Island Hunt - Need Recommendations on Grille setup

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d like to get a few recommendations on a cook setup for a 1 or 2 night river island hunt a couple friends and I do a few times a year.

For context, weight/size are kinda important, but for reference, we take 2 canoes, 3 Kifaru packs (Ma Deuce and Hoodlums) pretty much packed to the brim, esp if in later season, and at least 2 Yeti 65’s (3 at most w/a 100 at the trucks). It’s a short light paddle (no white water). So that’s the setting. And hopefully enough detail to describe the situation. Bottom line is weight/size is of some importance as we do have limited space in the canoes.

In the past, we’ve brought a large cast iron pan. We’ve also tried a light weight grate, and a heavier weight grate. We get a few pcs of firewood going til we have good coals to cook on. The lightweight grate was too flimsy. The cast iron yielded the best flavor, but clean up was a little pain since we wanted to spend time hunting and not having to worry a lot about clean up.

The typical dinner is beef ribeyes or maybe a fresh kill venison tenderloin. Nothing beyond that that would require a cooking grate. So, pretty simple. I’ll precook a few sweet potatoes and wrap in foil, place them fireside while we’re cooking meat til they’re warm.

Do y’all have a cooking grate solution you’d recommend? I think we want to go more that route instead of bringing a cast iron.

Appreciate any Recommendations.