Joe Rogan and Pot

Billinsd

WKR
I just asked my buddy, who is semi retired physician, with internal medicine, and psychiatry emphasis. He is against pot, except in extreme medical situations. He said it's dumbing down our society, if that's possible. Go figure!!!

Yes, alcohol seems to cause much worse problems than pot and I know lots of alcoholics. Alcohol caused so much havoc it was outlawed by Constitutional Amendement, which was repealed about 12 years later. Lots of Southern States, had, have alcohol regulations. So what? Two wrongs don't make a right.

So why is having a drink or a joint a "wrong"?

So we should start policing ethics? Is it ethically wrong to serve an obese person a Big Mac?

All I am saying is we should not be telling people what they can or cannot put into their bodies. Of coarse we are responsible for our actions and should face the consequences if we do something like drive under the influence.

Last edited:
I just asked my buddy, who is semi retired physician, with internal medicine, and psychiatry emphasis. He is against pot, except in extreme medical situations. He said it's dumbing down our society, if that's possible. Go figure!!!

So you asked a semi retired guy who, strangely enough has two extremely different emphasis in two completely different disciplines.

Seems like your drawing from a pretty limited base to make conclusions from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
So you asked a semi retired guy who, strangely enough has two extremely different emphasis in two completely different disciplines.

Seems like your drawing from a pretty limited base to make conclusions from.

Nothing strange about having 2 medical disciplines and they are are not completly different, the contrary is true. I'd go back and read or re-read my posts before saying I'm drawing my conclusions from a limited base. I think both sides have lots of material to form a wide range of vary different conclusions.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
So we should start policing ethics? Is it ethically wrong to serve an obese person a Big Mac?

All I am saying is we should not be telling people what they can or cannot put into their bodies. Of coarse we are responsible for our actions and should face the consequences if we do something like drive under the influence.
That's your opinion and I mostly agree with you. In our society, we are no longer very responsible for our actions and do not face many if any consequences. We don't need more laws, however, we (parents, teachers, friends, society)should be telling our loved ones to stop harming themselves.

Ethically, it depends who you talk to. Most would say they are both real addictive.

I disagree with this. Or at least I would like to think that the majority of the population doesn't think marijuana is addictive. I have personally witnessed alcohol withdrawal on many occasions. The symptoms to include, profuse sweating, shaking, nausea, vomiting, both auditory and visual hallucinations, seizures, and in some cases death. I have never witnessed or even heard of anyone experiencing any of of these symptoms from marijuana withdrawal. If marijuana is addictive, its addictive properties can be compared to substances like chocolate, or maybe sugar in general. Saying someone is addicted to something, simply because they really enjoy consuming it, and maybe consume a large amount of it, does not necessarily make them "addicted" to that substance.

Justin I am going to assume this was an illegal operation. Which I assume that residents was not zoned, nor permitted to be doing that activity. So no safety inspections, no building code inspections, no ohsa, and probably no one qualified to be using volatile substances.

I don't blame pot for that, I blame unlawful citizens. Extraction in closed loop systems happen everyday in this country for related and non related pot activities.

Yea forsure. Your spot on. Definitely illegal. But the legalization has caused major increase of this behavior. According to police here in the state. These illegal extractions causing explosions are happening weekly in Colorado. Prior to the legalization they werent not occurring at this frequency.

Pretty interesting. The police also say Mexican cartels have a big hand in this type of activity. Focusing on states that have the legalization because it's easier to get away with stuff. I see these things first hand as a firefighter so only passing on what I'm seeing.

Nothing strange about having 2 medical disciplines and they are are not completly different, the contrary is true. I'd go back and read or re-read my posts before saying I'm drawing my conclusions from a limited base. I think both sides have lots of material to form a wide range of vary different conclusions.

I'm not going to keep belaboring the point, the only thing those two disciplines have in common is you have to go to medical school for either, they don't even have the same path to medicine or residency requirements.

Most internal docs would specialize in something that would actually help them, like specific organs or group of organs. Psychiatry is not going to help a doctor diagnose and treat an internal malady, just like internal medicine is not going to be used to diagnose schizophrenia. So yes they are COMPLETELY different.

Both sides have a lot of tightly held beliefs, with a little bit of evidence (most anecdotal) in between, that's exactly why the range of conclusions is so broad regarding marijuana's medicinal uses.

Yea forsure. Your spot on. Definitely illegal. But the legalization has caused major increase of this behavior. According to police here in the state. These illegal extractions causing explosions are happening weekly in Colorado. Prior to the legalization they werent not occurring at this frequency.

Pretty interesting. The police also say Mexican cartels have a big hand in this type of activity. Focusing on states that have the legalization because it's easier to get away with stuff. I see these things first hand as a firefighter so only passing on what I'm seeing.

No I believe you completely, we are not free from these types of issues either, although we have been dealing with it for quite some time. It has become such an issue that our local FD's have actually changed their operating procedures regarding these fires in order to prioritize fireman safety.
Stay safe out there.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Saying someone is addicted to something, simply because they really enjoy consuming it, and maybe consume a large amount of it, does not necessarily make them "addicted" to that substance.
Right

Billinsd

WKR
I'm not going to keep belaboring the point
OK
the only thing those two disciplines have in common is you have to go to medical school for either, they don't even have the same path to medicine or residency requirements.
You know a lot about physicians are you a nurse, medical tech, paramedic, or something like that? You are pretty logical, articulate, intelligent, and know how to carry on an adult conversation
Most internal docs would specialize in something that would actually help them, like specific organs or group of organs.
Sounds logical.
Psychiatry is not going to help a doctor diagnose and treat an internal malady
right
just like internal medicine is not going to be used to diagnose schizophrenia.
right
So yes they are COMPLETELY different.
Yes, they are different. Completely different, not to me. To me internal medicine seems somewhat general and helpful to all the other specialties. Is it necessary, of course not. It's like me, I have a BS in Geology and an MS in Civil Engineering, are both completely different, absolutely not. Are they different, sure are. One is a hard science the other engineering.
Both sides have a lot of tightly held beliefs
Absolutely, just like with most liberal versus conservative issues and this is one of them.
with a little bit of evidence (most anecdotal) in between, that's exactly why the range of conclusions is so broad regarding marijuana's medicinal uses.
I don't know if there is a little or a lot of hard evidence and yes there is lots of anecdotal evidence. I personally tend to view the very liberal pot issue as being pushed hard by the liberals who I believe want to dumb down society, so they can have more control and the hardcore potheads (oxymoron, lol) that just want their weed!!!!. It's like other Liberal issues, like gay rights, environmental issues, and social justice. The liberals won't ever stop.

Last edited:
OK You know a lot about physicians are you a nurse, medical tech, paramedic, or something like that? You are pretty logical, articulate, intelligent, and know how to carry on an adult conversationSounds logical.right rightYes, they are different. Completely different, not to me. To me internal medicine seems somewhat general and helpful to all the other specialties. Is it necessary, of course not. It's like me, I have a BS in Geology and an MS in Civil Engineering, are both completely different, absolutely not. Are they different, sure are. One is a hard science the other engineering. Absolutely, just like with most liberal versus conservative issues and this is one of them. I don't know if there is a little or a lot of hard evidence and yes there is lots of anecdotal evidence. I personally tend to view the very liberal pot issue as being pushed hard by the liberals who I believe want to dumb down society, so they can have more control and the hardcore potheads (oxymoron, lol) that just want their weed!!!!. It's like other Liberal issues, like gay rights, environmental issues, and social justice. The liberals won't ever stop.

My BS is in psychology from Hawaii and I went to Tulane med school, specifically for psychiatry. Internal medicine is absolutely beneficial and I would assume taught to every med student out there, but it deals solely with the body, and not the mind. Most states do not allow people to practice psychiatry without being board certified in that specific discipline. Most general practitioners have never and will never crack open a DSM either as it's not relevant to their field.

Your civil engineering degree could be applied to numerous jobs and fields, Psychiatry degrees are used for one thing, psychiatry. Now there are fields within that, but all are under the umbrella of psychiatry.

I try not to boil everything down to liberal vs conservative as I feel there is a lot of gray area in between on this subject. I would hope conservatives would recognize the tax revenue and the lessened expenditures involved with police enforcement, and liberals would recognize what peoples concerns are with full legalization.

I'm from the camp of legalize because I hope it cuts down on the lawlessness associated with it. I think entirely to much energy and tax dollars are expended on weed related issues, and I believe(hope) that given the choice people will be willing to do it legally, growing, selling, and consuming. Speaking from my experience it's just as easy, if not easier getting weed than alcohol if your under 21, so I don't believe prohibition eliminates access.

As far as medicinal goes I will hold off judgment until peer reviewed science is given more opportunities. I've talked to people who believe it's the best thing since sliced bread, I've also talked to people who think it's the downfall of society. I will support whatever science says.

Last edited:
As far as medicinal goes I will hold off judgment until peer reviewed science is given more opportunities. I've talked to people who believe it's the best thing since sliced bread, I've also talked to people who think it's the downfall of society. I will support whatever science says.

Smart.

I'm not against marijuana per se, because I don't believe anyone has completed THE DEFINITIVE scientific study yet. Might turn out to be really good at healing certain things. I don't know.

But, I don't like marijuana culture. I've seen more than ten stoned 5-8 year-old kids show up at the same elementary school my boys attend (a top 8% school in Colorado). I live on the western slope and that is what the marijuana culture is doing to some of our mountain communities.

MattB

WKR
I disagree with this. Or at least I would like to think that the majority of the population doesn't think marijuana is addictive. I have personally witnessed alcohol withdrawal on many occasions. The symptoms to include, profuse sweating, shaking, nausea, vomiting, both auditory and visual hallucinations, seizures, and in some cases death. I have never witnessed or even heard of anyone experiencing any of of these symptoms from marijuana withdrawal. If marijuana is addictive, its addictive properties can be compared to substances like chocolate, or maybe sugar in general. Saying someone is addicted to something, simply because they really enjoy consuming it, and maybe consume a large amount of it, does not necessarily make them "addicted" to that substance.

After Burnett smartly quoted former surgeon general Jocelyn Elders, who says marijuana is not physically addictive, she asked: Why are getting such mixed messages on this?

"It's so bizarre to me," Pinsky replied. "The political energy around cannabis is such that we can't be truthful or rational about it. I've been treating cannabis addiction for 20 years. When people are addicted to cannabis, cocaine and alcohol the drug they have the most difficult time giving up is the cannabis. It is extremely addictive...for some people. I think that's where people get confused. It's not very addictive for many people. It's a small subset of people with a genetic potential for addiction. But for them it is really tough. You only need talk to them, they'll tell you how tough it is."

Burnett's final question: Now that medical marijuana is legal in 20 states, isn't that going to mean more abuse?

At this point, Pinsky took the opportunity to blast the medical marijuana industry in California, as he's done in the past. "In the last few years since cannabis has been medicalized in California I have not treated one single drug addict who didn't have prescription for marijuana," he poked. "It's just a sham that all my patients, who are drug addicts, have a prescription for the marijuana - and sometimes it's not they're primary drug, they just use it incidentally. I just find it such bad medicine that no one says are you a drug addict, or really looks into that, or checks their urine, does the things they should be doing."

Dr. Drew on Pot: 'It's Extremely Addictive... for Some People'

Billinsd

WKR
My BS is in psychology from Hawaii and I went to Tulane med school, specifically for psychiatry. Internal medicine is absolutely beneficial and I would assume taught to every med student out there, but it deals solely with the body, and not the mind. Most states do not allow people to practice psychiatry without being board certified in that specific discipline. Most general practitioners have never and will never crack open a DSM either as it's not relevant to their field.

Your civil engineering degree could be applied to numerous jobs and fields, Psychiatry degrees are used for one thing, psychiatry. Now there are fields within that, but all are under the umbrella of psychiatry.

I try not to boil everything down to liberal vs conservative as I feel there is a lot of gray area in between on this subject. I would hope conservatives would recognize the tax revenue and the lessened expenditures involved with police enforcement, and liberals would recognize what peoples concerns are with full legalization.

I'm from the camp of legalize because I hope it cuts down on the lawlessness associated with it. I think entirely to much energy and tax dollars are expended on weed related issues, and I believe(hope) that given the choice people will be willing to do it legally, growing, selling, and consuming. Speaking from my experience it's just as easy, if not easier getting weed than alcohol if your under 21, so I don't believe prohibition eliminates access.

I agree with some of what you say. I agree that it would be great if legalizing pot would reduce lawlessness. It's the best in favor of legalizing it, that I can think of. It sure should be decriminalized. Conservatives don't want the government to get more money or power, but would be fine on freeing up the police for more serious issues. I'd be ok if pot was legalized and there was little or no unintended consequences. Prohibition does not prevent access, but it seems logical that it reduces access.

Billinsd

WKR
Smart.

I'm not against marijuana per se, because I don't believe anyone has completed THE DEFINITIVE scientific study yet. Might turn out to be really good at healing certain things. I don't know.

But, I don't like marijuana culture. I've seen more than ten stoned 5-8 year-old kids show up at the same elementary school my boys attend (a top 8% school in Colorado). I live on the western slope and that is what the marijuana culture is doing to some of our mountain communities.
Western slope? You mean Grand Junction West Slope? I would not have figured that. East Slope, Denver, Boulder, sure. Colorado sure ain't what it used to be, sorry to hear that.

Billinsd

WKR
After Burnett smartly quoted former surgeon general Jocelyn Elders, who says marijuana is not physically addictive, she asked: Why are getting such mixed messages on this?

"It's so bizarre to me," Pinsky replied. "The political energy around cannabis is such that we can't be truthful or rational about it. I've been treating cannabis addiction for 20 years. When people are addicted to cannabis, cocaine and alcohol the drug they have the most difficult time giving up is the cannabis. It is extremely addictive...for some people. I think that's where people get confused. It's not very addictive for many people. It's a small subset of people with a genetic potential for addiction. But for them it is really tough. You only need talk to them, they'll tell you how tough it is."

Burnett's final question: Now that medical marijuana is legal in 20 states, isn't that going to mean more abuse?

At this point, Pinsky took the opportunity to blast the medical marijuana industry in California, as he's done in the past. "In the last few years since cannabis has been medicalized in California I have not treated one single drug addict who didn't have prescription for marijuana," he poked. "It's just a sham that all my patients, who are drug addicts, have a prescription for the marijuana - and sometimes it's not they're primary drug, they just use it incidentally. I just find it such bad medicine that no one says are you a drug addict, or really looks into that, or checks their urine, does the things they should be doing."

Dr. Drew on Pot: 'It's Extremely Addictive... for Some People'
My brother calls this addicts walking on the backs of cancer and other patients that benefit from pot to reduce their suffering. Seems like there is a huge prescription drug addiction problem on synthetic heroin.