It cuts both ways

tater

WKR
I was listening to KifaruCast with the Josh Bowman Interview (part 2), and i was struck by the double bind of language when they began to discuss the anthropomorphisation of predators (bears in particular) by the public.

It went down the usual rabbit hole of "people think bears are cute because of cartoons and teddy bears" etc, but then made the move into "and predators like bears are just evil". I think they used that word at least five times in three minutes of conversation.

Now i imay sound like everyone's worst nightmare grade ten english teacher, but to criticize opponents of hunting for ascribing human traits to our prey and then in turn doing the same ourselves, we lose credibility. The old philosophical question of "who is good and who is evil: the rabbit running for his life or the fox running for food to feed it's kits" is moot: they are not human.
They cannot be good or evil. Those are human conditions.

A bear is doing what bears are designed to do.
Just like we as hunters are doing what we are designed to do.
Their methods may be little less sophisticated and "humane", but the outcome is the same.

I have no doubt in my mind that if someone snapped a picture of us at the last second before we send a bullet or an arrow, we have the same look of cold calculation that you see in a bear would be present. And that is neither good nor evil.

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
I feel that hunting and our natural resources have become so financially driven and certain members of social media romanticize certain aspects of the outdoors and species within it. The OP said it well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
I still can’t get past episode 1 talking nutrition when Bowman said don’t eat fruit or vegetables they’re bad. WTF???? Can’t get with that. I feel much better when I have a well rounded diet.

Okhotnik

WKR
People are selfish. The only reason bears and wolves are evil is because they are competing for the same resource.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Now you’re projecting your biases and fears on others

Coming from SD I’m sure you run into wolves every day. I don’t like wolves because I’ve seen calves hamstrung with their intestines ripped and screaming in horrible pain . Did even bother to kill and eat it.

And wolves have attempted to kill my dog

I don’t hate or fear them there’s too many in certain areas and they should be aggressively managed

I like bears and enjoy photographing and watching them . Grizzlies give me a big pucker factor though. They’re going to have start managing them in Montana And Wyoming.

Last edited:
Now you’re projecting your biases and fears on others

Coming from SD I’m sure you run into wolves every day. I don’t like wolves because I’ve seen calves hamstrung with their intestines ripped and screaming in horrible pain . Did even bother to kill and eat it.

And wolves have attempted to kill my dog

I don’t hate or fear them there’s too many in certain areas and they should be aggressively managed

I like bears and enjoy photographing and watching them . Grizzlies give me a big pucker factor though. They’re going to have start managing them in Montana And Wyoming.

I don't know that he is projecting anything there. I have seen the same thing, but not from wolves but coyotes, domestic dogs, and hunters trying to do things beyond their ability.

I definitely believe in predator management. The ecosystem is altered since we have our hand in it, and I think we need to play a roll now in controlling the predator population. However that isn't eradication, predators are a part of the ecosystem.

Fromthedepths

Lil-Rokslider
I think they use their podcast as a means to try and get their Colorado bear season reinstated by pushing the issue to the public . I didn’t listen to that episode but I’ve heard most of the others .

I still can’t get past episode 1 talking nutrition when Bowman said don’t eat fruit or vegetables they’re bad. WTF???? Can’t get with that. I feel much better when I have a well rounded diet.
He also said dont eat veggies or take vitamins because your body can not use them.... and then said take green powder substitutes and eat meat ;-) figure that one out...

jmez

WKR
Wolves eat too survive, they don't have feelings for the calf. That is nature at it's finest.

If I were eating to survive I'd bash the calf in the head with a rock if I had to, I wouldn't care what sounds it made. If I had no means to kill it and we're trying to suvive I'd eat it alive as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Dusty2426

WKR
I love kifaru cast and the way Aron and frank handle issues. But can’t listen to this one. Josh Bowmar is the tip of the spear (pun intended) to what is the douche baggers of the instafamous hunt clan. I’ll pick it up on the next one