Jeep owners...

Vitals

WKR
I was wondering how many of you have ever felt like your jeep didn't have enough space for all your hunting/camping type activities?

I'm trying to consider other vehicles other than an f150. It seems that If I want the benefits of improved gas mileage, I have to get into a 2012 or newer f150 with an ecoboost. From what I can find, there is significantly better gas mileage than I get out of my tahoe with a 2010 or newer Jeep. The Unlimited are really nice. I'm just not sure It would meet all my needs of space. Can you find enough room to sleep in the front?

Any suggestions are appreciated

hflier

WKR
I have had at least 4 jeeps over the years. I like them, but they just don't work if you do much other than day trips. Love my Toyota Tundra.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a 2014 JKUR. It's a great rig for what it is and the most well equipped factory 4x4 that I'm aware of. Yes, space is a concern, but that can be helped along with a hitch carrier, and a roof rack if you want. Keep in mind though, a Jeep is a Jeep. They have come a long way in terms of comfort, but they are still rough and loud compared to other SUVs. I get 16 mpg in town and 20 on the freeway. It's certainly not economical or the most comfortable vehicle on the road, but it sure is fun. Just don't get a 2012 Jeep. Widespread cylinder head problems.

Ruskin

WKR
I love my JKU. I'm 5'6' so i put the seats down and a piece of plywood so I can sleep. It will carry all your gear for 1 or 2. It takes some planning and it's not spacious. I take a fishing cooler to hold any kills. Off road, nothing comes close to my JKU rubicon on 37".

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
I have been researching this for the last 4 month. I started building out an 85 F250 for my backcountry/hunting rig.
As it was not going to be ready for my 3rd season hunt I picked up a 48 Willy’s jeep. Now that the season is over I started back on the truck when the wife asked how the 4 of us will fit as it is a regular cab. I am now leaning towards a late model Suburban as our ‘over landing’
Vehicle and tow the Willy’s behind to get further back where I don’t want to take the Burb
The Goals for this will be: Long range, extended remote hunting trips are the main focus; although it also needs to comfortably, and reliably, carry a family of 4 people through the rough CO trails and fire roads.

Do a search for expedition portal. Lots of great idea’s there.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
gyrumesa.jpg
not a jeep but with that trailer it will haul anything that fit anywhere your brave enough to point it.

SDHNTR

WKR
gyrumesa.jpg
not a jeep but with that trailer it will haul anything that fit anywhere your brave enough to point it.

I had a 76 FJ that I buffed out in high school and drove it all thru college. My friends called it Colonel Mustard. Man I wish I still had that rig. I regret the day I sold it! It would go anywhere and never let me down.

Cindy

FNG
Space is a HUGE issue with any vehicle consideration.
I own a 2 door Jeep Rubicon.
I consider it a one person vehicle.
Yes it has seat belts for four people, but no gear.
The rear of my Jeep is full of tire chains, high boy jack, jumper cables, tow straps, spare winch line, ect. (You know, safety and recovery gear.)
The rear seat is usually piled high with my gear.
Spare clothes, guns, optics, maps, ect.
The passenger seat is usually home to snacks, binoculars, and such.

On the occasion that I have a friend along, the Jeep gets beyond full pretty quick.

The new JK Unlimited versions (4 door) have more interior room, and might be more of what you are looking for.

My opinion as a Jeep owner is that Jeeps are not for everyone.
I would never buy Jeep as a daily driver to get to work and visit the grocery store.

I spend a lot of time in areas where ATV, OHV, ORV type vehicles are not allowed. The very best way to get around is an extremely versatile automobile.
That is why I own a Jeep.
I also spend a lot of time on winter range photographing big game.
I don't want to be out in 15 degree weather all day in a side by side.

Personally, I would not buy a Jeep Wrangler that did not have locking differentials and sway bar disconnect.
A winch, 4 inch lift, and 35 inch tires are also requirements for me.

Being stranded in the middle of nowhere on a freezing winter night is not my idea of fun.

A Jeep may not be for you.

I have to second hflier on his recommendation.
I also own a Toyota Sequoia. (same engine and drive train as the Tundra. SUV version)
It has differential locks, is a very capable truck, and has a much nicer ride than my Jeep.
It has much more space and I have slept in it many times along side my gear.

But, it is not a Jeep. It is limited in where it will go.
I have been stuck for hours in the Toyota. The Jeep will go where ever I ask it to whenever I ask it to.
That is why you buy a Jeep.

If you want a lot of gear space and sleeping room, the Jeep wont be for you.

This is why you buy a Jeep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShYs6ceLfPc&list=UUVLgLGbIHl7efE_t8_SEPPA&feature=c4-overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGU6zDcQX6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o82jVWBjI8

If you want to own a Jeep, and are looking for a place to sleep.....

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ent-on-top-of-a-jeep-of-course/1#.Uu66hT1dUS4

I've had two JKUs and love 'em. I've done everything from family camping, elk hunting with wall tent & stove, and lightweight backpack hunting trips out of my Jeeps. Sleeping in a JKU would be very uncomfortable unless you are really compact.

Having said that I don't own motorcycles or ATVs and came to hunting from a mountaineering/backpacking background; so my perspective is based upon traveling light.

ethan

WKR
I drive a '97 TJ, everywhere. Including work. I drive 48 miles one way, 4 days a week. I love it and never plan on parting with it. But that being said I agree a person either loves or hates a jeep.

You can haul gear, you just gotta be selective and creative, like roof racks, hitch haulers, etc... I'm a machinist by trade and am currently designing a hood rack for mine. I have not seen one commercially, but I think it will work out well.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
Keep this in mind with the '08 an newer wrangler unlimited (4 door). You can run 35's on 2.5" of lift. Rock Krawler makes a great kit. To run 35's in the 08-10 models I recommend a regear. 4.88 for manual or 5.13 for automatic. For the '12 and new I understand you do not need as much gear but I am unfamiliar with those. The lower gear will help tremendously on and off road.

jm1607

WKR
I have a '98 ZJ niner.. With the rear seat down and the spare in the back it has NO ROOM! My friend and I filled it to the head liner and there were just 2 of us.. I don't think 3 would work...

I kinda wish I bought a Powerstroke...

Last edited:

bz_711

WKR
I owned and drove Jeeps (CJ, YJ, TJ) for nearly 20 years (and wife had Grand Cherokee)...my fourth kid put me overdue on needing more space - family of 6 just doesn't fit:)

I took over my wifes suburban at the time and upgraded her suburban...I absolutely love Jeeps and thought I'd miss life without one...only thing I miss are summer nights with the top down.
A suburban has become the perfect hunting vehicle for me:
-Plenty of dry/lockable space
-Plenty of room for two to sleep in if needed
-luggage rails for cargo carrier
-gas mileage better than any Jeep I've owned including Grand Cherokee
-cannot beat cross country comfort of 4 captains seats when heading to elk camp
-pulls 7x16 enclosed trailer no problem
-heated seats:)
-and for being a stock grocery getter, I have taken it up many a 4x4 2 tracks in CO and have been very impressed (as long as you don't mind some rubbing). I do get strange looks from the Jeepers when we go flying up the hill in a family truckster with big luggage/cargo box on top. Most underestimate what a stock 4x4 with good treads on can do!!!

Obviously it will not go those extra places that Jeeps will - Jeeps are truly made for off road...but I also like to hunt Wilderness where the offroaders are not allowed.
If I lived by Elk country I would still want a Jeep - but for our 16 hour elk trips and all other outdoor recreation I plan to own a suburban for life.

boom

WKR
i drove a CJ7 for years. my first deer, we dragged to the jeep and then had that "oh-o" look. i strapped it to the spare tire.

Jeeps are great. if i had one now..i would build a M416 trailer up to handle the extra stuff. right now i have a tacoma. my wife told me a man's truck is like a purse. the bigger it is the more stuff we bring. a lot of truth in that.

i drove a CJ7 for years. my first deer, we dragged to the jeep and then had that "oh-o" look. i strapped it to the spare tire.

Owned a TJ for a while. Took it moose hunting one time and managed to fit an entire (boned out) bull + 45" rack inside. Camp had to go on the roof rack though. Another time I put the camp inside, but had two quartered caribou on the roof rack. They are just a tad tight on space. The rear seat rarely left the garage and the roof rack was used regularly.

Yk

I have never owned a Jeep, but I am considering one. I use to drive an S-10 ZR2, still wish I had that truck too. The cab was just the right size for two people and with the extended cab you could put valuable gear and lock it in. The bed was large enough to get gear for two people in it and enough room for several deer, or a two hole dog box. About the only thing I would say that needed to be upgraded was the wheel hubs. They did not enlarge them from a stock S-10 and the bigger tires wore the bearings out early. Other than that it had good power from the V6 Vortek motor, lifted a bit with larger tires and posi-trac.

The only reason I got out of the truck was that I thought I was going to be doing the family thing and moved up to a F150 with the V8. If anyone is interested I would get out of it.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
That's hilarious. Definitely something to thing about.

Jeeps are great. if i had one now..i would build a M416 trailer up to handle the extra stuff. right now i have a tacoma. my wife told me a man's truck is like a purse. the bigger it is the more stuff we bring. a lot of truth in that.