Jet boil

Colthutton

Lil-Rokslider
What is everyone's pick for the best jet boil light weight stove for mountain hunting

We have an MSR Windburner, a Jet Boil Flash and a Jet Boil Minimo

The Windburner and flash are very similar although the edge goes to the Jet Boil for the ignitor.
The mini mo is more stout and wide. It is nicer to eat out of as the "barrel/bowl" isn't as narrow but it is a pain to pack the larger sizer to be honest.

OP
C

Colthutton

Lil-Rokslider
We have an MSR Windburner, a Jet Boil Flash and a Jet Boil Minimo

The Windburner and flash are very similar although the edge goes to the Jet Boil for the ignitor.
The mini mo is more stout and wide. It is nicer to eat out of as the "barrel/bowl" isn't as narrow but it is a pain to pack the larger sizer to be honest.

I think the size of the stove is going to be a big deal breaker for me I got lots of stuff taking up room in my bag now, so the smaller the better. was going to go with a micromo

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I think the size of the stove is going to be a big deal breaker for me I got lots of stuff taking up room in my bag now, so the smaller the better. was going to go with a micromo

I've been running the Micro Mo without any issues.

ColeyG

WKR
Reactor is the best by far.

The hanging kit is a nice addition as well, especially when tent bound or when camped on snow. I made a little adapter for mine that lets me use a small titanium frying pan on top.

I have a Jetboil, Windburner, Superfly, Pocket Rocket, Dragonfly, XGK, Whisperlite, and Simmerlite kicking around in my camping kit. I find myself reaching for the Reactor all of my backpack hunts these days.

I was involved in the testing of the Jetboil version 1.0 many years ago. My opinion then and the feedback I gave to Jetboil was that the burner was too small to do well in in the wind and the design of the heat exchanger and pot didn't sufficiently shelter the burner from the wind. Though they have improved the design somewhat over the years, I still feel that burner size and wind screening ability is the Achilles heel of the Jetboil line. Though the boil times for 1L are pretty similar in calm conditions, add a little bit of wind and some colder temps and the Reactor smokes the Jetboil in a side-by-side test. In other words, it is a far more efficient stove in most normal outdoor cooking situations. A more efficient stove means less fuel consumption and lighter packs.

I do prefer liquid fuel stoves though, Whisper or Simmerlite in particular, for prolonged use in colder temps, say below 25F for a few days or more. I also like them better for longer trips where melting snow is required.

10ringer

WKR
Jetboil Flash has served me well. Has the built in ignitor and the boiling water indicator on the side of the pot which is very useful if you’re distracted doing other tasks as your water boils. Over 50 pots of water boiled with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
IME, The backcountry is no place for a stove with plastic parts....they can break/melt.

Use a metal stove/pot combo thats lighter and more compact overall....or find an all metal JB clone.

Been running a Jetboil Sol for 5-6yrs now. No issues whatsoever. Received a Reactor 1L for Christmas. It’s obviously a much more heavy duty built system but can’t say in my testing it’s better or worse than my Sol. To save a few ounces the Sol wins.

I’ve been using Jetboil stoves for about 10 years now with the most used one being a SOL and have had absolutely zero issues. Not even an igniter fail. I don’t dispute that there have been some epic JB fails, I’ve just never experienced any, or even seen any for that matter. Kind of like all mine and my friends’ Kimber rifles, they’ve all been sub MOA, and just continue to tip game over, but I guess there have been some complete failures out there, I’ve just never seen any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my JB! If you can source a SOL TI they are about as lite as you'll find.

Edit: In an apples to apples comparison to a conventional stove and pot system mine is 8 oz.
7.3 without the sleeve on the pot.

Last edited: