Jumping ship from OnX to Gaia

Am excited to check Gaia out! have had OnX and currently have Basemap. Basemap has a ways to go for what my family and I do with the app. The track function simply doesn't work, have tried everything that Basemap suggested to no avail... And their map saving could use some improvement, IMO. Their land ownership updates are very slow...

OnX works well, but their pricing is keeping us at bay for now...

BaseMap

Am excited to check Gaia out! have had OnX and currently have Basemap. Basemap has a ways to go for what my family and I do with the app. The track function simply doesn't work, have tried everything that Basemap suggested to no avail... And their map saving could use some improvement, IMO. Their land ownership updates are very slow...

OnX works well, but their pricing is keeping us at bay for now...

Can you email us to let you know what issues you were having? We update our landowner information quarterly where as onX does it yearly. This is all based on what the municipality has on file and not a direct reflection of BaseMap.

Please email us at [email protected]

corncob

WKR
I've used Gaia extensively for hunting, hiking, and backcountry skiing/snowmobiling.

Being able to add the Google Satellite Imagery as a custom layer (you can find a TMS link for doing so on reddit) and then download all kinds of layers has made it a game changer, especially on newer phones that have a ton of storage.

Other features that I like:
-Gaia also has GMUs for CO, NM, and several other states I've been to.
-Public and Private boundaries are laid out, with ownership tagged. Every now and then there's an "unknown owner", but if I care enough about that I'll go to that county's assessor site and research.

Some favorite layers:
-Neotreks Land Use. They added this last year sometime and it's the best multi-use topo I've found.
-USFS MVUM
-Public Land
-Private Land
-Google Maps Hybrid Sat (custom import)
-USFS Roads and Trail
-Colorado WIA hunting areas
-Wildfires (cool info)
-Multiple USFS layers/maps (Classic, 2016, Rec Sites, Roadless, Visitor, Timber Harvest)
-Slope Angle Shading - Helps for backcountry skiing but also a quick glance to make sure you're not optimistic when reading the topo lines on the "hill" that will "oh, only take about 10 minutes, it's not too steep"

Might have to check out BaseMap, but for now Gaia is an easy choice for me for the price!

corncob

WKR
Can you email us to let you know what issues you were having? We update our landowner information quarterly where as onX does it yearly. This is all based on what the municipality has on file and not a direct reflection of BaseMap.

Please email us at [email protected]

Is there a way to modify the transparency of the layer in your app? I'm pretty smitten with the way I can stack multiple layers in Gaia and when playing with your app I found I had a strong desire to overlay a topo map with Google Sat imagery, but I couldn't find a way to do that. In Gaia, I regularly have a Topo and Sat layer stayed and play with the opacity of the upper layer to find ponds, meadows, etc.

willidru

WKR
Do any of these platforms integrate with Garmin Inreach? It would be perfect if you could utilize the satellite from the inreach with the mapping on your phone.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I not have read through all here but will Gaia work out of cell service with pre downloaded maps like onX? With the 19.99 subscription?

Do any of these platforms integrate with Garmin Inreach? It would be perfect if you could utilize the satellite from the inreach with the mapping on your phone.

Inreach has their own hunt maps layer & an app for mobile.

You simply use your phone to drive the messaging, and your phone to drive the gps app of your choosing.

Unless your reffering to having that actual satellite antena within the iphone so you wouldn't need an inreach at all.... But that would be silly with current tech limitations.

I not have read through all here but will Gaia work out of cell service with pre downloaded maps like onX? With the 19.99 subscription?

I purchased GAIA many years ago and have a grandfathered plan, so I am not totally up to date on current features/cost. But I would assume the initial purchase would get you offline maps. Usually the additional costs are for the additional layers.

I’ve used OnX and Gaia extensively.

Th only thing that OnX does better....is their land ownership layer. However, I don’t hunt around private land and this feature has no value to me.

As others have said OnX is clunky.

A benefit of using Gaia is that you can choose from a number of different sattelite image libraries. Pick the best imagery covering the area you’ll be in and then save them for offline use. As opposed to OnX, where if the only file they have has poor resolution or is corrupted, you’re out of luck. This happens to be the case in the area I hunt for moose. Thankfully I found Gaia!!

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased GAIA many years ago and have a grandfathered plan, so I am not totally up to date on current features/cost. But I would assume the initial purchase would get you offline maps. Usually the additional costs are for the additional layers.

👍🏻 Thank you

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll give it a try this year, I still use mainly a stand-alone gps but like having onX as an option and been trying it out with some offline issues but may be operator error

corncob

WKR
I’ve used OnX and Gaia extensively.

Th only thing that OnX does better....is their land ownership layer. However, I don’t hunt around private land and this feature has no value to me.

From my experience (friends using OnX vs me using Gaiai), the mapping of private/public boundaries are mostly the same, but the actual ownership info (names, etc) are often more updated and accurate on OnX. Sometimes Gaia shows it as private, but says “unknown owner”. Is that your experience, too, or is it more of a gap that I’ve seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
Highhuntin, you can download a free version of Gaia onto your phone so it establishes your account. Then email them and tell them you’d like to check it out in more detail. They’ll give you a free month of premium to try.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Highhuntin, you can download a free version of Gaia onto your phone so it establishes your account. Then email them and tell them you’d like to check it out in more detail. They’ll give you a free month of premium to try.

Good to know thank you, I have it downloaded and will have to get the free month to check it out👍🏻

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
do you email them threw the app? i cant seem to find it