Jocko Willink Origin Hunting Gear?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Kifaru does make a few pieces of clothing too
They do, but nothing technical. An apex insulated jacket with a silnylon shell isn't really a technical piece. They aren't into laminates, down, 4 way stretch, etc. They don't want to go down that rabbit hole, can't say I don't blame em. The military contracts are where the money's at. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They do, but nothing technical. An apex insulated jacket with a silnylon shell isn't really a technical piece. They aren't into laminates, down, 4 way stretch, etc. They don't want to go down that rabbit hole, can't say I don't blame em. The military contracts are where the money's at. Everything else is icing on the cake.

They have said they plan on making more pieces of clothing, and have looked into several that they decided not to because of US sourced material availability.

None of that has anything to do with the statement I replied to, however, that implied they would claim the materials aren’t available because they profit off of Chinese labor.

They have said they plan on making more pieces of clothing, and have looked into several that they decided not to because of US sourced material availability.

None of that has anything to do with the statement I replied to, however, that implied they would claim the materials aren’t available because they profit off of Chinese labor.
Im gonna assume that guy was talking about how many of the established clothing companies claim it simply cant be done in the USA, which is what i remember aron saying, but i may be wrong cause it was a while ago. Think ive heard him say people at these hunting clothing brands he wears told him as much. Either way its obviously not true, gulch gear, forloh and now origin have found a way to do it. Obviously its just more lucrative to make stuff overseas

sneaky

"DADDY"
Im gonna assume that guy was talking about how many of the established clothing companies claim it simply cant be done in the USA, which is what i remember aron saying, but i may be wrong cause it was a while ago. Think ive heard him say people at these hunting clothing brands he wears told him as much. Either way its obviously not true, gulch gear, forloh and now origin have found a way to do it. Obviously its just more lucrative to make stuff overseas
Exactly. It's a business decision to make the clothing overseas. Labor costs are a fraction of what they are here. You can even get Gore Tex garments sewn here wearewatershed.com is an approved vendor for Gore Tex in Oregon. To say that the materials aren't available is just a cop out by the manufacturers. I'm glad to see more domestically produced options, competition is good for the segment.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
I will not be replacing all my FL camo just to have “American Made”…Biggest and easiest marketing strategy. To each their own.

Would love to see origin give a % of proceeds for conservation tho..

Last edited:

bobinmi

WKR
If I missed it, just ignore me. Do they have any plans to do solids? I'm not big on the pattern, I try real hard not to look like a Bro Vet.

Bump79

WKR
I will not be replacing all my FL camo just to have “American Made”…Biggest and easiest marketing strategy. To each their own.

Would love to see origin give a % of proceeds for conservation tho..
This is going to sound off... but personally I could care less if a company donates to conservation. They are donating our money. They markup their products, generally overcharge us and donate it to conservation organizations to give us warm and fuzzies.

I would rather keep that money and donate it to the organization of my choice.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
This is going to sound off... but personally I could care less if a company donates to conservation. They are donating our money. They markup their products, generally overcharge us and donate it to conservation organizations to give us warm and fuzzies.

I would rather keep that money and donate it to the organization of my choice.
I get and agree with what your saying, but we are going to get overcharged regardless, especially these days.

-Respectfully

I’m not saying Forloh or Origin aren’t or can’t be technically better, but when you have people in the industry saying the best fabrics are simply not available from US sources (Aron on a recent Kifarucast), some details would be helpful.

There definitely needs to be some sort of deciding criteria for what people define as 'quality' or "better"
A company needs quality materials, quality workmanship, and a good QA dept.

Kuiu (Toray) makes some amazing fabrics
Origin (so far in my experience) makes a great pair of jeans

At the end of the day, I honestly don't care where my clothes are made, but the price should be indicative of quality. Case in point that I always use is some Duluth jeans I bought about 2 years ago. 2x the price of Old Navy jeans and they fell apart faster than Old Navy... I could have spend $20 more and bought some Origin Jeans. And I would have spent the extra $20 if i knew the Duluth would fall apart as fast as they did Also to assume one company makes 'all things great" would be foolish. I know a couple of people who had custom suits made for them from a tailor in Bangkok, and let me tell ya... NICE

Made in America also doesn't mean "quality" but more often than not its certainly higher quality than products made in "Chyna" as our former president would say

Bump79

WKR
Fair but that is to say that a consumer has no say in this market. While it doesn't quite feel like it at the moment a company can realistically only charge us what we're willing to pay for a goods like hunting gear. And as we can see daily on Rokslide we're apparently we're willing to pay the prices they are charging.

If as a community we made the determination that say Sitka wasn't worth the price, decreasing demand and they would be forced to reposition themselves. Necessary commodities are a little different.

Most likely, but the price of a lot of Sitka pieces turns me off altogether on owning anything from that company. $600 jackets and $400 pants are crazy town prices. Are we talking gold plated zippers or what?

Looking at the Origin website, those prices could easily be for quality stuff made overseas. $125 jeans and $380 hand made boots are reasonable. The hoodie, maybe not. Just my $.02.
The price of buying Made in America vs made in china at pennies on the dollar to manufacture in china and cost nearly the same? No brainer! Im supporting Jocko, Cam and the rest of the Origin crew! And i have a bunch of Sitka already. Wonder what the resale price % is on some Sitka camo in good condition is?

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
The price of buying Made in America vs made in china at pennies on the dollar to manufacture in china and cost nearly the same? No brainer! Im supporting Jocko, Cam and the rest of the Origin crew! And i have a bunch of Sitka already. Wonder what the resale price % is on some Sitka camo in good condition is?
I don’t really get all the dudes that are going to sell all their existing quality camo, just to transition to “American Made” camo.

Maybe it’s because I have all the pieces I need, and they are quality, just made in sweatshops…

The real question is, do you want to support Asian seamstress’ or Mexican seamstress’..😁😂🤣

If they start selling some solid color pieces, I’ll check them out.

Camo selection is more about personal preference in fashion these days anyways. Plenty of dudes smoking animals wearing solids.

I don’t really get all the dudes that are going to sell all their existing quality camo, just to transition to “American Made” camo.

Maybe it’s because I have all the pieces I need, and they are quality, just made in sweatshops…

The real question is, do you want to support Asian seamstress’ or Mexican seamstress’..😁😂🤣

If they start selling some solid color pieces, I’ll check them out.

Camo selection is more about personal preference in fashion these days anyways. Plenty of dudes smoking animals wearing solids.
Neither, i want to support America's seamstresses. I dont care if they are Asian, Mexican or African. As long as they are Americans ;)

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Neither, i want to support America's seamstresses. I dont care if they are Asian, Mexican or African. As long as they are Americans ;)

Maybe Mexicans was too specific, but as one, we hate the catch all “Hispanic” phrase, but It would probably be the best descriptor for “cheap ‘American’ labor”….

I would love to see “white” people working for Origin as tailors and seamstresses with a strong livable wage….

That’s what I think of when I try to buy “American Made”…Vs just helping more “White” dudes get wealthy off the cheapest labor available

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
FYI plenty of white folks sewing clothes for Origin.Not that it should matter."American" is all that should.

@originusa on Instagram…post date August 10, 2022…..you will see what I’m talking about….overwhelmingly “Hispanic” sewing force… show me a video where it’s overwhelmingly “non brown” people, sewing away.

Bumping this back up, hoping for some in field reviews. I browsed their vids and website, it doesn't look like they have full on dedicated rain gear? Their Novaloc Charlie layer seems to be their main outer layer, but all I'm seeing is DWR. Has anyone had this stuff out in the PNW and tested how dry it stays?