Is there a reason to choose OnX over Basemap? Other Qs about Basemap. BMAs?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I like Basemap over OnX due to its lower price - if all else is the same or close - which is what I've read in places. Are there any glaring omissions in either one if compared to the other that you'd want to mention?

I have no experience with either other than just having tapping around with the free versions.

If going to "X" state, it'd be nice to have every layer needed to keep you on the right property - BLM boundaries, State land, Federal land, Block Management Access (BMA), etc.
  • Are Montana's BMAs available as a layer in either?
  • Can you upload your own georeferenced maps or layers to both?
  • Do they both allow for various types of waypoints, placing points of interest, etc?
  • Do either offer "breadcrumbs" - a map of the track you walked that day?
I wish I could add all my potential questions but that's all I have at the moment.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I've only used OnX so can't speak to Basemap, but I've never had an issue with it. Answers to your questions.
-Yes
-I don't know
-Yes- OnX has a ton of different waypoint options, you can also color coordinate and add a pic.
-Yes

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
i use both... not sure i like either one. basemap has better imagery by far. onX is easier to use expecailly downloading maps. i am not sure which one i'll ultimately stick with.

Fatcamp

WKR
Desktop screen with OnX is much better, I ended up using my wife's account for Esxouting.

I had issues this year with Basemap offline maps showing up.

Basemap had an area without detail I really needed to see this fall.

Basemap MVUM and Trails shows waaaaay to many roads. I need to see legal access, not every jeep trail ever.

First year with Basemap. OnX for 4 year?

street

WKR
I went with basemap this year. It honestly was a huge pain on Android at least. The offline maps were hit and miss. Multiple times having to re download them. I'm going back to onx.

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
What are your buddies using? I went with onx primarily because all of my associates are using it and it's easier to share and figure things out if everyone is looking at the same thing. My only gripe is that the only options seem to be paying a little for one state or a lot for every state. I currently have four states that I get around in a little, three of which have public land that I'm interested in.

geoff995

WKR
I tried out BaseMap this September after using onX for several years. I had several road numbers mislabeled on BaseMap and the offline maps were missing detail that was available prior to truly going offline for the hunt. After 3 days, I got to an area with service and re downloaded onX. I really wanted to like BaseMap because of the price but I felt like the lower price equaled a lesser product.

littlefish

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with Basemap, but Gaia is much better than OnX in my opinion, and it satisfies all of the answers to your questions. I don't think you can add custom sources to OnX, but you can with Gaia using Map Warper.

N.ID7803

WKR
I too tried Basemap and wanted to like it, but downloading maps in service and thinking all is good, then going out of service and not having the maps I thought I had was a huge dissapointment. Maybe it was user error, but downloading offline maps on OnX is way more user friendly. Onx does have more waypoint options then Basemap.
That being said I am tempted to give Basemap another try, now that they have partnered with SIG and added the remote markers feature, that seems like a game changer.