John Deer 4044 disappointment

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Bought a 2022 JD 4044, first new vehicle I've ever bought, I've made 7 service calls on it with less than 100hrs on the tractor. Couple piddly things, wires coming undone (guessing they weren't fully engaged in the clips), hydraulic lever coming apart , etc. Hydraulic system stuck open and they said the fluid had to be replaced, said it was my fault (possible...., when asked how I would know, I was told to listen for a constant clicking, under the seat, never heard) $900 on that one (not covered under warranty).

The biggest kick in the nuts, is that they redesigned the "filter" for the radiator, it now is on the grill instead of sitting in front of the actual radiator. Hydraulic cooler sits in front of radiator blocking access to radiator. So.... the tractor constantly wants to overheat d/t fine particles getting past the "filter". The suggested fix is to disassemble the entire front clip of the tractor every few hours of use and pressure wash or use an air compressor wand to clean out the radiator. I had it back for less than 3 hours yesterday and had to stop and clean the radiator.

Near 40k tractor and can't mow my fields. If someone has a direct line to JD brass, or a fix for the issue I'm all ears.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
No fan in between radiator and hydraulic cooler (1/2” gap) best option I can think of is a flexible heat resistant foam framed screen that would slide between the two. Problem is there is no straight shot to slide in said frame.

You should be able to make a screen to slide between the coolers. It's dumb if they removed it, but I believe it. Depending on time of year I sometimes need to pull screen every hour to clean while bush hogging. Takes a much larger tractor to get the electric fan you can reverse.

Should be a way to lockout the hydraulics so they won't constantly pump, they will still work, but they won't hit the detent to constantly pump.

Good luck on any one caring. I find their stuff to be hit and miss, some is best in the industry, much is not the quality of the price it sells for.
Not familiar with your tractor tho.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2010 3032E baby tractor that I bought brand new, I've never had any problems with it at all and I've abused that thing. However, I bought a brand new zero turn mower two years ago, not impressed with it at all, several issues, the most recent being a short in the electrical system that killed it dead in the middle of mowing, took them a week to figure it out but they did and they got it back to me immediately after it was finally repaired, the dealership I have here has been great at solving the issues and even working to make sure all of it is covered under warranty. Not impressed with their newer equipment but I am pleased with their dealer.

They don't make them like they use to. Any new vehicle, I tend to shop the dealer more than the actual vehicle. I document the hell out of problems, so they cannot BS you. Be familiar with the operators manual for operation, as well as maintaining. If it references the clicking sound, then it is documented. Otherwise, they are blowing smoke up your ass. Seven service calls is too many in my opinion. I would escalate the documented problems above their head on a regional or higher level. Sugar goes a long way over demanding. I wish I could tell my younger self...😀. Keep pushing until you get some action. Good luck!

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Kubota dealer is 1.5hrs away, which seemed too far, but if I knew that I wouldn't have any issues it'd be mighty tempting. Did a lot of research and thought I picked the Toyota of tractors.. They made a boneheaded change.

I'm def to the point of firmly but kindly escalating the issue beyond the local dealer.

Fullfan

WKR
Green paint is never worth it. Have orange tractors going on 30 years old w no problems.
Good luck the green.

Man I own alot of Johndeere equipment and some has had it flaws but over all happy. My dealer wouldn’t sell me a 4044. He said they were complete junk. I know two guys who have bought them and they have the same issues more or less. I know how hard it is to do what Im suggesting. How ever I’d trade it in on r series and or just go with kubota. It pains me to say this but kubotas compacts are just better. I sold my johndeere compact last year knowing I was replacing it this year. I’m 95% sure I’ll end up going orange after a lot of research.