth beating up my gun. A 1 oz load of #9 at 40 yards has extremely uniform patterning and no gaps to miss a turkey on a 24" circle. I took a turkey at 55yards last season, but generally I'm wacking them at 20ish