Joe Rogan podcast: CWD

Im very proud that the little bit of science I injected into this thread has lead to more folks showing their cards. Surprised to see scrapies mentioned after my initial posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the CWD Alarmists are succeeding unfortunately as there is a WHOLE lot of misinformation on this thread, i.e. CWD lowers deer populations, is transmitted via eating brain or spinal cord, vCJD is caused by eating infected animals (theorized but not proven), etc.

Ive hunted for 2 decades in the WI CWD zone. It was discovered in 2002 and since the Whitetail population has gone from 990,000 deer to the current estimates of 1.4 million. These numbers are directly form the WI DNR website. CWD clearly hasn't cause a population decline in Whitetails in WI, nor has it been proven to do so anywhere its been found.

Additionally, I have been hearing a lot of the "biologist" saying things such as, "CWD MAY make the jump to humans" and people instantly interpret that speculative statement as the believe it will make the jump to humans, not likely. Just look at the evidence. In the 50 years its been know in the US a Human has NEVER contracted CWD. Doesn't matter that some alarmist biologist suggests it MAY, keyword being MAY, jump to human. Speculation doesn't make it so or even likely.

I know in WI anyway its harmed deer hunting, but not in harming the deer herd. Its harmed hunting by driving away potential hunters for fear of the disease. The ever ridiculous laws designed to stop it (no wildlife agency has ever stopped the spread by the way) has driven some current hunters away from the sport as theyre fed up. My sister wont let my nephew eat any of my venison nor will she let him start hunting with me even though he has expressed interest. This is due the CWD hysteria created by the media and people like Doug Deuren, a WI resident.

Ted may be a loose cannon but he is right in resisting the CWD hysteria. Its ill effects are WAY overblown in my experience of living and hunting for two decades in a "CWD Zone". Ive never personally seen a sick deer nor has anyone ive know and we hunt in the heart of the eradication zone.

The Canadian study has shown CWD spread to monkeys that ingested infected meat from deer that were CWD positive that had no obvious illness. We share over 99% DNA with primates. I would test any deer in an infected area before feeding to my family.

DA

"Eighteen macaques have been exposed to CWD in various ways to study the transmission potential of the disease.

Three of five macaques that were fed infected white-tailed deer meat over a three-year period tested positive for CWD.

The meat fed to the macaques represented the human equivalent of eating a 7-ounce steak per month.

Macaques that had the CWD prion injected into their brains also contracted the disease.

Those that had infected material rubbed on their skin — designed to simulate contact a hunter might have while field dressing a deer — have not contracted the disease."

"a study begun in 2009 by Canadian and German scientists is evaluating whether CWD can be transmitted to macaques, a type of monkey that is genetically closer to people than any other animal that has been infected with CWD previously. On July 10, 2017, the scientists presented a summary of the study’s progress (access the recorded presentation and slides[PDF 3.88MB]), in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e., deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD. CWD was also able to spread to macaques that had the infectious material placed directly into their brains."

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html

CDC website

"Eighteen macaques have been exposed to CWD in various ways to study the transmission potential of the disease.

Three of five macaques that were fed infected white-tailed deer meat over a three-year period tested positive for CWD.

The meat fed to the macaques represented the human equivalent of eating a 7-ounce steak per month.

Macaques that had the CWD prion injected into their brains also contracted the disease.

Those that had infected material rubbed on their skin — designed to simulate contact a hunter might have while field dressing a deer — have not contracted the disease."

Despite sharing 93% of our DNA (it NOT 99%), Macaques most definitely are not humans. I mean, we share 60% with chickens and fruit flies, 84% with dogs. Doesn't mean diseases of fruit flies, chickens, and dogs can all cross the species barrier either. Though you might reach some degree of fame if you were to contract fruit fly flu or some such thing. :D:D:D

Additionally, i find it interesting when CWD Alarmist like to point to ONE study such as this one as "proof" of the dangers of CWD yet they ignore the endless data out there showing literally tens of thousand of CWD infected deer have likely been eaten by humans in the last 50 years, hell maybe more, yet not one of us have contracted the disease. But show one study where biologists spend three straight years doing their damndest to infect some macaques, including injecting prions directly into their brain which bypasses the blood brain barrier, and damn, we are all gonna die. Come on man!

But ill be sure to avoid injecting prions directly into my brain as a result of this study :D

Last edited: