J.C. Higgins Model 51

dv8pnt

FNG
Does anyone have any input on this gun ? I have plenty of rifles to hunt with but I inherited this one lately. It was my father in laws . He told me that he shot a mule deer with it in the 60s. I like the mauser action. the bore looks great. The only thing I might change is the 4 power weaver on it. Scopes have come a long way. Lol.He didnt hunt much so its in pretty nice shape.

Those are awesome old rifles. I had one I stupidly sold years ago… great Mauser action and a high standard barrel. The plain stock didn’t make it a looker but I liked the understated working man’s hunting rifle look. They used to be found dirt cheap until the newer mass produced rifles quality went downhill and people figured out how good these “cheap” guns were.

OP
D

dv8pnt

FNG
DV,
II think Husqvarna may have made a few rifles for Sears. Is it a small ring mauser?

Pic?
I am not good with pics. lol. I wasnt sure what you meant by small ring mauser. the stock is checkered.

WCB

WKR
I am not good with pics. lol. I wasnt sure what you meant by small ring mauser. the stock is checkered.
The front of the receiver (reciever ring) on the small ring will measure 1.3ish across the large 1.410"? I believe.

OP
D

dv8pnt

FNG
DV,
II think Husqvarna may have made a few rifles for Sears. Is it a small ring mauser?

Pic?
The action is a FN action if that helps. I took it to the range over the summer . Both shots were dead on at a hundred yards. I was going to take it hunting for something different but not crazy about the fine recticle on the scope. Eyes arent what they used to be.